PDA

View Full Version : My Return to BJJ, meeting Cindy Hales and a school review to come

ruptureclothing
2/03/2009 12:49am,
I'm going to review Rodrigo's school after a couple of other classes (though I'm pretty damn certain the review will be excellent, as the facility is top notch and the instruction was first rate).

For the past 15 months, I haven't trained much. I got thrown on my neck with a cross-grip tai-otoshi during randori and had injured my C3 and C4 vertebrae to the point where I needed 6 months of therapy just to turn my neck without it hurting.

It's strange to be writing about this, but I was scared sh*tless to go back. I don't know if anyone here has ever been afraid to step on the mat after an injury, but it's really weird. Just thinking about it would make me shake. After moving to Redmond, there was a Judo club close to campus, and I sort of started to ease in. I drove by a couple of times, and went in the third time. Uchikomis for a while, then a bit of randori, then a tournament. I won 2 and lost 2 at adult seniors, and went home with a pulled achilles tendon, a bruised ego and a clear mind. The fear was finally gone.

Then I realized how much I missed jiu-jitsu. But there was nowhere close to go.

It just so happened that Gracie Barra Seattle moved to Redmond today. I'll take a few minutes to say that their new facility is SUPER nice, and Rodrigo Lopes is a hell of a nice guy and a great instructor. Cindy Hales was at the front desk and she was totally cool. She also looked like she was in fantastic shape and could kick my ass at will http://www.nhbgear.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif.

Rodrigo put us (well, at least me) through absolute hell. By the time I finished rolling, I didn't even know where I was. My heart was pounding out of my chest, and my stomach wanted desperately to revolt. I sat down for a good 30 minutes before I even got in my car to drive home.

Right now, my torso is bruised, my legs feel like they don't want to move, and my left arm hurts a bit from tapping late http://www.nhbgear.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif.All in all, this was one of the best days I've ever had.

For you Microsoft employees that may or may not be reading this thread, we finally have a great place to train that's close to campus. http://www.bjjseattle.com/. And if you bump into Cindy at the front desk, she'll ask you if you have kids, because she teaches the kid's class http://www.nhbgear.com/forum/Smileys/default/smiley.gif. Bring them. It's never too early.

-Nick

ruptureclothing
2/03/2009 2:19am,
Good for you! Enjoy yourself.

Thanks man. BJJ is a LOT of fun, and I'm glad to be back. I love Judo to death, but there's a special part of my soul that has been triangle-choked by BJJ and I refuse to tap :).

I'm going back Thursday. I'll be in a hot tub tomorrow as my back is basically shot at this point.

Cheers,

Nick

Vorpal
2/03/2009 9:10am,
Fall down nine times, get up ten. Good for you, keep going.

KO'd N DOA
2/03/2009 9:50am,
Going back training after a serious Car accident, with physio and everthing, was difficult. Even after doctors clearance, I was not sure I wanted to risk my neck in randori or competition.

Good for you. The mental is the hardest part.

WhiteShark
2/03/2009 3:09pm,
We've had three guys get sidelined by really bad injuries this year. All car accidents. Two out of three have made it back and can kick my ass again. The third guy spiral fractured his leg or something completely insane like that and is just now coming back.

How bad is your conditioning? My buddies were in pretty bad shape one of them gained like 60 pounds.

ruptureclothing
2/03/2009 3:57pm,
We've had three guys get sidelined by really bad injuries this year. All car accidents. Two out of three have made it back and can kick my ass again. The third guy spiral fractured his leg or something completely insane like that and is just now coming back.

How bad is your conditioning? My buddies were in pretty bad shape one of them gained like 60 pounds.

My gas isn't bad, but it's not good either. After therapy, I started running again. My neck was so bad that any jarring and shaking would cripple me with pain, and I had to sleep with a rolled-up towel under my neck to restore the natural curvature.

After I was cleared for light exercise, I started jogging, then running, so I kept most of the weight off. Having said that, I am currently 10 lbs over my fighting weight (I fight and walk around at 73 kilos).

The running helps, but there's nothing like rolling and randori for endurance. I'll be OK in a couple of weeks, I think.

GoldenJonas
2/04/2009 4:54pm,
For the past 15 months, I haven't trained much. I got thrown on my neck with a cross-grip tai-otoshi during randori and had injured my C3 and C4 vertebrae to the point where I needed 6 months of therapy just to turn my neck without it hurting.

Nick,

PM me if you need some encouragement/training tips for training after injury. I've had just about everything (including C3-C4 cervical heriations from merciless neck cranks) and my dumb ass keeps getting back on the mat.

Train with those you trust (which may be hard in a new school), and air on the side of caution. Especially with neck injuries.

I don't know how many times I have knocked myself out for a week due to drilling double legs and fucking up my neck changing levels and smashing my head into my opponent's stomach...sure, your changing levels and driving in properly, but if your neck is fucked it doesn't take much to tweak it.

Good luck.

Erik