PDA

View Full Version : The Scorching Soul

Dragon_Soul
1/20/2009 12:51pm,
Hey everyone, just wanted to make my intro. I live about 15 minutes from Kansas City Missouri in Grandview. I studied little of karate as a kid, now i study Jun Fan Gung Fu/Jeet Kune Do and Junsado at home. I'm a certified Waiest Journeyman at the Way Center. I enjoy philosophy. My favorite books are "Tao of Jeet Kune Do" by Bruce Lee, "Combat Strategy: Junsado, the Way of the Warrior" by Sang H. Kim, "The Art of Peace" by Morihei Uyeshiba, and "The Way of the Middle Path" by Robert Wiest.

I know, I know, self taught people are frowned upon around here, don't burn me too bad lol. I just joined to hear some ideas and discuss martial arts without all the BS that some of the traditional schools around Grandview try to feed me. Catch ya around the forums!

Peace

KungFuBot
1/20/2009 12:52pm,
Welcome to the Bullshido Forums Dragon_Soul... Make sure you review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83) and add it to your user control panel so you can get the http://www.bullshido.net/images/dojoreview1.gif icon in your user info bar in your posts.

Lonestar
1/20/2009 1:26pm,
Yeah...trust me. I was once a paperback martial artist as well; it is crap. Training at mcdojo is better than being a paperback. In fact Bruce Lee's book there is useless to you. Why? Because, as you should have noticed when you read it, it is written "to clean up a mess". It is not for someone starting from the ground up. It is for the experianced martial artist and that is who all the good books are for.

Go back to karate. Any karate school should give you some good sparring.

Dragon_Soul
1/20/2009 1:39pm,
Thanks for the advice Lonestar, I train in my backyard with a friend, so that helps me learn the effectiveness of my techniques, which (to me) really matter. Karate just doesn't appeal to me anymore, i only studied for about a year and then I tried Jun Fan and found the movements and parries more effective than the traditional blocks. I felt like I was wasting my time. 1 on 1 full contact sparring seems to be the fastest way to learn for me. I just don't feel like getting a black belt before I can fight for real.

mike321
1/20/2009 2:09pm,
Put down the books son, they damage your fight vision! With two people alone in a backyard and no experienced instructor, your training is likely to turn into random grab-ass. Also, the black belt vs being a fighter is a whole new can of worms. A black belt in karate can mean a competent beginner, in bjj you can not realistically call a black belt a beginner in any sense. So the belt only means what it means in the style.

M1K3
1/20/2009 2:30pm,
Dragon_soul, how old are you?

This isn't a put down.

If you are in high school join the wrestling team. You will get hundreds of hours of free training in a very effective martial art that has been proven in MMA.

If you are in college look for a Judo or wrestling club. Again cheap training in very good arts.

Excluding the above look for a school in your area. Muay Thai, boxing, judo, wrestling and Brazilian Jiu-jitsu are all highly recommended. These will give you good skills with lots of sparring/randori/rolling. Trust me, you'll be doing full contact very quickly.

Leaning to fight from a book is like learning to be a fighter pilot from a book. You might pick up some concepts but you are going to be able to execute them worth ****.

Besides, you'll meet lots of interesting people, make friends with them and depending on your art, choke them unconscious. You can't beat that for fun.

jnp
1/20/2009 2:41pm,
The skill of your training partners plays a very important role in your development as a martial artist. Having only one partner who has anything less than an instructor's skill level will flatten out your learning curve rather severely. Sparring against people who are significantly better than you is crucial to improving at anything other than a snail's pace.

Not to mention the necessity of sparring against different body and individual style types.

Dragon_Soul
1/20/2009 3:03pm,
I'm 23 and i agree with you guys completely, my friend is a 1st dan in karate and some other wierd style called "Wind Dragon Kung Fu". We work on correct form and application of techniques, don't get me wrong guys, I don't wanna step on any toes or put down traditional martial arts but i'm not down with all the katas and excess movements. I'd rather stick to simple, and basic techniques like the straight lead, the eye jab, groin kick, and so forth.

I've learned a little from some instructor friends of mine ranging from Taekwondo, Karate, Boxing, Wrestling, Kung Fu, Aikido, the last instructor i trained with was Thomas 'Jotoshi' Maienza from the Jizaikan Dojo of Aiki-Ninjutsu. He showed me a good amount of throws and sold me my first pair of nunchuks! Yeah I don't just read books and try to master the moves without seeing real-time and real-life results, ya know?

M1K3
1/20/2009 3:17pm,
don't get me wrong guys, I don't wanna step on any toes or put down traditional martial arts but i'm not down with all the katas and excess movements.

You do realize that most of the styles I was talking about don't have katas, and judo katas are different than karate katas and as I understand it just a small part of your training.

These are styles that are very effective and have proved it in hard competition. Any excess movements were lost a long time ago.

