PDA

View Full Version : Is the end of the McDojo?

Pages : [1] 2

Classified
2/15/2009 8:19pm,
I think this is the best place for this topic. If not, feel free to put it where you think it belongs.

Mcdojos (particularly ones that sell belts) cater to a certain demographic which are usually people who are unwilling to put in the blood sweat and tears to earn their rank. In the place of hard work, these students are more than willing to pony up their cash for a colored belt.

With the current economic crisis now unfolding, a lot of people are revaluating their finances and they may come to the conclusion that putting down 2 grand for that black belt program may not have been a good idea.

I think there is going to be more people breaking their contracts because martial arts lessons are just a luxury they can't afford.

What do you all think?

mike321
2/16/2009 1:01am,
Cutting back on stuff for the kids is often the last thing sacrificed from non-essentials in families. Unfortunately, I think serious schools will suffer more because they rely more on adult students.

Hesperus
2/16/2009 2:26am,
Mcdojos (particularly ones that sell belts) cater to a certain demographic which are usually people who are unwilling to put in the blood sweat and tears to earn their rank. In the place of hard work, these students are more than willing to pony up their cash for a colored belt.

Thanks, 'cause I had no idea in the world what a McDojo was.

Siniq
2/16/2009 2:32am,
Untill they ban bad MAs, with a law it's not going to stop.

Hooded Justice
2/16/2009 2:45am,
The economy won't stop them. They can't be bargained with, they can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity or remorse or fear and they absolutely will not stop until you overpay for your training.
http://www.martinwildig.com/pictures/kylereese_1.jpg

JKDChick
2/16/2009 2:48am,
Points for the reference HJ.

Squerlli
2/16/2009 3:00am,
Points for the reference HJ.

OMFG KOALA BEAR!!!

bigriver07040
2/16/2009 3:13am,
Cutting back on stuff for the kids is often the last thing sacrificed from non-essentials in families. Unfortunately, I think serious schools will suffer more because they rely more on adult students.

Most parents will not cut back on the kids activities, if you run a real dojo one can only hope. but the McDojo's keep handing out the rank just to keep the students paying and the students do not learn anything useful.

Hesperus
2/16/2009 3:22am,
Most parents will not cut back on the kids activities, if you run a real dojo one can only hope. but the McDojo's keep handing out the rank just to keep the students paying and the students do not learn anything useful.

Hey guys, let's see how many more times we can define common knowledge terms!

BBQBeefHulaHoop
2/16/2009 9:57am,
I hope to god (or any other relatively benign deity who can change stuff without destroying people's lives) that the answer is yes clarified with soon. I unfortunately have the perceptive powers of Captain Carrot when it comes to spotting fraud which means I have to spend a stupid amount of time looking into an organisations background before I'll even think of joining them. This hasn't stopped me from joining a Wing Chun McDojo (not ripping on Wing Chun it really was a McDojo) and attending religiously until I became unemployed and couldn't afford to go any more. Found out about the McDojo part after handing over my money but there's a lesson for you (i.e. waits until you'd have to be blind and/or dead before making itself utterly clear).

ttankzero
2/16/2009 10:22am,
Honestly, McDojos fill a niche that let them survive and be lucritive. They exist in order to help kids who want a boost to their self confidence and need an introduction to being active to actually start doing something. It's always the problem with children and over-protective parents, that if they see someone getting hurt, regardless of the atmosphere or friendly circumstances, they immediately quit and they will play video games or watch TV in the time which they would otherwise be practicing their non-effective martial arts.

A lot of the kids and adults have no place to ever be called a combatative martial artist. But it at least improves them in some ways with coordination and focus. I've seen kids that have been helped a lot by McDojos, even if they'll never be able to fight their way out of a paper bag.

It breaks my heart to see blackbelts that can't fight and out-of-shape flabby adults not apply themselves to become the fighters they have the potential to be... but by concious decision or delusion, that's not what they're paying for. They like the pace and it's better for them than doing nothing.

It's camp sadness, but so long as people like that exist, McDojos are an unavoidable side-effect IMO.

cuatro76
2/16/2009 11:53am,
Even if the economy effected McDojos to the point of shutting down, the head instructors would just start over when the economy recovers. You would have a "rebirth" of the McDojo. Possibly with a more unscrupolous business plan to compensate for tough times.

Squerlli
2/16/2009 1:35pm,
THERE'S A FUCKING KOALA BEAR IN THIS THREAD!!!

HOLY **** GUYS!!!

FUCKING
KO-
A-
LA
BEAR!!!

MrJ
2/16/2009 1:52pm,
It's safe to say there will be a lot less dollars chasing gym memberships in general and McDojo fees, as many people will cut back on discretionary spending for the next year or two. I can't really give an educated guess on how the quality of the school will correlate with market exit (i.e. closing down school).

Schools of varying quality will have some name (brand) recognition in local areas, solid financial position and so forth. There could be small excellent quality schools with a good reputation, dedicated students and low costs that will thrive. There could be schools with varying degrees of McDojo tendencies that continue to enjoy commercial success even though their local market share or profitability could decline. That's just my best guess - it would be interesting to see what other posters who operate a school have to say about this.

KO'd N DOA
2/16/2009 2:00pm,
Near my house there is a McDonalds that has been converted into an Aikido, and TKD school - yet it is still not a McDojo - other than the fact that it is technically a McDojo - it is still not a McDojo or McDojang.

Neither are there any Koala...

Siniq
2/16/2009 2:01pm,
Mcdojo isnt in danger, but Bjj...?