PDA

View Full Version : Introduction - and MA ideas for someone taking it up for the first time

erehwesle
1/06/2009 10:13pm,
Hey guys,

After an exhaustive google search of these internets, I guess I came to rest here, and I'm going to be doing a lot of reading before I start actively posting.

I thought, though, I'd introduce myself and ask if you could point me to threads and sites that meet my needs, 'cause while I'm a black belt in internet searches (not yet a registered martial art), I honestly haven't done any martial arts at all since my karate dojo closed in third grade, where I think I had a yellow belt. This world is strange and foreign to me with a lot of specialized terminology and tons of huge claims.

To give you some background, I'm 34 and an outdoorsman, I believe in self-sufficiency, self-reliance, and that spending time in the wilds is good for the soul. Working retail at the moment, and while I get some excercise walking about during the day, I'm feeling like something is missing.

I'm attracted to Martial Arts for the discipline, for the exercise, and as I just moved into a new area, for the camraderie. I feel like people that work at Martial Arts are also the kind of people I could go on a hike with.

I also just moved into a kind of rough neighborhood, and would like a little self-confidence walking around. To be honest, I have a CCW, but carrying a gun has its problems. And I really don't want to actually shoot someone. This severely limits the usefulness of a CCW. Most of the time I don't carry. I'd really rather get beat up and robbed than kill someone. But ideally? Better not getting beat up and robbed.

So those are my reasons. I'm very interested in Krav Maga. It seems like it is physical, practical, and has a short learning curve. But I'd appreciate any and all advice. I'm sure people here have their own favorite styles, but any insight into what for me is a strange world would be appreciated.

And also how to determine what to look for in a good dojo. I'm sure there is a FAQ that I haven't found yet about here somewhere, let me know.

Oh and I lied a bit, I have some martial arts experience in that I fenced foil for about five years, both classical and olympic styles, and, not to toot my horn, wasn't that bad. Shame that the police around here probably would take a dim view of me carrying a shortsword, and the bad guys aren't likely to challenge me to a formal duel.

Best wishes for the new year.

Yours,

Erehwesle

GhostOfKimura
1/06/2009 10:15pm,
Welcome to the Bullshido Forums erehwesle... Make sure you review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83) and add it to your user control panel so you can get the http://www.bullshido.net/images/dojoreview1.gif icon in your user info bar in your posts.

erehwesle
1/06/2009 10:20pm,
As I said, still deciding on / trying to find a dojo but heck, I'll post a review as soon as it happens!

recourse
1/06/2009 10:31pm,
Welcome to BS.

I'd say find a MMA gym in your area most likely they would teach Muay Thai and BJJ. I think most people around here will answer the same way. I've never done Krav but I've heard it can be pretty fun. What type of fighting would you like ground or standup?

citizensmoke
1/07/2009 1:02am,
I'm in roughly the same water as you; I'll just track your posting and keep quiet.

I wonder... Does this post kill those hideous nag scripts?

marcusdbrutus
1/07/2009 2:40am,
Welcome to both of you. If you can find an MMA gym that would be to your best interests (if you want to learn how to fight). Some good alternatives include muay thai, boxing, san shou( or san da, whatever) kickboxing, BJJ, judo, wrestling and kyokushin. Of course, those are some of the safe choices. It's very possible that there are schools of different arts that focus on developing fighters, but they're a little harder to come by.

Drake LaMancha
1/07/2009 4:00am,
My sugestion is definitely a school with real sparring and bag and pad work.

Asriel
1/07/2009 6:42am,
Do you know of any Schools near you?

Rask
1/07/2009 10:05am,
Did a google search for you and found this.

http://www.renzograciepa.com/directory.html

A Renzo Gracie MMA school in Norristown, PA. Fucking go there. Seriously. Train. There.

Problem solved, /thread.

Seriously, this place offers BJJ, Muay Thai, Submissioner Grappling, boxing, and MMA classes. And it's Gracie-affiliated. And it's in your city. Honestly, this is your best bet from all that I could find in Norristown PA.

Asriel
1/07/2009 10:31am,
Sounds pretty good

Rask
1/07/2009 10:32am,
I'm very interested in Krav Maga. It seems like it is physical, practical, and has a short learning curve. But I'd appreciate any and all advice. I'm sure people here have their own favorite styles, but any insight into what for me is a strange world would be appreciated.

For a beginning martial artist I would not recommend Krav Maga. It does not have a short learning curve, although Krav Maga organizations and instructors will tell you it does. Whilst the techniques of Krav Maga can all be demonstrated and drilled over one of those three-day courses that KM organizations are so fond of charged $4000 for (after which you get a t-shirt and instructor's certificate), this will not actually teach you how to fight, at all.

In order to learn how to fight, you need to develop muscle memory. Krav Maga classes are unfortunately rare, and the most common method of KM training is a course or seminar lasting several days. The techniques are demonstrated and drilled briefly before moving on to the next part of the course. You can have brilliant understanding of theory, techniques, combat principles, etc, but unless you have hours and hours of practice in putting these theories/techniques/principles into effect in actual combat, you will learn nothing. Your muscles need to have repeated the motions against a resisting opponent that is, a sparring partner, or a partner in a non-compliant drill in order for them to remember the techniques inherently. If someone grabs you on the street you will experience an adrenaline dump that is, your body goes into fight or flight mode. Your heart will start beating at an extremely fast rate to pump the required blood to your body to enable you to run like hell to get out of there. In such a situation you will not have time to think, "Hmm, what was it that I learnt in that Krav Maga program a few weeks ago? Oh yeah, this hand goes here, this leg goes here...." Instead, you must react in an instinctive manner, with as little thinking as possible. Reactions need to be quick and from physical memory. The techniques you use in a fight need to be trained to the point of intinctiveness. As of such you cannot learn the techniques quickly as those Krav Maga instructors will tell you; you have to attend regular training sessions (several times a week) and practice them again and again against a resisting opponent. Only after extensive training will techniques become 'instinctive.' Therefore, don't do Krav Maga. You need a place to train at regularly against resisting opponents at Krav Maga (usually) offers niether of those.

erehwesle
1/08/2009 12:40pm,
Thanks for all the good info, folks. I'll post back with how it works out. Thanks particularly Rask, I'm heading up to the Renzo Gracie place today!

Yeah, Krav Maga looks good for a beginner I guess if you know nothing about it. They do promise a short learning curve. I gather though from reading through this site a place that I can train at regularly and that offers sparring regularly is the best for what I'm looking for, practical skills.

Rask
1/08/2009 8:10pm,
Glad to have been able to help.