PDA

View Full Version : The most effective martial art

Pages : [1] 2 3

MA studier
2/08/2009 10:35pm,
whats up people I was just wondering what is today the most effective martial arts for:a street fight\getting attacked, MMA, and for demonstration/movies i thought were better to ask then bullshido.

AikidoBot
2/08/2009 10:36pm,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, MA studier. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

Matt Phillips
2/08/2009 10:36pm,
I could probably do another one saturday march 7th 2:00 if you all are interested. Otherwise will have to wait until end of march or april.

Hey Rage, sure you're welcome to come, you could ride to mass ave and just ride mass ave all the way in or jump on the T. We could put your bike in the back storage area so you don't have to leave it outside if you want. I'll keep it free for now for bullshido peeps during the throwdown.

Let me know what time works for you all.

Ben and I will be there.

hoodedmonk
2/08/2009 10:54pm,
whats up people I was just wondering what is today the most effective martial arts for:a street fight\getting attacked, MMA, and for demonstration/movies i thought were better to ask then bullshido.Bjj....

MA studier
2/08/2009 11:06pm,
bjj is good for showing off to your friends or to be put in movies? I always thought some thing like kung fu would be better for that. Aslo I thought that bjj did not teach a whole lot of strikes is not that kind of important in a fight?

hoodedmonk
2/09/2009 12:32am,
There is no right answer to your question, so I'm sticking to my original answer .....Bjj.

MA studier
2/09/2009 12:49am,
I guess your right what looks interesting to one person could be diffrent to the other but I am now quiet diturbed at the kind of dislike this board has for martial arts like Aikido,capoeira,TKD, and certain types of kung fu. Whats wrong with those. The preivous are real martial arts delevoped to help protect people?

Ka-Bar
2/09/2009 12:52am,
You know that Super Bowl commercial where Alec Baldwin talks about how hulu will turn your brain to goo? Well OP, you're the new hulu.

MA studier
2/09/2009 12:54am,
what?

hoodedmonk
2/09/2009 12:59am,
what?You list your style as none. Have you ever done any martial art's? How do you know Aikido and the other styles work for self defense?

DKJr
2/09/2009 12:59am,
Hey welcome to bullshido. Here is a video to help you understand some things.

YouTube - MATT THORNTON ALIVENESS - martial arts most important thing Straight blast (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imjmLWj5WCU)

wingchunx2z
2/09/2009 3:21am,
whats up people I was just wondering what is today the most effective martial arts for:a street fight\getting attacked, MMA, and for demonstration/movies i thought were better to ask then bullshido.

For getting attacked in a no rules non competition situation I would say Wing chun jkd or krav maga are all good choices. IMO wing chun i the most effective but it all really depends on your definition of effective.. bjj will be very effective in doing what it's supposed to do.. taking the fight to the ground and dominating him there. however, should you find out a little too late he was hiding a knife or gun there is no longer the option to retreat that a standup art would offer. Secondly if you waste too much time on him using a combative sport appraoch multiple attackers, peopel jumping in to help him casue they think you're the bad guy and the harder it will be to prove self defence. Truthfully if you do a takedown and slam the guy on the pavement then proceed to jump on top of him adn pound his face into jelly it will have some problems selling as self defence if charges are pressed. Personally I would go for a art that uses instant incapacitation then suit up in protective gear and practice attacking liek that full contact.

anywho thats my two cents.

CrackFox
2/09/2009 4:52am,
For getting attacked in a no rules non competition situation I would say Wing chun jkd or krav maga are all good choices. IMO wing chun i the most effective but it all really depends on your definition of effective.. bjj will be very effective in doing what it's supposed to do.. taking the fight to the ground and dominating him there. however, should you find out a little too late he was hiding a knife or gun there is no longer the option to retreat that a standup art would offer. Secondly if you waste too much time on him using a combative sport appraoch multiple attackers, peopel jumping in to help him casue they think you're the bad guy and the harder it will be to prove self defence. Truthfully if you do a takedown and slam the guy on the pavement then proceed to jump on top of him adn pound his face into jelly it will have some problems selling as self defence if charges are pressed. Personally I would go for a art that uses instant incapacitation then suit up in protective gear and practice attacking liek that full contact.

anywho thats my two cents.

Dude, didn't you start a thread complaining about how we're always making of chunners? Your post is a prime example of why we make fun of chunners - a veritable menagerie of red herrings and dead horses.

To the OP, watch the video on aliveness, once you get that concept you should see why asking what the "best" martial art is doesn't really make sense. To a large extent your choice of martial art is not as important as finding a place that trains properly with aliveness.

When noobs come on here asking what martial arts they should do, I'm always really quick to recommend the ones I do - Judo and Muay Thai. Why? Blind loyalty aside, I think these ones ar good because they are consistantly trained with aliveness. With many other styles it's a bit of a lottery, different schools might teach the same techniques, but the way they teach them can vary greatly, with some schools being fantastic and others being pretty crap.

Kambei Shimada
2/09/2009 5:05am,
Dude listen to Crackfox and watch the Matt Thornton Video.

Training against fully resisting opponents is THE most important thing when training in a martial art.

I'm not going to tell you that one martial art is better than another but you will find: BJJ, Judo, Muay Thai, Boxing, MMA, Sambo & Sanshou schools are more likely to train with proper aliveness.

thaclient
2/09/2009 12:35pm,
The posts above have really started you in the right direction. Forget any notion of "the best [/ most effective] martial art."

I've seen TKD practitioners train with aliveness and spar hard, but that was based on how those individuals trained, not based upon how most TKD schools teach. They'd have to get together outside of school and spar on their own, and this isn't the type of art that you should be looking for. That's why the arts suggested above were suggested- because they are taught, hopefully and most of the time, with the concept of aliveness built-in to the teaching methodology.

patfromlogan
2/09/2009 1:06pm,
In this area one is to be nice to the n00bs and the OP has gotten some good advice.

Except for Wingchunx2z, who is not the original poster and a total shithead.