PDA

View Full Version : I'm no longer LARPing: Thanks Bullshido

Juturna
1/08/2009 9:11pm,
By chance I found this website a couple months ago and started lurking and finally joined to see if what I had found as my first martial art was bullshit as I expected. I had begun training at the New York branch of the Chinese Shaolin Center, and I had no idea what aliveness was or why hard sparring was important until I came on here and started reading. I'm not sure if I should write an official review of the school based on my limited experience there, but I will give a brief breakdown of what classes were like for the lower belts:

First of, everyone reading this is I'm sure familiar to some degree with the controversy that surrounds Shaolin-Do and the CSCs, with regards to lineage, methodology, etc. Suffice it to say that I was immediately put off by all of the bullshit stories in the training manual. Stories of Masters who could sense how many people were breathing in a room or who could burn babies to death with their hands, etc. The manual reeks of bullshido: 900 forms mastered by Sin The, etc.

As to the classes: At the "Kung Fu" classes when we weren't punching the air, warming up, or practicing "Lohan forms", we would do about 10 minutes of "light sparring", which means really about 5% contact; contact that was barely perceptible. There was zero critique of what you were doing correctly or incorrectly in sparring, and since there were no physical consequences (getting hit), people practiced what appeared to me to be some pretty bullshido techniques.

The instructor was a nice enough guy, but honestly with classes that were sized up with about 20-30 people and often the instructor being the only blackbelt there, it left much to be desired. Alive training was non-existant, LARPing of the highest order prevailed in "chin na" training and other self-defence settings. I recently got an e-mail (still on the list) about the up-coming "special class" which was teaching self-defense and knife defense. I can only imagine that this and the other classes, which cost extra, would consist of LARPing of the highest order.

Sorry for the lengthy review, I'm writing this so people in a similar situation as myself will see this place for what it is. If you want to sweat a little, and learn some stuff that could probably get you killed in the d34dly str33tz, then fine; but in my mind, it's not Kung Fu, and it's not martial. I'm glad to have found a great Kyokushin Dojo, where the sparring is hard and the training makes you sweat, puke, and bleed. All the best and sorry for this being so long.

OmegaBot
1/08/2009 9:12pm,
Welcome aboard, Juturna! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

han090
1/08/2009 11:44pm,
Welcome to Bullshido.

There's a dojo review section too. Why not review Both your dojo's (or even just one) there?

Rask
1/09/2009 7:03am,
Congratulations on your conversion. I had a similar experience. Good stuff bro.

henshinx
1/09/2009 7:13am,
welcome to bullshido its good to see your view of martial arts is already improving. Good luck with your kyokushin training Osu!