PDA

View Full Version : The Emperor's New Clothes

C0d3M0nk3y
2/04/2009 12:34am,
I can admit my MA faux pas now that I have reached a general level of acceptance.

I felt much like the emperor in the timeless fairy tale...too ashamed to admit that I could not see myself clothed in the warm, safe embrace of a martial art that was finely "crafted" for me....

I dutifully soldiered on perhaps 6 months or so after the painful realization that for my personal goals, much of my training was/is illusory.

But I'm getting a bit ahead of myself....

I'm a mid-30's guy who has trained about 1 1/2 years in Kenpo, albeit what I consider a more bastardized version as it is neither full Parker or Tracy. Actually, that has been a good thing because 1/3 of the curriculum has been Hoch Hochheim CQC which seems to be quite practical and useful.

About the same time I began lurking Bullshido, I also befriended a fellow student who also takes BJJ. Let's just say that phrases like "Why the hell would I do Parting Wings when I could...." became all the more frequent.

To continue riding the belt treadmill and at the same time fullfill my desire to grapple and not crapple, I picked up Judo just before my krotty class.

That very first night - not being able to squirm, muscle, or "Escape from Darkness" myself out of kase gatame - I felt like I was reborn.

That very same week, a petite 130lb college girl armbarred the hell out of me, which brought on some freaky-ass grapple-crush...I mean who hasn't felt love for a chick who is attempting to break your fucking arm at the elbow all the while you are hearing The Police's "De Doo Doo Doo, De Da Da Da" in your head and almost forgot to tap....ahem...but I digress.

Several months later (albeit spotty beacuse of work, holidays, etc...), I have decided to get off the belt treadmill altogether and focus on grappling because I've seen, felt, and made it work on the mat with full resistance - no man-dancing allowed.

To be fair, I feel like the last 1 1/2 years have prepared me for this. Despite being...well...friggin' old....I am likely in the best shape of my life along with being happier and generally more self-confident all around. For all of that, plus meeting some wonderful and helpful people, I don't feel like it's been wasted time.

Still, I've seen the writing on the wall and feel it is time to evolve my MA training into what I believe is useful. For much of that, I have you insensitive pricks to thank.

So...Thank You...I guess...for snuffing out the spirit of the 9 year old ninjer/krotty zealot that lives in all of us.

Actually that sounds like you bastards destroyed a little bit of my soul....and ate some of my childhood....err...wait....

In all seriousness, thanks for being one of the catalysts that allowed me to turn the page to another chapter of my MA training. I truly believe that it will be benificial.

FWIW, I plan on transferring my contract to a sister school (hopefully next week) to begin training BJJ.

I love Judo, but it is also being used for a nearby college as a PE course. Not a thing wrong with that other than the higher than usual 'revolving door' factor is a bit distracting to me personally.

The price and drive time is the same - plus they also train some MMA there - not that I have the sack for it. It's just nice to know I have options.

So to conclude...I felt my nakedness and was ashamed. I'm not sure that there is anything profound in that statement or the realization in and of itself...but picturing me naked = :biggrin: and :icon_pale at the same time....

C0d3M0nk3y

TKDBot
2/04/2009 12:35am,
So C0d3M0nk3y, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83).

Lily
2/04/2009 5:36am,
One of my favourite fairytales. Welcome to BS :)

I cannot believe that the Judo is the same price as BJJ!!!1!!!

C0d3M0nk3y
2/04/2009 9:01am,
One of my favourite fairytales. Welcome to BS :)

I cannot believe that the Judo is the same price as BJJ!!!1!!!

Thanks Lily.

Actually, it's Kenpo and BJJ that are the same price at my school - which still doesn't seem appropriate does it?

But I understand and accept the fact that karate - both children and adults - keep the doors open to this and many other schools.

Since I was an already a student at the school, Judo was only $20 on top of my existing monthly bill.

Funny how cheap Judo can change one's perspective so quickly. After my first week in Judo, I found it hard to follow up with the karate class because it seemed so absurd.

Stupid me kept pressing on for months in that manner.

C0d3M0nk3y

Matt Phillips
2/04/2009 9:28am,
Nice story.

P.S. You're not old

BaronVonDingDong
2/04/2009 10:09am,
Hey there,

I'm even older than you, but have basically the same story. I started on some traditional arts that forbade sparring for the first three years, but I figured that I didn't have that long, and wanted to be sparring and getting some proper fight training much sooner... and not merely because I'm an impatient, consumerist, know-it-all, but because I saw that what I was training was not imparting realistic skills.

With that said, like you I have to thank the traditional school for getting me back on the road to health, shedding some pounds and introducing me to martial arts culture to the extent that I had the confidence to walk into a stinking, rap-blaring, blood-stained boxing gym and ask the coach if I could join. I am very grateful to them for that.

Welcome to Bullshido!