PDA

View Full Version : New Guy Checking In

LaconicGuy
2/26/2009 4:14pm,
I finally registered after lurking for a long time.

I'm thinking about getting back into martial arts myself, and I'm also looking at getting my daughter some instruction as well. She's told me she is interested in learning something, but she's only four right now. I'll make a final call when I decide she can handle it, and I find a school I like with kids programs.

I studied Tracy and Parker style Kenpo when I was in high school ('89-'93), but I never got very highly ranked in either system. This was at the American Academy of Self Defense in Evergreen Park, IL, under Mr. Ray Pohl. This (http://www.asd-ep.com/index.htm) appears to be their current page. I liked the instructors. The martial art was relatively effective for at least high school fist fights, and I prefered it to the Tae Kwon Do that was taught down the street.

I currently live in the same area around Oak Lawn, in the Southwest Neighborhoods surrounding Chicago, so if anyone knows of some quality schools or instructors (especially with kids programs) please let me know. Google returns too few or too many results and the phone book is less than helpful.

Thank you for your time.

ignatzami
2/26/2009 4:39pm,
A quick look on Google reveals a ton of options in your area. So, are you looking for striking or grappling?

If striking, then boxing or Muay Thai or Kick boxing.
If grappling, Judo or BJJ.

I would recommend the Judo as both you and your daughter could train together, Judo clubs tend to have good kids classes, and the techniques are applicable. Not to mention it's cheap and widely available. I saw no fewer then a dozen Judo schools near/in Chicago.

So, Judo! and Welcome to Bullshido!

.... See what I did there, it rhymes!

LaconicGuy
2/27/2009 10:16am,
Thanks for the advice. I'm actually considering Judo classes at some of the local places. I know my background is in striking, but I'd like to get some grappling and ground instruction as well.

Lagg
2/28/2009 3:06am,
Thanks for the advice. I'm actually considering Judo classes at some of the local places. I know my background is in striking, but I'd like to get some grappling and ground instruction as well.

judo clubs are likely to have programs for young kids. At age 4, it maybe more judo inspired gym class, but it will at least wear her out.

Plenty of threads with on the forum recommending judo for kids.

LaconicGuy
3/08/2009 7:33pm,
judo clubs are likely to have programs for young kids. At age 4, it maybe more judo inspired gym class, but it will at least wear her out.

Plenty of threads with on the forum recommending judo for kids.
Thanks. I know I want to learn some grappling as well. I'm trying to convince the wife to join with us.

If it earns me a couple hours of peace by tuckering the kid out ... well worth it. Boundless energy in that one.

Coincidentally, I have a friend looking for Judo/Jiu Jitsu classes for his kids too, who is lamenting that the only Gracie school is the very expensive and difficult to get to Gracie Barra school on the North Side. I've found Judo at the local park district, but nothing like a dedicated school nearby.