PDA

View Full Version : Judo and Muay Thai Crosstraining a good idea?

Oculus
2/09/2009 11:31pm,
Hi,

I've been doing Muay Thai on and off for the past year in Singapore and Adelaide. I've found the gym in Singapore to be quite 'newb' friendly as opposed to the Adelaide MT gym. Adelaide gym to trains in 2 groups. Fighters and 'the rest' Instructor coverage is a bit sparse. There is a lot of padwork but thats the students pairing up and the instructor giving a combination for the group to work on (one student on pad and one hitting).

While I must say the combos are useful I find that they don't exactly have beginner entry classes (people who go there normally have been doing so upwards of 3 years at least with prior experience normally) so as newb I am finding it hard to keep up or learn more as the training is very informal and almost haphazard (Maybe kicks one day, maybe punches, maybe footwork, but beginners don't get much oversight).

The thing is I am going back soon to Adelaide continue my degree and I don't find the MT gym there as accessible (see above). I was wondering if anybody could advise whether I should just swap to a Judo class in Adelaide for the time being (its near the Uni) and then retake Muay Thai when I go back to SG or should I stay focused on one art seeing as I'm still a MT beginner.

Thanks in advance for any advice

TKDBot
2/09/2009 11:32pm,
So Oculus, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83).

cuatro76
2/09/2009 11:47pm,
You can't go wrong with Judo + Muay Thai. Although, since MT is going to be your "core" art, you should still train that until you have a solid grasp of it. Don't spread yourself thin for 2 arts at the same time. You'll just slow your progress down in both.

Oculus
2/09/2009 11:59pm,
Thanks for the advice cuatro. I'll focus on MT for the time being. Should I be thinking about trying to swap the schools though?

My main gripe is that as long as the trainers see you're doing reasonably looking like MT they don't correct you too much. And the lack of elbows. Cripes, the lack of it. I must have done it once over there in a on and off 1 year period. Should I be looking at switching to a more beginner class school or do most schools work on the:

[Skip rope warm up -> Stretch -> Shadow Boxing -> Pair Up, Pads & Gloves -> End class] principle. To condense it, its just that the instruction isn't constant or the corrections. Theres only about 1-2 instructors for about average 20-35 students. Other advice comes from the senior students but they're mostly there to work the pads and combos so even the advice is sketchy (I've been told to stand in three different stances over there so far. Feet shoulder width parrallel, one foot in front of the other normal boxing stance, same as previous but wider stance)

Sorry if this post seems to have turned half into a rant. I do want to continue my studies in MT but the closest class to me seems more for the experienced amateur than beginners. I am grateful for any advice.

Ka-Bar
2/10/2009 12:04am,
Oculus - you're obviously not happy at your current MT school. If you're not getting corrected, you're not learning anything but bad habits. Unless your form and technique is perfect already, right?

You're a beginner, you belong in a beginner class, even if it means going to a school that's not as convenient.

cuatro76
2/10/2009 12:23am,
What are your ultimate goals for training in Muay Thai/Judo? Do you want to fight someday? if so then you definitely need to switch to the more serious classes or find a gym where you will be trained for fighting (that would still be a couple of years).

Also it seems like you don't spar in the class level you are currently training at. Again if that's something you want, you might have to switch to the more serious class or stay after your current class with a partner to go a few rounds. Or switch gyms. Always shop around for the better deal.

Also consider San Shou/San Da if there is a nearby gym that better fits your needs. Since you gravitate towards striking, keep training striking, but be on the look out for a better place to train depending on how serious or competitive you want to get with this.

Keep in mind, I'm a grappler giving you advice on kickboxing schools, but I would do the same thing if I wasn't happy where I'm training Judo and BJJ at.

Sang
2/10/2009 12:46am,
What do you mean by 'on and off' for a year? This could be the reason you are receiving poor instruction.

Oculus
2/10/2009 4:17am,
Hi Sang,

That is a relevant question. What I meant was I would enter at the start of the semester. Go constantly for two months and pretty much as a pad holder 'newb' get the **** kicked out of me by guys who (as mentioned above) have been doing this straight for several years or in other schools beforehand. I'm not sure if this means my complaints should become something along the lines of 'Just keep going you'll improve eventually' (which the teachers do say).

It just feels odd to train on a not scaled basis. I'm basically meant to keep up with a regime meant to exhaust those that have more experience. So to answer Sang,yes I did go for at least two months in a row, about three periods of that (2months each) and after that intermmittently after I got the will power to go back again and get my ass handed to me. Part of the complaints also stem from the school I am with for a month (since I'm holiday in Singapore) and I realize every class they have something to help correct in me or a new strike to teach me or further refinement (even on my jab and cross. Which I thought I had nailed down ok =\)

I have no pretenses to the level of my condition but I thought training beforehand to just get into a MA class was a bit dumb and I assume the idea of MAs were to start as a beginner and work hard and get better slowly.

I'm not into this for fitness alone and yes I would like to spar and maybe one day a amatuer fight but the ultimate goal is to be a well rounded and competent fighter (MMA I suppose).

Looking at the advice the trend seems to be start looking at other schools. So I think I might have to hunt around for a bit as I do want to become competent in good striking.

Sorry for the length, just a bit of a rant on the school. Not to say I didn't learn anything but I have seen it could be much better. Thanks again

TheRuss
2/10/2009 11:01am,
Okay, there are two issues I'm seeing here...

-If you're not getting quality instruction, you should find another school.
On the other hand...
-If you're not eligible for quality instruction because of inadequate conditioning, you should take it upon yourself to improve your conditioning.

There are three types of MA training that I've seen:
-Training where conditioning isn't important (avoid)
-Training where conditioning is part of the syllabus
-Training where conditioning is your own responsibility

Your MT school may subscribe to the latter theory.

anca
2/27/2009 6:34am,
i might be a bit late replying, but i just read the thread and it's almost identical to the problem i'm facing.

in fact it sounds like i even trained at the same club in adelaide as you, but stopped for the same reasons. i'm looking around for some alternatives, there's a fair few MT clubs around adelaide you can check out, when i have a free moment i'm gonna be checking out southside MT (http://southsidemuaythai.com.au), and might even head up north a bit to try the adelaide uni judo club.

let us know how you get along. good luck!

retrograde
2/27/2009 7:01am,
Yeah, there are a lot of good MT clubs in Adelaide. Unless you're living in the middle of no where, I'd try a few others out.