PDA

View Full Version : Choosing Where To Train

starboy800
1/10/2009 4:18pm,
I have been doing judo at a dojo that seems to be having trouble garnering new members for about a year and a half. The instructors there are no longer on the competitive circuit, and do not train anywhere else, they only come in to teach judo once or twice per week.

Since there are not many other people of my ability level or weight (I'm 15 and 135 lbs.), only about 5 people average per class, I've been thinking about training at a different location in other martial arts.

A new MMA, muay thai focused place opened up recently nearby, and I went there for a trial lesson. The no-gi jiu-jitsu class seemed to be well-populated, which is a big plus to me.

It is a local branch of a pretty well known Boston-area Muay Thai gym, Sityodtong.

What would people here recommend I do, start up muay thai with a little no-gi jiu-jitsu mixed in, or stick with the judo. I just worry that the training I'm getting may be a little stale from lack of young instructors as well as few training partners.

TKDBot
1/10/2009 4:19pm,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, starboy800. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.