PDA

View Full Version : iPhone apps for martial arts

Scott Larson
1/28/2009 11:51am,
I'm going to be updating this thread with iPhone applications for martial arts use that I will be trying out.

If anyone else can recommend any, please put them here.

M.C.
1/28/2009 11:54am,
:eusa_thin The only Iphone option I can think of is the googlemap tool, you can search for the school you want to go to and then find your way with it... other than that, I can't think of anything. But then again I only know 10 people who have an iphone and none of them is a MA practitioner.

Scott Larson
1/28/2009 12:05pm,
I have to try them out more, but the ones I know of are:

Round timer
Interval timer
Ultra timer
Judo (for scoring)
Punch Power Meter

Shadowdean
1/28/2009 12:29pm,
Punch Power Meter??

recourse
1/28/2009 12:35pm,
Punch Power Meter??

I'm guessing the app turns the iphone into an accelerometer.

partyboy
1/28/2009 12:40pm,
Power Punch Meter??

Scott Larson
1/28/2009 12:50pm,
Yeah, its free. Try it out.

You put in your height and weight, punch three times as fast as you can, and it gives you the force. I don't really know how accurate it is.

Siniq
1/28/2009 1:13pm,
This thread is stupid imho. If you have an iphone and you want to deffend your self with it you'd be stupid as ****. It's the phone and the money that they're after, so throwing that fucker wont' work eyther. They also did a taser program where it looks and makes noises like a taser, still takes 2 minutes to start the program and by then the touch screen would have given it away.

Scott Larson
1/28/2009 3:19pm,
You have to buy the case that turns it into a boomerang.

Uncle Skippy
1/28/2009 8:22pm,
I have to try them out more, but the ones I know of are:

Round timer
Interval timer
Ultra timer
Judo (for scoring)
Punch Power Meter
Just an FYI, I wrote RoundTimer, IntervalTimer, and UltraTimer. I also have EasyCounter which is a multi-item counter that I use to count sparring rounds and reps of push-ups to keep me on track.

So... I can recommend those (blatent, shameless self promotion) :-)

I use RoundTimer for sparring/rolling, the IntervalTimer for doing Tabata intervals, and the UltraTimer for circuit workouts (although UltraTimer can be used for exactly the same things as RoundTimer and IntervalTimer).

There are others out there as well that have about the same functionality as mine. As for other apps, I haven't found anything else that jumps out. The boxing apps are mostly just games and reflex 'training' (those are very big air-quotes).

JP
1/28/2009 9:00pm,
The phone already comes standard with the two best applications there can possibly be for self-defense.

It's got buttons 1 and 9

Deadmeat
1/28/2009 9:26pm,
I like the judo program. We used it for practice shiai a couple of times at my judo club before the novelty wore off.

Just an FYI, I wrote RoundTimer, IntervalTimer, and UltraTimer. I also have EasyCounter which is a multi-item counter that I use to count sparring rounds and reps of push-ups to keep me on track.

So... I can recommend those (blatent, shameless self promotion) :-)

I use RoundTimer for sparring/rolling, the IntervalTimer for doing Tabata intervals, and the UltraTimer for circuit workouts (although UltraTimer can be used for exactly the same things as RoundTimer and IntervalTimer).

Props for writing a useful program. I registered and downloaded the iPhone SDK on release but haven't bothered doing anything of consequence with it yet. Was thinking of implementing a training journal with a voice notes function, but haven't had the time to sit down and properly plan it out. Will d/l and use the RoundTimer.

Thanks again.

FickleFingerOfFate
1/28/2009 9:34pm,
Yeah, its free. Try it out.

You put in your height and weight, punch three times as fast as you can, and it gives you the force. I don't really know how accurate it is.

http://www.iphonesavior.com/images/2007/11/05/cracked_iphone_6.jpg

OK, one of you assholes owes me a new phone!

Uncle Skippy
1/29/2009 12:23am,
Props for writing a useful program. I registered and downloaded the iPhone SDK on release but haven't bothered doing anything of consequence with it yet. Was thinking of implementing a training journal with a voice notes function, but haven't had the time to sit down and properly plan it out. Will d/l and use the RoundTimer.

Thanks again.

No problem. I wrote those apps because they was something I needed. The fact that others find them useful is really nice. If anyone has any feature requests, PM me.

The SDK is actually really nice. I was surprised at how straight-forward it was to write for. But, I don't want to derail this thread so I'll just say it was worth it to me to set aside the time to learn.

Kuma
1/29/2009 10:03am,
RunKeeper and Distance are decent apps for your cardio, and you can run them in the background while your ipod function runs.

I also DLed KickCounter, turns out to be something completely other than what I thought.

meataxe
1/29/2009 11:02pm,
I've used the iphone browser to doublecheck time of a class... does that count?