PDA

View Full Version : Making Fedor Laugh: The Slate Interview

1point2
2/26/2009 12:25pm,
http://www.slate.com/id/2211882/entry/2211886/

Reporter interviews the Sambo & MMA champ after he loses to a Bulgarian (a Bulgarian! The shame!) in the Sambo championships. Humor and minor insight ensue.

Hiro Protagonist
2/26/2009 12:33pm,
Brillant article, +rep for sharing.

Goju - Joe
2/26/2009 12:45pm,
Fedor finished his shower and dressed in jeans and an Affliction T-shirt, a major MMA sponsor whose aesthetic style is Goth Barf.

This right here...

UpaLumpa
2/26/2009 2:43pm,
What a great article.
Sambo Steve is in the following one.

1point2
2/26/2009 2:59pm,
Wow, yeah, part 4 is awesome. The author even mentions his wariness of uke-tori demos where tori is the revered teacher.

Uncle Skippy
2/26/2009 3:14pm,
That was a great story. Excellent content and well written. Fedor is top-class.

However childish of me it is to admit, this is the line that stood out for me though:

Fedor finished his shower and dressed in jeans and an Affliction T-shirt, a major MMA sponsor whose aesthetic style is Goth Barf.Goth Barf. I couldn't stop laughing.

EDIT: Helps if I read Goju-Joe's post 3 above me and not repeat. :-P

TheMightyMcClaw
2/26/2009 11:10pm,
Wow, yeah, part 4 is awesome. The author even mentions his wariness of uke-tori demos where tori is the revered teacher.

Matt Polly is a really great writer; he's the same guy who wrote American Shaolin, wherein he recounts how he lost his faith in the practicality of forms and TCMA.

Siniq
2/26/2009 11:20pm,
http://www.slate.com/id/2211882/entry/2211886/

Reporter interviews the Sambo & MMA champ after he loses to a Bulgarian (a Bulgarian! The shame!).
I hope that was a joke!

Demon Eyes
2/26/2009 11:36pm,
That was a very entertaining and well written read.
Also, "Goth Barf," excellent description.

3moose1
2/27/2009 12:36am,
that was fantastic!

Demon Eyes
2/27/2009 1:20am,
Matt Polly is a really great writer; he's the same guy who wrote American Shaolin, wherein he recounts how he lost his faith in the practicality of forms and TCMA.

That seals the deal for me. Next time I hit the book store, I will purchase that book. I see it every time I go in but I was always skeptical of it.

sambosteve
3/01/2009 9:35pm,
It is a fun read. Matt is a good guy. He trains with me in NYC. We had a good time in Russia together. I liked his article. I love his descriptions of my coach (Alex Barakov), they are spot on. You guys will love alex in the travel channel show we just finished shooting.

Jack Rusher
3/05/2009 9:07pm,
Quick fact check:

"How's it going?" I asked Reilly Bodycomb, a hipster Manhattanite member of the team
... isn't Reilly a Brooklynite?

Nice article. :smile:

Don Gwinn
3/06/2009 12:13am,
He pulled Gleb aside to demonstrate. Alex faked a punch to Gleb's stomach, stopping just inches from impact, causing Gleb to pull back, then Alex faked a punch to Gleb's head, causing him to tip backward. Then he gently twisted Gleb's neck, causing him to fall to the ground.
I've learned to be suspicious of these master-disciple performances. The student has been conditioned to allow his teacher to look good, especially when an outsider is watching. So when Alex offered to demonstrate on me, I steeled myself.
He faked a punch to my groin. I doubled over and raised my left knee to block. He immediately reached down and pinched my inner thigh hard enough that I twirled in a circle and extended my left arm. Switching attacks, he pressed his right hand under my left elbow to straighten, raise, and extend it, while at the same time grabbing two of my fingers with his left and bending them back to the point of breaking. Then he walked me, on my tippy-toes, toward the door, saying in a mock official voice to the class, "Step aside, step aside, this man has had too much to drink."
I am half Alex's age and almost twice his size, and he got me to the door like he was teaching a toddler to walk.
"This," Alex whispered to me, "is how the Soviet police used to arrest political suspects."

I'm having a hard time picturing how this works, particularly the part where he pinches your inner thigh, which causes you to spin in a circle and fling out your left arm.

sambosteve
3/06/2009 9:39am,
There's no technique specifically...he just goes for what you give him. Alex is like 5'5" and Matt is 6'4" so when he raised his leg to block the groin, his thigh was probably right there in front of Alex. It was a playful thing..the pinch...to make a point I suspect.

Don Gwinn
3/06/2009 10:04am,
I suspect Matt was being "playful" with his account. But he makes it sound like a secret nerve-pinch that caused an involuntary ballet display. Just struck me funny.