PDA

View Full Version : How to pwn a Taekwondoka

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Hiro Protagonist
1/29/2009 3:58pm,
Hi all,

This week's lighter side:

A friend of mine, a TKD black belt, has misunderstood
my question for a friendly sparring session for a gong sao challenge (MMA style).

Though we have not set the modalities, I guess we will have our fight in the next month.
(Yeah, should this come to play out, I'll provide a video - without CGI effects, this time!)

Since he is usually very convinced of his skills, and at least one weight class above me,
I think I'd like to pawn him a bit, and consciously attack him with some techniques he doesn't train.

So, my question is, what techniques are not part of the TKD canon?
- I understand traditional TKD practicioners do not do grappling at all
and don't know arm or leg locks.

Also, since my TKD experience is fairly small, what will I have to do expect from him except a flurry of kicks and straight center punches?

Yours,

Rafe

KO'd N DOA
1/29/2009 4:05pm,
When I first sparred outside of TKD world, face punches, spinning back fists, really took their toll on my head till I got my hands up.

Not sure of the rule set. But jamming kicks is almost unheard of too.

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
1/29/2009 4:08pm,
If he's training WTF style, use some decent boxing, elbows, knees and lowkicks for stand-up, then takedown for some grappling.
Most important, close the distance so he loses a lot of his kicking ability.

omoplatypus
1/29/2009 4:09pm,
leg kick the **** out of him.
i have never known a single tae kwon do player who can take those.
also, sweeps/throws. if do right, no can defense (if your fighting a tkd player).

EDIT: zendokan is right, WTF TKD does nothing to prepare you for someone getting all up in your grill with knees or elbows.

KO'd N DOA
1/29/2009 4:11pm,
If he's training WTF style, use some decent boxing, elbows, knees and lowkicks for stand-up, then takedown for some grappling.
Most important, close the distance so he loses a lot of his kicking ability.

Traitor...

Okay ...giving some helpful hints fine....not the deed to the home...

Bitter much?

ojgsxr6
1/29/2009 4:12pm,
For the most part, unless he goes to the 1% of good TKD schools that 95% of the Taekwondoka go to, he would be open to leg kicks and face punches.

escrimador6
1/29/2009 4:13pm,
Is TKD the only thing he has trained in?

7thSamurai
1/29/2009 4:21pm,
leg kick the **** out of him.
i have never known a single tae kwon do player who can take those.
also, sweeps/throws. if do right, no can defense (if your fighting a tkd player).

Here's one.

Hesperus
1/29/2009 4:22pm,
If he gets the sideways stance on you, leg kick the **** out of him on his backside. Not kicking him in the ass, but on the back of his legs.

There really isn't a good way to defend that, and that's why us smart ones square up.

Matt Phillips
1/29/2009 4:22pm,
Do this :

YouTube - Muay Thai vs TKD (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VL5Cy33RWLo)

until you get bored. The do this:

YouTube - MMA vs. TKD Round One (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPUAt19_fXQ)

omoplatypus
1/29/2009 4:34pm,
Here's one.

let me qualify my statement better.

i have never known a single tae kwon do player, who has never studied another style, who can take/defend leg kicks.

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
1/29/2009 4:42pm,
Traitor...

Okay ...giving some helpful hints fine....not the deed to the home...

Bitter much?

Not with the art, just with the politics in the KMA scene.

NJM
1/29/2009 4:43pm,
Catch and trip those legs, you don't even have to follow to the ground. Do it enough times and he'll be afraid of kicking. Then he's all yours.

sochin101
1/29/2009 4:48pm,
First thing to remember is that not all TKDers are created equal.
Second thing is that underestimating any fighter gives them a distinct advantage.

A friend of mine, a TKD black belt, has misunderstood
my question for a friendly sparring session for a gong sao challenge (MMA style).
And what's wrong with correcting his mistake? If he's a friend, why the need for a gong sau?
You can still spar hard without it being all dramatic.

ZenOfAnger
1/29/2009 4:52pm,
Any techniques shown here will work on most TKDers:

YouTube - Jemaine Clement - Action Fighter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4fVzwEVuyk)

If your friend does actually train in other arts besides TKD, though, I would suggest not doing them.

Asriel
1/29/2009 4:57pm,
Ignore Sochin, punch him in the face > double leg > side control > mount > G n' P