PDA

View Full Version : JUDO vs SUMO

LOVED2BLOVED
12/29/2003 10:59am,
i think judo is cool, ive done it before. but im hearing that sumo wrestliing is simular to judo.
i think that a judo guy is more atheletic and a sumo guy can sit on your head
which style is better?

liuzg150181
12/29/2003 11:21am,
Not that i had done sumo b4 but it is a misnomer to say that sumo wrestlers are not as atheletic.When a group ofsumo wrestlers came to Singapore one of them had to have appendix operation,the surgeon commented that he was surprised that the wrestler had very little body fat and the operation went on smoothly......Also sumo wrestlers could do an excellent split~~~

LOVED2BLOVED
12/29/2003 11:59am,
yeah but judo peope are look fat usually

Beatdown Richie
12/29/2003 12:35pm,
> yeah but judo peope are look fat usually
Grammar to the rescue, please!

I haven't done sumo at all, but from watching it a bit it seems that
a) the rules and the fight-ending criteria are significantly more restrictive and unrealistic than judo rules.
b) it obviously favors, well, heavy-built characters. There are amateur sumo events with weight classes and stuff, and I'm sure it's lots of fun, but if you don't have a sumo body to begin with, and aren't willing to gain fifty pounds just to be more effective, I'd go with judo.

Gezere
12/29/2003 1:29pm,
Sumo if not for the weak.

There is A LOT of skill that goes into SUMO. Sure it looks like two guys in diapers pushing each other around but it not that simple.

Sumo CAN help in grappling skills but if you are a lil pissant weakling go with judo.:D

Jenfucius
12/29/2003 5:42pm,
Originally posted by LOVED2BLOVED
i think judo is cool, ive done it before. but im hearing that sumo wrestliing is simular to judo.
i think that a judo guy is more atheletic and a sumo guy can sit on your head
which style is better?

i heard sumo wrestlers drink kegs of beer at a time and crush apples with their bare hands.

LOVED2BLOVED
12/29/2003 8:04pm,
has asia done sumo before?

MiloNYC
12/29/2003 8:14pm,
I use a number of Sumo takedowns but most of them exist in other arts in one form or another. One of the most useful things about the art is the number of pushing and driving techniques. In MMA getting them against the ropes (or fence) can be critical to a win but few arts specialize in this.

elipson
12/30/2003 12:50am,
Asia will try anything once, and the good things twice.

Gezere
12/30/2003 4:12am,
L2BL,

I grew up mainly Japan, 9 yrs. All kids do or play sumo at some point. And common feild trips involved going to see sumo tori train. As I got older alot of guy in the judo club were sumo tori that didn't quite cut it.

LOVED2BLOVED
12/30/2003 7:20am,
ahh ic