PDA

View Full Version : judo grading

ajdaemon
2/16/2009 7:52am,
i've just started judo, and straight away noticed how much they rely on the japanese words. and was wondering whiether you had to know the japanese words to pass a grading?

partyboy
2/16/2009 8:43am,
no. but it helps to know the throws

1point2
2/16/2009 8:48am,
They won't refer to the throws in English, so if they have a formal grading (instead of just handing you a belt, which may happen--especially for lower ranks) and call techniques out verbally or from a list, you'll need to match the throw, pin, choke, or lock to its Japanese name.

That's not really your major concern right now; just keep your head down and the Japanese you'll need to know will solve itself. When I started karate I thought the most important thing was knowing how to count correctly...turns out nobody cares until a month or two has passed and you know it anyway.

Mtripp
2/16/2009 8:59am,
Yes, you will have to know the japaneese terms for techniques and referee command

v1y
2/16/2009 12:29pm,
While i'm generally anti-japanophile, I like the argument that you can tell a judoka from russia that you have a good "kata guruma" and they'll know what you're talking about.

han090
2/16/2009 12:56pm,
plus, if you travel, it's good that everyone knows the same words for start and stop.

danniboi07
2/16/2009 1:01pm,
yeah, just don't worry about it. Eventually you hear the name so often that it becomes a part of your vocabulary just like any other English word.

ajdaemon
2/19/2009 10:55am,
thx for all the replys. and i'll keep all the info inmind.