PDA

View Full Version : Hi I like your CD

karatestudent
2/10/2009 3:44am,
I have to ask you Maurey Levitz. I bought your CD at www.okinawanweapons.com, and its no bullshido. Seems like the real deal as far as the martial arts technique is concerned.
But isn't your yawara the same thing as the Kubotan.? I mean, you claim to have the only Yawara Kata in the country, something you call "Yawara Bo No Kata".

Yawara goes back at least as far as the 14th Century Japan, which they called it Tokkosho, meaning "pestle". Can anybody supply a Kata, from either here or elsewhere to debunk this guys claim?

I don't recognize the Kata, but I am wondering if you got it from some place lese.

1point2
2/10/2009 2:57pm,
I'm not Mr. Levitz. That's my teacher--I'm the uke in the vid. Thanks for the kind words.

I am one of his instructors, and was part of the search for another karate-style yawara (yes, it's the same as a kubotan) kata, which we spent about a year on. I hadn't heard of tokkosho; I'll ask him. We did find a few jujutsu-style katas with the weapon, but he wanted a solo kata for the syllabus.

The Yawara Bo No Kata was his creation.

Not sure why you're in this forum. :)

karatestudent
2/14/2009 1:39am,
Thank you for your quick response.

To answer your question, I saw the name Maurey Levitz on the site, and I thought this has got to be the same Maurey Levitz that shows the form for Kubotan on the DVD, except he calls it Yawara.

1point2
2/14/2009 2:37am,
Does the tokkosho term refer to the varja? That's the only google hit I got. We discuss "Buddha's lightning bolt" in the beginning portion of the DVD (and a student gave me one as a gift) but don't specifically use the term varja or tokkosho as I remember.