PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Muay Thai

yank103
2/21/2009 7:13pm,
Can any one recomend any decent places to train MT around East London and the border of Essex?

I'm up for anything though so please make recomendations if there are any good alternatives around.#

EDIT - had a looks and found these;
http://www.ko-muaythai.com/
http://www.muaythai.org.uk/

Anyone been here before?

patfromlogan
2/23/2009 12:51am,
Hello, I'd change or rewrite your thread title to Looking for MT near East London. The title is too vague to attract the Brits who you want to notice. But I'd go with the first one cause they have girls!

yank103
2/23/2009 2:14am,
Hello, I'd change or rewrite your thread title to Looking for MT near East London. The title is too vague to attract the Brits who you want to notice.

Thanks, point taken and edited.

patfromlogan
2/23/2009 11:53pm,
Well, we tried. I guess the Brits are busy having knockers and wank, or whatever they call that smudge they serve in pubs. Personally, I like it, but I have very little class, being mostly Irish.

recourse
2/23/2009 11:59pm,
Like love you'll find Muay Thai when you aren't looking.

Right in the face.

yank103
2/24/2009 2:11am,
OK, I will try out both of these gyms next week and take it from there.

What should I be looking for from a good MT place?

retrograde
2/24/2009 7:14am,
In no particular order:

Does the instructor have competition experience? Is that experience under Full Thai Rules, or just kickboxing? Have they spent time training in Thailand?

Do they spar regularly?

Do they train elbows and knees? Do they regularly train clinch-work/standing grappling?

Do they have a fight team? What is their record like? Do they have any titles? Do they compete under Thai rules?

Do the fighters train with or apart from the rest of the students? Is their training siginificantly different from yours?

Do the trainer/s spend time helping you with technique, or do you spend a lot of time kicking and punching the air/bags without instruction? What is the trainer-to-student ratio? Are there classes with 20 to 30 students and only one trainer?

Most of these aren't essential (sparring is; knees, elbows and clinching are if you want to actually learn MT and not KB; I wouldn't want to train under someone who had no ring experience) but all are signs of a good gym or things to bear in mind.

I have no objections to fighters training apart from the rest of the crew, but some gyms do have awesome fight teams made of the chosen few and lame cardio classes with no sparring for everyone else. You probably don't want that.

(some non-MT things to check out: what are the prices like? Do you need to sign a contract? If so, what are the terms? How many classes do they offer and how many will you be able and allowed to attend? Do they have facilities you consider acceptable? Do they have enough equipment to go around?)

I can tell you that KO has a strong fight team and pro fighters and is a very well-known, reputable gym. I have no idea whether they tick the other boxes, though, you'll have to go find out for yourself. I don't know anything about the other gym.

PointyShinyBurn
2/24/2009 7:40am,
I train here: http://www.londonfightfactory.net/

The MT classes are quite young, so we've yet to start putting out fighters.