PDA

View Full Version : Stretching for flexibility

IrishCoffee
2/26/2009 7:07pm,
Hey folks, been yonks since I last posted here, but anyhow.

Been out injured for the last 6 months so no gym, training, nothing, to my disappointment, but I'm getting back into it again.

One thing besides loss of size and strength (I lost a stone in weight and the arms lost around an inch, for example), is my flexibility. Now, at my brief time at Kung-fu (DON'T GO TO TOWN ON THAT) I picked up a lot of stretching techniques, but predominantly for the legs, and I was wondering would any more experienced MA veterans know of any books/links I should look at in regards to upper body and all-body stretching?

Cheers

IC

Uncle Skippy
2/27/2009 1:15am,
First, make sure you come back slowly. Turning around from injured to active takes time and patience. Coming back too hard will cause more issues :-P

Here is a link to a thread that discusses different types of stretching:

Stretching in Detail - No BS Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21555)

And here is a book that I can recommend. It has a good foundation in research and discusses WHY certain types of stretching are good or bad based on that research.

Amazon.com: Stretching Scientifically: A Guide to Flexibility Training (4th Revision ed): Thomas Kurz: Books (http://www.amazon.com/Stretching-Scientifically-Flexibility-Training-Revision/dp/0940149451/)

Stretching routines are important as well. Generally, stretch larger muscle groups first (back, then hamstrings, then abs/core, then quads, then calves, then delts, then upper arms, etc...). That is a *general* routine though. Yours may vary depending on what needs the most attention.

Hope that helps and, again, ease back into things. Take it from a guy who has had 2 back surgeries within a year's time of each other. :-)

patfromlogan
2/28/2009 8:36pm,
I'm an old fart and I usually just kick the bag to stay loose. If you do stretch, don't do it before working out, as it increases the chances of injuries. I mean static stretches, like splits. Dynamic, like leg lifts and swing arms are good and warm one up, just start slow.