PDA

View Full Version : Hey! New from Corpus Christi, TX.

DynamiteRich
2/15/2009 11:30am,
Hey guys! Name's Rich and I'm from Corpus Christi, Texas. I'm unsuccessfully hunting for Judo, JJJ, or Full Contact Karate in my area. My city has Tae Kwon Do, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Mixed Martial Arts, and a number of boxing gyms, but none of those really interest me. At least no to the degree that Judo does.

Any information on Judo, Jujutsu, or legitimate Karate in the Corpus Christi area would be MUCH appreciated. Thanks!

BJJbot
2/15/2009 11:31am,
We knew you could do it! DynamiteRich posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

thaclient
2/15/2009 12:42pm,
Rich,

Did you see this school and is it close to you?

http://www.lopezjudoacademy.com/

DynamiteRich
2/15/2009 2:13pm,
Actually, I hadn't been able to find that. Thanks, man. I'll try to get in touch with them. Hope they're still around and all that jazz. Serious thanks, man.

AMF
2/15/2009 3:10pm,
PM me. I live in AP, just 30 short minutes away.

Oh and welcome.

AMF
2/15/2009 3:19pm,
There is also an Isshin Ryu School there;

http://www.academyofasianmartialarts.com/san_bao_009.htm

Why the intrest in JJJ, Judo, and Karate?

DynamiteRich
2/15/2009 3:30pm,
Seems that JJJ would have the right mix of stand-up and grappling techniques that I'm interested in, but I like the sport aspect of Judo. And full contact karate (a la Kyokushin) is just awesome and manly.

AMF
2/15/2009 3:48pm,
Seems that JJJ would have the right mix of stand-up and grappling techniques that I'm interested in, but I like the sport aspect of Judo. And full contact karate (a la Kyokushin) is just awesome and manly.

Just do Judo then, it will give you the most for your money.

As far as the karate there's the Isshin ryu place on the website I mentioned above and a Shorin Ryu place with no website:
Shorin Ryu Karate
Address: 2709 Swantner St, Corpus Christi, TX 78404

Send me a private message and we can chat.

thaclient
2/15/2009 3:53pm,
Not a problem, hopefully they are still around (I noticed the copyright from 2005 on the webpage just now). Most Judo places I've seen don't have slick websites a la BJJ schools. I think it's because a lot of them are run like a club and there isn't a huge profit margin. On the bright side, if that place is still around it meets at a Catholic School which means it probably won't be too expensive for you to take Judo (no rent, low overhead, etc.). Hopefully you'll find what you are looking for.

I'm kind of in the same boat- wanting to take Judo but not really a school around. There is a new club opening very close to me with an instructor with great credentials but he only does kids for now. Hopefully he'll have adult classes soon. So I feel your pain looking for Judo and not finding it despite the saying that "Judo is cheap and widely available!"

BrokenTitanium
2/15/2009 6:37pm,
hey there fellow corpus christian person, have you tried Weapons at Hand? their website is weaponsathand.com they are located on ayers. welcome

DynamiteRich
2/16/2009 8:07am,
Just do Judo then, it will give you the most for your money.

As far as the karate there's the Isshin ryu place on the website I mentioned above and a Shorin Ryu place with no website:
Shorin Ryu Karate
Address: 2709 Swantner St, Corpus Christi, TX 78404

Send me a private message and we can chat.

Well, the Isshin Ryu place has way too many 13ish year olds in it for me to take it seriously. I went by the Shorin Ryu place, to find that it is now a tax office.

I actually managed to get a hold of Louis Lopez (Guy that used to run the Judo dojo out of the church). He no longer runs the school, but he sometimes "does the Judo thing" from time to time. Apparently, he still gets calls from adults wanting Judo every few weeks or so. What he wants to do, is find someone about my size, and teach us privately. Even if he does find another guy, he's charging $50 an hour with a minimum of two hours. That's pretty steep for me. =(

DynamiteRich
2/16/2009 8:11am,
hey there fellow corpus christian person, have you tried Weapons at Hand? their website is weaponsathand.com they are located on ayers. welcome

Thanks, man! For some reason I couldn't find their site, and I haven't had time to run over there lately. Seems like a cool place, but they just don't offer anything I'd really want to invest my time in. But who knows. If Judo is completely impossible I'll probably have to go for either MMA/kickboxing or BJJ.

AMF
2/16/2009 8:16am,
Wow, I didn't know that Lopez Judo went away.

The isshin ryu place I can agree with you.

I never personally went by the shorin ryu place, just grabbed it off the net.

Would you be willing/ able to drive 30 minutes for instruction?

DynamiteRich
2/16/2009 8:41am,
Perhaps. I would try Phan Ku Ryu, but classes are held Tuesday and Thursday nights, same times as my weight training class at the local community college. So that's out of the question until the semester's over.

mendez-mma
10/08/2010 2:29pm,
try mendez martial arts 831 airline judo based mma

Rock Ape
10/08/2010 3:39pm,
try mendez martial arts 831 airline judo based mmaYou meant..

http://www.mendezmartialarts.com/

If so, to communicate in a way the average Joe will understand.