PDA

View Full Version : The Martial Arts Journey

killjoy_v
2/21/2009 1:49pm,
Ever since I can remember I have fascinated with the martial arts. To me they are a thing of both beauty and deadly force, although my parents never let me when I have younger to enter into any sort of martial art on a count of asthma. When I was in college I finally had the opportunity to enter into kickboxing, granted I did learn many things but I had a problem with the style, in fact I would question techniques, which is a big no, no but being as of it some it seemed to be a load of bs, I would question again and again what would work in a real fight.
Then I realized something about the style I was learning, it was meant to teach you to fight in tournaments, something that I did not set out to do. The health benefits were good but being a kid that was bullied in school, I knew that some of the stuff they were teaching would get you killed especially if the other guy was biting or attempting to break a limp.
I left this style because it started to kind of bore me and so I went to find another dojo this time karate but once again more of the same dogmatic crap that comes with every dojo. We are the best, fight in tournaments, blah, blah, blah. During this time though I met a man outside of the dojo who was a former marine back in Vietnam, he showed me stuff that actually helped me improve upon myself as an individual and made me a better fighter.
After I had left the dojo and lost contact with one of only two men I have ever considered to be a master, I married and was introduced to a my father in law, the ex green beret. After some convincing, I finally got him to show me some of his techniques he had gathered through the years but being that he has a bad heart and bad knees, he could only show me something’s but he taught me a lot.
There you have it, me as a martial artist, I have not written this to offend anyone. I'm just curious if there is a style of martial arts that doesn't shove how they are greatest down your throat three days out of the week and expect you to enter tournaments just because you signed up for a few classes. I have looked into a jeet kune do but unfortunately where I'm at the only dojo for that is long gone but at least I still have the book from Bruce Lee, which has helped me to know what to use and what not to use but I want to refine my skills as a martial artist just so I can improve upon mine and others lives.

CoffeeFan
2/21/2009 2:18pm,
Killjoy-

This post belongs in Newbietown forum, where people make there introductions and talk about their history. This forum (MABS) is for the investigation of fraudulent martial art claims. In the future I would pay close attention to the descriptions of the threads and make sure to read the stickies (the threads that say READ ME on them).

HonkyTonkMan
2/21/2009 3:00pm,
Ever since I can remember I have fascinated with the martial arts. To me they are a thing of both beauty and deadly force, although my parents never let me when I have younger to enter into any sort of martial art on a count of asthma. When I was in college I finally had the opportunity to enter into kickboxing, granted I did learn many things but I had a problem with the style, in fact I would question techniques, which is a big no, no but being as of it some it seemed to be a load of bs, I would question again and again what would work in a real fight.
Then I realized something about the style I was learning, it was meant to teach you to fight in tournaments, something that I did not set out to do. The health benefits were good but being a kid that was bullied in school, I knew that some of the stuff they were teaching would get you killed especially if the other guy was biting or attempting to break a limp.
I left this style because it started to kind of bore me and so I went to find another dojo this time karate but once again more of the same dogmatic crap that comes with every dojo. We are the best, fight in tournaments, blah, blah, blah. During this time though I met a man outside of the dojo who was a former marine back in Vietnam, he showed me stuff that actually helped me improve upon myself as an individual and made me a better fighter.
After I had left the dojo and lost contact with one of only two men I have ever considered to be a master, I married and was introduced to a my father in law, the ex green beret. After some convincing, I finally got him to show me some of his techniques he had gathered through the years but being that he has a bad heart and bad knees, he could only show me something’s but he taught me a lot.
There you have it, me as a martial artist, I have not written this to offend anyone. I'm just curious if there is a style of martial arts that doesn't shove how they are greatest down your throat three days out of the week and expect you to enter tournaments just because you signed up for a few classes. I have looked into a jeet kune do but unfortunately where I'm at the only dojo for that is long gone but at least I still have the book from Bruce Lee, which has helped me to know what to use and what not to use but I want to refine my skills as a martial artist just so I can improve upon mine and others lives.

Can we please move this idiocy in blue to say trollshido?

TheBCM
2/21/2009 11:00pm,
I have no experience, knowledge, or credibility at this point, but I know that the answers you're going to get are:

BJJ for grappling
Judo for throws / grappling
Muay Thai / boxing for striking

and if you want something more traditional,

Kyokushin karate for striking.

Avoid Wing Chun / Ving Tsun / Ving Chun / Wing Tsun / _ing _un, Ninjutsu / Bujinkan, Aikido, etc etc etc arts that don't teach or spar in an alive manner, compare prices to ensure you don't join a McDojo, and make sure to check out classes before you decide to join any dojo / club / class.

But what do I know?

danniboi07
2/22/2009 12:54am,
No, I wouldn't have said any of those. This guy is put off by "Sport Fighting" in tournaments, but doesn't want an MA that is too full of itself.

So that rules out BJJ, MT, Judo, Kyokushin, Boxing, etc.

The latter criterium then rules out -ing -un, ninjutsu, etc.

This guy truly doesn't want to do MA. However, from what I've read he sounds like he wants to join the military. More power to him.

Won Dom Fok
2/22/2009 1:44am,
Krav Maga might be pretty close to the "animal" he is looking for.

TheBCM
2/22/2009 5:01am,
Then join the army. I don't know.