Your not going to get a whole lot of warm and fuzzies in this forum being "home schooled". Since this is newbietown people (including me) are being civil but it pretty much boils down to find and school and train for real.

Dragon_Soul
1/20/2009 6:01pm,
You do realize that most of the styles I was talking about don't have katas, and judo katas are different than karate katas and as I understand it just a small part of your training.

These are styles that are very effective and have proved it in hard competition. Any excess movements were lost a long time ago.

Your not going to get a whole lot of warm and fuzzies in this forum being "home schooled". Since this is newbietown people (including me) are being civil but it pretty much boils down to find and school and train for real.

Sorry I guess that's my misunderstanding, I didn't come to this forum for warm and fuzzies from you guys, but hey it's all about whether my techniques are effective or not? Can someone defend themselves or not you know? Fighting is fighting, we only have two arms and two legs, you can only attack and defend a certain way. That's why I believe there is only martial arts not "styles". Like i said before I've actually trained with several different teachers and learned fundamentals from instructor level practitioners. Technically you could just call my "style" Practical Self Defense. Nothing special. I train for self-defense, self-discovery, and self-development. I'm not aiming to impress anyone with my martial arts resume.

Lagg
1/20/2009 6:01pm,
I can't imagine boxing or muay thai having any excess movements. I mean punch to the face, shin to the thigh, step here to avoid same thing happening to you, is pretty straightforward.

Also, as M1K3 stated, katas in judo aren't just one guy punching the air, stomping around in a horse stance, gathering chi/ki/cheese balls so he/she can then start fighting off hoards of imaginary attackers that were foolish enough to assault a X-belted badass.

Regardless, you won't have to even think about kata for quite a while if you do judo. ( Look up "Nage No Kata" on youtube to be assaulted by dozens of videos. )

In judo, everything I've learned so far, I've used on the mat verses another guy who is trying to do the exact same thing to me.
(It should be noted that this guy is always in better shape, has more skill, and a bunch more experience. Am I a bad enough dude to O-Goshi the president? )

Also, although I don't have a high post count, I've seen enough ninja hate to tell you that you might want to not mention ninjutsu (unless you are flaming it) outside of newbietown. It won't be pretty. Eye gouging and groin shots don't get much respect either.

You might think "oh well it's a blended style" like you just mentioned. Unless somehow, Kano, Mifune, Oyama and Lee all arose form the grave, then teamed up with a magical young, spry Helio Gracie, Randy Couture, Anderson Silva, and Fedor (I think I have my bases covered there), and then decided to make up a new, blended style and call it KMOLGCSE-ryu-ninjutsu, and the training made up entirely of hard, open style practice with supervision from the masters, any ninja stuff will NOT be well tolerated around here.

Thanks for joining!

Good luck with your training!

Dragon_Soul
1/20/2009 6:12pm,
I can't imagine boxing or muay thai having any excess movements. I mean punch to the face, shin to the thigh, step here to avoid same thing happening to you, is pretty straightforward.

Also, as M1K3 stated, katas in judo aren't just one guy punching the air, stomping around in a horse stance, gathering chi/ki/cheese balls so he/she can then start fighting off hoards of imaginary attackers that were foolish enough to assault a X-belted badass.

Regardless, you won't have to even think about kata for quite a while if you do judo. ( Look up "Nage No Kata" on youtube to be assaulted by dozens of videos. )

In judo, everything I've learned so far, I've used on the mat verses another guy who is trying to do the exact same thing to me.
(It should be noted that this guy is always in better shape, has more skill, and a bunch more experience. Am I a bad enough dude to O-Goshi the president? )

Also, although I don't have a high post count, I've seen enough ninja hate to tell you that you might want to not mention ninjutsu (unless you are flaming it) outside of newbietown. It won't be pretty. Eye gouging and groin shots don't get much respect either.

You might think "oh well it's a blended style" like you just mentioned. Unless somehow, Kano, Mifune, Oyama and Lee all arose form the grave, then teamed up with a magical young, spry Helio Gracie, Randy Couture, Anderson Silva, and Fedor (I think I have my bases covered there), and then decided to make up a new, blended style and call it KMOLGCSE-ryu-ninjutsu, and the training made up entirely of hard, open style practice with supervision from the masters, any ninja stuff will be well tolerated around here.

Thanks for joining!

Good luck with your training!

That's fine man, as long as I can defend myself when I need it most, hey do all the flaming you want. I'm not claiming to be a ninja, I just learned some grappling from a "so-called" ninja. Eye gouging and groin shots don't need to be respected, as long as it gets the job done, that's what matters in my book.

Lagg
1/20/2009 6:30pm,
I was just letting you know the dire circumstances of ninjering around these parts. :laughing7

Dragon_Soul
1/20/2009 6:38pm,
yo i completely understand. I can't stand wannabe ninjers. Shuriken make me sick! lol.