PDA

View Full Version : Going to interview Matthew Mullins from the XMA special.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Miguksaram
12/29/2003 9:33pm,
I am looking for some serious hard hitting questions to hit him with. Any serious suggestions would be appreciated.

shironinja
12/29/2003 10:01pm,
Oh my lord.

Miguksaram
12/29/2003 10:05pm,
Hey you all had opinoins on this matter. Here is a chance to ask the guy who was featured in the show some serious martial art questions. Then you could all form a more educated opinoin about him...Oh ****....can't have that can we...

MaverickZ
12/29/2003 10:06pm,
umm, be nice

Matt Stone
12/29/2003 10:35pm,
1) Why is he screaming all the time, often without an accompanying technique? Screaming and kiai are not the same thing...

2) Why was he wearing jewelry during competition?

3) What was the purpose of taking off his uniform top in such a dramatic manner prior to doing his form?

4) Why does he do forms one way, and then hop around the ring like someone who has dropped an anvil on his foot?

5) What portion of his training was "extreme?" I watched the show, and didn't see a hint of "extremeness" anywhere...

6) What "masters" would approve of his showmanship additions to his traditional training? Just curious, since I had images of dead masters rolling in their graves, hoping to somehow disavow any association with him whatsoever...

7) Why were they trying to show how powerful he was by using a balsa breakaway pillar for him to hit and break (unsuccessfully, I might add!) instead of allowing him to strike a real beam and break it a la the Matrix? If he is so powerful and his training so extreme, the breakaway pillar would seem unnecessary...

8) Why does he punch improperly? When the bit was done to show how, at his advanced level of training and experience (he is a teacher, after all, right?), he could throw the above mentioned Matrix punch, he hurt himself due to poor exectuion... His punch was coming from "outside" the body, rather than allowing it to come from his core area; his shoulder was too tense and pulled too high, causing his apparent reverse punch intention to look like a hook with no body twist (which is why he hurt himself).

How's that for starters?

Matt Stone
12/29/2003 10:43pm,
Seriously, Iron Shirt, Iron Bell, Golden Bell, are all very heavily qigong based practices.

Iron Shirt/Vest does entail a fair degree of self-flagellation - bamboo, thin iron rods, etc., are all used to smack around the practitioner to enhance the qi development in contact areas and to accustom the practitioner to impact. Not recommended for folks middle aged and older.

Golden Bell is almost solely qigong, with some occasional pounding to test development.

Neither come about from one fancy dancer jumping about and tossing wimpy kicks at the other fancy dancer...

liuzg150181
12/29/2003 11:09pm,
Originally posted by Yiliquan1
Seriously, Iron Shirt, Iron Bell, Golden Bell, are all very heavily qigong based practices.

Iron Shirt/Vest does entail a fair degree of self-flagellation - bamboo, thin iron rods, etc., are all used to smack around the practitioner to enhance the qi development in contact areas and to accustom the practitioner to impact. Not recommended for folks middle aged and older.

Golden Bell is almost solely qigong, with some occasional pounding to test development.

Neither come about from one fancy dancer jumping about and tossing wimpy kicks at the other fancy dancer...
You mean like this?
http://www.xingyitchuen.com.br/XY_CS_SW5.wmv

Owen
12/29/2003 11:12pm,
How many times per week do you spar in a free moving environment with an actively resisting opponent?

What other arts have you come in contact with and what was your experience with them?

Matt Stone
12/29/2003 11:46pm,
Originally posted by liuzg150181
You mean like this?
http://www.xingyitchuen.com.br/XY_CS_SW5.wmv

That guy looks pretty impressive, but wasn't using a lot of hip movement in his kicks to the tree... Whatever. Some folks emphasize it more than others, and I have no idea what he was trying to specifically demonstrate (beyond the fact that he can kick trees?).

Still, he looked pretty solid.

The body blows he was doing against the tree can be done against a wall, another person, whatever. That kind of training, from what I understand of it, isn't necessarily Iron Shirt, but just body toughening and familiarization with the feel of impact.

Boy's got some serious shin conditioning going on, though, to be able to smack that iron rod on his shin and bend it like that.

Punisher
12/29/2003 11:52pm,
Yiliquan1,

miguksaram asked for potentail questions for Matthew Mullins the XMA guy. You asked some so did Owen.

