PDA

View Full Version : Looking into Krav Maga

issalroc
1/06/2009 1:56am,
Hello guys, I'm around 5'11(180cm) and weight around 155lbs(70kg), I'm not in great physical shape but I started working out december last year twice a week(I've got scoliosis and other similar problems, so I have to take care, many years ago I couldn't do any exercises for around 3 months because my back muscles were incredibly stiff, so I'm working out only twice a week and doing physiotherapy) and I'm thinking on starting Krav Maga, the problem is, there's only one place in town and I don't know anyone that practices or practiced Krav Maga and I don't know very much about Krav Maga. I intend to call this place so I can watch a class. So I need help with 3 things:
1)Can Krav Maga hurt my back?
2)Anything I should pay special atention while watching that class?
3)Any way I can "evaluate" the teacher, like looking for common mistakes and **** like this?
Thanks.
Oh yeah, Since I know very little about Krav Maga if someone could enlighten me a little bit I'd be very thankful.

AikidoBot
1/06/2009 1:57am,
Welcome aboard, issalroc! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

Omega Supreme
1/06/2009 2:50am,
Hello guys, I'm around 5'11(180cm) and weight around 155lbs(70kg), I'm not in great physical shape but I started working out december last year twice a week(I've got scoliosis and other similar problems, so I have to take care, many years ago I couldn't do any exercises for around 3 months because my back muscles were incredibly stiff, so I'm working out only twice a week and doing physiotherapy) and I'm thinking on starting Krav Maga, the problem is, there's only one place in town and I don't know anyone that practices or practiced Krav Maga and I don't know very much about Krav Maga. I intend to call this place so I can watch a class. So I need help with 3 things:
1)Can Krav Maga hurt my back?
2)Anything I should pay special atention while watching that class?
3)Any way I can "evaluate" the teacher, like looking for common mistakes and **** like this?
Thanks.
Oh yeah, Since I know very little about Krav Maga if someone could enlighten me a little bit I'd be very thankful.

1. Yes.
2. Yes, find out what Krav Maga they're teaching.
3. See #2. Krav Maga is more of an approach. If they water it down then it's not what you need it to be.

Give me a link. What school?

issalroc
1/06/2009 3:18am,
It's not in the USA, it's in Brazil, but it is filiated to the South American Krav Maga Federation.
And what about the "kinds" of Krav Maga? What are the different approaches one can take?

Omega Supreme
1/06/2009 3:30am,
There's Military and Civilian Krav Maga.

CrackFox
1/06/2009 3:34am,
If you're worried about your back, why don't you just try a few classes and see how it goes? You're physio therapist know what you're doing and get their opinion. As long as you don't sign any long term contracts with the krav place, you can just quit if it starts doing too much damage to your back.

issalroc
1/06/2009 3:44am,
Also, from what I read the instructor graduated as a physiotherapist.
And what do Militar and Civilian KM emphasize? I was looking for a martial art with realistic aplications and one that would allow me to disable a trained oponent if I'm properly trained, my main concern is hand hand to hand efficiency, not defending myself when I'm at gunpoint.

Omega Supreme
1/06/2009 3:57am,
Slightly different approach. Just ask the instructor. Both will fit your needs. Military tends to be a bit more rougher.

issalroc
1/06/2009 4:05am,
I see, by the way, any martial arts you would reccommend for what I seek? /i'm still not dead set in Krav Maga but I'm planning to watch a class today.

fek-taek
1/06/2009 6:46pm,
krav maga is kinda cool but it is kinda rough as hell

han090
1/06/2009 6:54pm,
My impression (based solely on other sources, hearsay, and internet videos, so naturally take it with a pinch of salt), is that Krav Maga in Israel is the ****.

But Krav Maga outside Israel is mostly just ****. (or at least, incredibly inferior by comparison).

And that Krav Maga outside of Israel, mostly survives on the reputation of Israeli Krav Maga, and its badassery.

Goju - Joe
1/06/2009 10:00pm,
I see, by the way, any martial arts you would reccommend for what I seek? /i'm still not dead set in Krav Maga but I'm planning to watch a class today.

Well you're in Brazil

If only Brazil had produced some sort of martial art that had taken the world by storm.

Wait... what was it called?

BKF.... Brazillian Kung Fu!!!

No ..

Man I wish could

Jebus Titty Fubbing Christo!!! You're in Brazil do Brazillian Jiu Jitsu!!!

3moose1
1/06/2009 11:48pm,
on the subject of Krav Maga, there is alot of bs out there, that has made the system look awful to people.

However, having had the privilege of meeting a no shi- fo' rizzle Israeli counter-terrorist, i can tell you that if you can find actualy Krav, and not the AGGRESSION + PRESSURE POINT shennanigans you see being pushed now a days, you won't regret it.

It'll hurt, though.

Also, if you're in brazil, do brazilian jiu jitsu. Its like, "hey guiz, i'm going to russia, and looking for a grappling art...how's aikido"?

Rask
1/07/2009 9:55am,
Yep, do BJJ.

Despite the negative reputation it has, I would like to learn Krav Maga some day, for the 'self-defence' techniques it offers. Yes, I know, if someone pulls a knife on you you're fucked anyway, but if I was ever in a situation where I couldn't run, and I HAD to fight someone who had a knife, I would rather have done SOME anti-knife training rather than none at all. Same applies to multiple opponents, guns, etc. Run if you can, fight if you must, and if you must you may as well be prepared as best as possible. Besides, some of the anti-knife and multiple-opponents stuff they do seems to fairly alive, depending on the school.

Mr Clean
1/23/2009 2:51pm,
I took a Krav Maga class in Northern California while I was visiting my parents for the holidays. It was definitely a watered down version, the "civilian" type like Omega was saying. And it was structured more like a RBSD class than a martial arts class. But, not all schools are the same, so you might luck out. Just my 2 cents.

Eudemic
1/23/2009 5:48pm,
Krav Maga has a lot of really good self-defense techniques that are, by and large, fairly easy to pick up and if trainned under pressure can be counted on to keep you whole and hearty.

It's got okay striking on its own, but you'll want to supplement your ground game with something that will have you rolling a lot (I've been doing civ. Krav for 4 years or so and have only seen a few variations on escapes from mount. Saw a defense against rear mount once but it was pretty unrealistic.)

What are you hoping to get out of studying MA?