PDA

View Full Version : Tough Times Training Program at NY Combat Sambo

Pages : [1] 2

sambosteve
1/28/2009 1:26pm,
New York Combat Sambo wants to help those grapplers out there
who are having tough times!

At NY Combat Sambo alone, several students have been laid off or lost jobs due to this tough economy.

NY Combat Sambo has initiated a "Tough Times Training" program. Here is how it works:

Monday through Friday at NY Combat Sambo, we have a 5-6PM open mat where you can come in and train, work out, work with others who show up, ask me for tips, etc.

NY Combat Sambo will now open that time slot up for free to anyone who can document that they were laid off or have lost a job in the last 6 months.

People training at NYCS in the "Tough Times Training" program will be able to use the 5-6pm open mat time free of charge! In addition, any student enrolled in our "Tough Times Training" Program can attend one of our afternoon classes per week for free. We will also provide you a sambo jacket at wholesale cost ($50). You can stay enrolled in the free program for 6 months from the date you sign up or until you secure another job (whichever comes first).

If you qualify or are interested in this program, please call NY Combat Sambo
at 718-728-8054, or come by the gym at 225 West 36th Street, 6th floor.

We all hope things will get better with this economy soon, but in the mean time, training should keep rolling on!!

Sincerely,

Stephen Koepfer

M.C.
1/28/2009 1:36pm,
:icon_thum I like your initiative Steve.

cuatro76
1/28/2009 1:49pm,
This puts "No Child Left Behind" to shame. Kudos to NYCS.

sambosteve
1/28/2009 2:11pm,
I have already heard from other clubs who want to offer similar programs. I encourage this!!! Let's keep people training! Who knows, we just may develop a network of programs like this!

thaclient
1/28/2009 5:46pm,
Nice job Steve! Let this be a lesson to those instructors out there that are only thinking about the almighty dollar and losing focus of why they got involved in MAs in the first place. I doubt many schools in South Florida or even nationwide would do something that like that.

Diesel_tke
1/28/2009 6:43pm,
Man that's awesome!! You get my vote for president. Or how about prime minister?

cuatro76
1/28/2009 7:00pm,
Secretary of Grappling.

JP
1/28/2009 7:10pm,
Secretary of Grappling.

Secretary of the Interior.

Thanks on behalf of those who need it Steve. You're a good man for doing this.

Yojimbo1717
1/28/2009 8:07pm,
I got the newsletter this morning and have to applaud Steve - that's some great thinking. Kudos to ASA.

chingythingy
1/28/2009 8:17pm,
Class act, Steve. Thanks from the community.

Deadmeat
1/28/2009 9:30pm,
That's awesome.

The MA community as a whole should take note.

TheRuss
1/28/2009 9:32pm,
Just when I thought sambosteve couldn't get any cooler, he kicks it up to a whole new level. Awesome.

El Neko
1/28/2009 9:47pm,
Man, **** like this is why Steve is the man.

Aaron Fields
1/28/2009 10:55pm,
That is a stand up thing to do Steve.

To build off this theme, my gym is a not-for-profit venture, as I have a dayjob, so to speak.

We have never turned folks away if they are having financial issues,we can always work something out. Another good guy on the mat is more important than a couple of bucks.

In addition we offer several scholarships for high school aged young adults. The scholarships include equipment, dues, and national membership.

I am happy to be included in a group who sees this type of thing as not only the right thing to do, but also as the norm.

Aaron Fields
Sea-Town Sombo
Seattle Jujutsu Club
www.seattle-jujutsu.org

Hesperus
1/28/2009 11:20pm,
Steve, you are a fantastic human being.

That being said, is the six months figure a continually updating thing, as in only guys who've been unemployed less than six months, or do you just mean since July 28th or there-a-bouts?

sambosteve
1/29/2009 12:22am,
Steve, you are a fantastic human being.

That being said, is the six months figure a continually updating thing, as in only guys who've been unemployed less than six months, or do you just mean since July 28th or there-a-bouts?

Unfortunately, I gotta have some sort of measure in the beginning. I would love to say "everyone who has no job, come on down". But I will be over-run I suspect. So, to qualify you must show me a letter of termination less than six months old. I also need to place some kind of cut-off for similar reasons. So once you start, you have 6 months to train free at the club. We can re-evaluate again at that point.

Unfortunately, I have many paying students and have to give them priority and can't have the gym filling up. Also, unfortunately, this is how I make my living, So, I have to have some limits.