PDA

View Full Version : Can you tell me an efficient, slightly dirty martial art from Asia/Far East?

Pages : [1] 2

amely
2/20/2009 3:03am,
I'm trying to find a martial art that perhaps is a little bit less arty and more to the point -- efficient in close combat, not a lot of strokes, and maybe is a little bit like fighting dirty (the last part is optional). Must come from Asia or the Far East (no Krav Maga, for example). Thanks so much!

DunkelAnanas
2/20/2009 3:09am,
Welcome amely!

I think muay thai might be right up your alley.

Steve
2/20/2009 3:18am,
Must come from Asia or the Far East (no Krav Maga, for example).

Why does it have to come from "Asia or the Far East"?

Ian G.R.
2/20/2009 3:39am,
What is the difference between the Far East and what we normally think of as Asia?
also
/parrot Kyokushinkai karate, Muay Thai

SQUAWK

JKDChick
2/20/2009 4:23am,
Any Philipino art.

Asriel
2/20/2009 4:59am,
Kali?

Neildo
2/20/2009 5:05am,
Any Philipino art.

damn beat me to it.:XXbazooka

CrackFox
2/20/2009 5:28am,
What is the difference between the Far East and what we normally think of as Asia?

In the U.K., sometimes people say "Asia", when they mean the just the Indian Subcontinent.

Amely, beware of martial arts that claim to teach lethal dirty moves, as these tend to be very difficult to train. Pretending to bite or eye-gouge your opponent is not the same as actually doing it. Not by a long shot.

I think you're better off getting a base in a martial art that uses moves you can practice repeatedly against a fully resisting opponent. Once you know how to punch/throw/choke somebody who really doesn't want to be punched/thrown/choked, figuring out how to poke them in the eye or kick them in the balls shouldn't be too difficult.

DerAuslander
2/20/2009 8:39am,
Falling under JKDChick's response;

Since you said something equivalent to Krav, I'd recommend Panantukan & Dumog.

NJM
2/20/2009 9:33am,
Muay Thai.

I'm trying to find a martial art that perhaps is a little bit less arty and more to the point -- efficient in close combat, not a lot of strokes,

Oh, whoops. There isn't really that much strokin' in Muay Thai.

TKD?

Ming Loyalist
2/20/2009 9:34am,
Must come from Asia or the Far East (no Krav Maga, for example). Thanks so much!

choosing a martial art based on the area it came from is one of the worst plans possible. it's unfortunately common, but that doesn't make it any better of a plan.

i cannot think of a single legit reason to favor one art over another based on national origin.

your decision should be based on what school/gym in your area has the best program for you and your needs. you should attend trial classes at the available schools, and then make your decision based on those experiences.

any other plan of action is pure folly.

amely
2/20/2009 10:54am,
Muay Thai looks good -- I like the use of "8 limbs." Any of the mentioned martial arts also use the head as a weapon?

patfromlogan
2/20/2009 10:58am,
Any Philipino art.I'll have you know that the Philipinos bathe as much as anyone else.

Muay Thai looks good -- I like the use of "8 limbs." Any of the mentioned martial arts also use the head as a weapon?
Just about all the arts use 'head butt to the face' as a response to grab. Controlling the head is more interesting, like grab the beard and the back of the head and craaank.

Eudemic
2/20/2009 2:20pm,

Krav Maga does. . .

I'm pretty sure Panantukan includes headbutts as well.

What's in your area?

Matt Phillips
2/20/2009 2:28pm,
Falling under JKDChick's response;

Since you said something equivalent to Krav, I'd recommend ... Dumog.

Ooo! Ooo! Pinching and biting! Nice and dirty ;)

Matt Phillips
2/20/2009 2:28pm,
P.S. Krav is from Asia