Here are my questions for Mullins.

There are some people that say martial arts are simply about fighting, nothing more. Others say martial arts at their highest form are about personal expression and enlightenment and the fighting elements are secondary. Where do fall in this argurment and what is your primary goal in practicing the martial arts?

Would you agree that competitions like the one shown in XMA are more about performance and self-expression than a display of fighting skill?

Does being able to perform in competitions like the one shown in XMA mean that one is able to fight?

What is your view of combat sports, specificlly MMA competitions like UFC and Pride? Are they a good or bad thing for martial arts?

JKDChick
12/30/2003 12:02am,
More Questions:

How do you address the concept of "self-defense"?

Do you feel that martial arts as combat became outdated with the invention of the gun?

What's your take on Western martial arts, like Savate, Fencing and Boxing?

liuzg150181
12/30/2003 12:03am,
That guy looks pretty impressive, but wasn't using a lot of hip movement in his kicks to the tree... Whatever. Some folks emphasize it more than others, and I have no idea what he was trying to specifically demonstrate (beyond the fact that he can kick trees?).

Still, he looked pretty solid.

The body blows he was doing against the tree can be done against a wall, another person, whatever. That kind of training, from what I understand of it, isn't necessarily Iron Shirt, but just body toughening and familiarization with the feel of impact.

Boy's got some serious shin conditioning going on, though, to be able to smack that iron rod on his shin and bend it like that.
Actually this came from the Brazilian association of xingyi quan and that guy's name is Marcello Teixeira~~~
What he is trying to do,IMHO,is that he is trying to dispel the myth that IMA are always trained 'softly',and judging from his built he should have done weight training~~~
And lastly if i am not wrong he utilizes the thrusting effect of the body for the kick itself~~~

liuzg150181
12/30/2003 12:12am,
Originally posted by Punisher
Yiliquan1,

miguksaram asked for potentail questions for Matthew Mullins the XMA guy. You asked some so did Owen.

Here are my questions for Mullins.

There are some people that say martial arts are simply about fighting, nothing more. Others say martial arts at their highest form are about personal expression and enlightenment and the fighting elements are secondary. Where do fall in this argurment and what is your primary goal in practicing the martial arts?

Would you agree that competitions like the one shown in XMA are more about performance and self-expression than a display of fighting skill?

Does being able to perform in competitions like the one shown in XMA mean that one is able to fight?

What is your view of combat sports, specificlly MMA competitions like UFC and Pride? Are they a good or bad thing for martial arts?
Great question,here are my 2 cents:
Mr. Matthew Mullins,it seems in your website you claimed to have taught self-defense,how is that so when your main focus is on demo.?

What is your viewpoint on MA that are combat-oriented but not spectacular?

Matt Stone
12/30/2003 12:16am,
Actually this came from the Brazilian association of xingyi quan and that guy's name is Marcello Teixeira~~~
What he is trying to do,IMHO,is that he is trying to dispel the myth that IMA are always trained 'softly',and judging from his built he should have done weight training~~~
And lastly if i am not wrong he utilizes the thrusting effect of the body for the kick itself~~~

That is one of the problems with that false dualistic label - hard and soft, internal and external. The terms are there, and they get used, and some folks understand what the differences really are, but the thing of it is there are more things in common between real, "living," martial arts (be they internal or external) than there are things that are different.

Soft arts don't imply soft training at all. Except in Tie Chee with David Carradine.

liuzg150181
12/30/2003 12:21am,
That is one of the problems with that false dualistic label - hard and soft, internal and external. The terms are there, and they get used, and some folks understand what the differences really are, but the thing of it is there are more things in common between real, "living," martial arts (be they internal or external) than there are things that are different.

Soft arts don't imply soft training at all. Except in Tie Chee with David Carradine.
Good point to note,and who is this David Carradine and what is that thing known as tie chee?

Matt Stone
12/30/2003 12:50am,
Good point to note,and who is this David Carradine and what is that thing known as tie chee?

David Carradine is/was the actor from the US television series "Kung Fu." He has since gone on to author a kung fu workout video and a tai chi workout video.

On the forums I frequent, Taijiquan and/or Tai Chi Chuan are differentiated from their non-martial, health and fitness oriented counterparts by using the name "Tie Chee" to describe either the exercise form or bullshido versions of martial Taijiquan.