PDA

View Full Version : Krav Maga with a broken wrist?

Zombiefruit
2/08/2009 3:52pm,
Hey guys. First post here. I've recently become interested in learning a martial art. I have no time for competitions, and I'd like to learn something I can use to defend myself. Krav Maga seemed like a good match for me and I'm thinking of taking lessons at an "officially licensed" place here in Toronto.

The problem is that I have a broken wrist, specifically the scaphoid bone, that I broke punching something. I didn't realise that I had broken it, and the doctor I went to when it happened said that it wasn't broken. I recently found out (4 months later) that it was in fact broken, and all the pushups and sports I had done with it had created a non-union. The bone had broken in half and one part drifted away a little bit and died. So I have to get surgery but there's an 8 month waiting period for surgery.

I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I can do pushups on it, and punch things with very little pain now. So I was wondering if it was a bad idea to start taking lessons in Krav Maga. Even if I'm not punching things right away, just learning and exercising. Thanks.

Hesperus
2/08/2009 4:06pm,
Take up boxing, and learn how to punch things correctly.

Zombiefruit
2/08/2009 4:09pm,
Yeah, funny, but I wasn't really punching something like a wall, or a bag. It's a long story, with me punching a heavy, moving object.

billy sol hurok
2/08/2009 4:16pm,
Probably not viable until you're healed.

You'd also need to be holding pads and shields for other students to strike, which would likely torque your wrist in ways that punching and pushups don't. Not to mention the sprawls, the blocking etc.

But you could always ask an instructor.

Zombiefruit
2/08/2009 4:25pm,
I'll call the instuctor on Monday. I was also wondering what people thought of Krav Maga in general. Is it a good style to learn? Or is there better?

Siniq
2/08/2009 4:41pm,
Try somthing simpler, before going into the world of weapons and the ground is lava and ****... Try judo or wrestling or boxing - cheap and good startup. Do it after you've recovered. Try different schools /at least 3/.

Zombiefruit
2/08/2009 5:45pm,
Thanks for the reply. I have a friend in boxing, he says it's good. And I'm assuming you meant boxing when you wrote moxing, but I could be wrong. Is BJJ a good starter? I hear a lot of people talking about it. Thanks.

Siniq
2/08/2009 6:27pm,
Well, sambo is a good starter and bjj is and stuff, dont' get involved with Krav yet(IMHO).

100xobm
2/08/2009 11:41pm,
Judo mate, low impact on the joints.

Even better, no wristlocks allowed, so you're sweet as.
Just learn your ukemi well.

Or the bjj, Just tell the people you're rolling with not to wristlock you and you'll be fine. Again, learn your ukemi.

Hesperus
2/09/2009 2:18am,
Boxing and judo is probably the best investment if you have time for two ma's. The self defense applicability for those two arts are through the roof.

Squerlli
2/09/2009 2:44am,
Take it easy on your wrist. Don't strike, learn some wrestling and judo.

Siniq
2/09/2009 7:34am,
I started sambo witha broken left leg and they only did leglocks and stuff on my right one... Make sure your partner and your coach know your injuries.

Gezere
2/09/2009 8:10am,
I'll call the instuctor on Monday. I was also wondering what people thought of Krav Maga in general. Is it a good style to learn? Or is there better?
Krav maga unfortunately suffers from poor quality control.

Pple LOVE pointed out how its used but the IDF BUT fail to realize that they are not training like the IDF. There are some good to great schools out there but everyone thinks they are at that school which isn't always the case. ANYONE can be a Krav Maga instructor with a week of training and investing some cash. If that gives you any indication.

If you want to a starter MA then Judo, Cambo, BJJ would be a great start.

Beastly Sensei
2/09/2009 6:32pm,
^ Can you name any schools off the top of your head that are "good to great"? I ask out of curiosity.