PDA

View Full Version : Charles Gracie Reno?

nvmatmop
2/04/2009 4:41pm,
Anyone on this board go to the Reno school?

BJJbot
2/04/2009 4:42pm,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, nvmatmop. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

Uncle Skippy
2/04/2009 6:10pm,
I train at that school about once a week in addition to training at another local school. I believe that UpaLumpa also trains there and there may be others. The owner/instructor is Gary Grate, a black belt (with stripes) under Charles. The school's site is http://www.bjjreno.com

Is there any specific question you have? I'm in no way a spokesperson but have been around the school for a while now to answer some basics.

UpaLumpa
3/09/2009 1:27pm,
If you're just starting out I highly recommend hitting up the classes Cody teaches.
The rest of the time it is a fucking shark tank.
Here's a post about the school from awhile back.
Charles Gracie or Freestyle MA in Reno NV - No BS Martial Arts (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=52738)

And ****, I've tried to keep this account disconnected from the real world.

nvmatmop
3/09/2009 1:44pm,
Shark tank?

Does Cody do the Mon/Wed All levels classes? Those are the ones I will probably end up in when I finally get in there. Any idea if Gary sells gi's there or am I better off finding my own?

Uncle Skippy
3/09/2009 1:49pm,
And ****, I've tried to keep this account disconnected from the real world.

Crap. Sorry about mentioning you then.

UpaLumpa
3/09/2009 1:56pm,
Cody does the early Monday class. For guys starting out, Cody is going to be one of the best instructors you'll find (that's true regardless of level actually). Gary does both Wednesday classes, including the later beginner class. If you're newer, I'd really recommend one of those.

Gary can sell you a Charles gi. I think he also will still order starpaks for people. If you can catch blue belt Paul Abayta (not Paulie), he can get you a good deal on Kikskin gi's too. If you've any intention of competing much, might as well get a Charles. On the otherhand, we're going no-gi in a month so if you held off until we switch back you'll save some cash you won't need to spend for a few months.

The shark tank comment was in reference to the fact that rolling at the school isn't really an easy experience if you're newer. Most of us came up when there weren't many guy's training and the school still has a real sink or swim atmosphere. Keeps everyone tough and good but can be rough on new guys.

UpaLumpa
3/09/2009 1:58pm,
Crap. Sorry about mentioning you then.

No biggie.

UpaLumpa
3/09/2009 2:10pm,
Skippy,
Where else do you train?
TKD-freestyle?
doing MT privates with Casey Balkenbush?

Uncle Skippy
3/09/2009 2:36pm,
Skippy,
Where else do you train?
TKD-freestyle?
doing MT privates with Casey Balkenbush?

I'm at Freestyle, teaching and training. I'm at Gary's about once a week now (either Thurs. mornings or Sat. mornings) and rolling at Freestyle about 5-6 times a week as well. My stand-up is definitely focused on Muay Thai as well, which has been easier since we left the association 3 years ago.

As an aside, I still have no idea who you are in real life. Your real-world identity is safe...

for now. :-)

UpaLumpa
3/09/2009 3:01pm,
I'm just glad we're not still renting space from you guys like when I started.
That sucked.

nvmatmop
3/09/2009 5:40pm,
Cody does the early Monday class. For guys starting out, Cody is going to be one of the best instructors you'll find (that's true regardless of level actually). Gary does both Wednesday classes, including the later beginner class. If you're newer, I'd really recommend one of those.

Gary can sell you a Charles gi. I think he also will still order starpaks for people. If you can catch blue belt Paul Abayta (not Paulie), he can get you a good deal on Kikskin gi's too. If you've any intention of competing much, might as well get a Charles. On the otherhand, we're going no-gi in a month so if you held off until we switch back you'll save some cash you won't need to spend for a few months.

The shark tank comment was in reference to the fact that rolling at the school isn't really an easy experience if you're newer. Most of us came up when there weren't many guy's training and the school still has a real sink or swim atmosphere. Keeps everyone tough and good but can be rough on new guys.

So April will be a no gi month? If so that might be a good time for me to start. Thanks for the info.

UpaLumpa
3/09/2009 6:38pm,
April and then for awhile after that. Not sure when that will end.
Don't worry about that though, just come and train and take it easy to start and grab a spare jacket when we're doing gi specific techniques.

Uncle Skippy
3/09/2009 7:21pm,
I'm just glad we're not still renting space from you guys like when I started.
That sucked.

Yeah. Both of the schools were growing and running out of mat space. I remember looking in and seeing people rolling and pressed up against the bleachers and the heavy bags.

I just feel really fortunate that I have 2 really good places to train (within 10 minutes of home) in this little town.

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 PM ----------

I'll second UpaLumpa on just showing up.

The hardest part of starting a new shool is showing up the first time. Just drop in, grab a loaner jacket for the night if the techniques are gi-specific, and roll. People will go no-gi with you during open mat time if you want. People will work with you if you have questions or if you want to start a particular way (guard, cross-sides, mount, etc...).

But really, show up and jump in.

UpaLumpa
3/09/2009 7:45pm,
As a new guy, one of the most important things you can do is make sure that you tell everyone you roll with that you are new before you roll. Don't rely on the assumption that they'll have heard you say it to someone else or that they won't recognize you (I don't recognize half the blues and I train 3-4 days a week most of the time.)

Also, ASK QUESTIONS when you're rolling with people as they come up. A lot of guys are reticent to coach much unless asked.

Gary's is a great school and if you stick with it there is no where even remotely comparable in the area.

---------- Post added at 05:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:42 PM ----------

Skippy,

I hated training at the freestyle school so much. The kids running in and out of the bathrooms and then onto the mats. Getting kicked out by the cardio kickboxing instructor. Tres and Kelly were always nice but moving to the new location was great. Now we've way outgrown that.