PDA

View Full Version : Stumbled upon your site while looking

scion0
1/04/2009 3:18pm,
for Joe Miller. Wanted to check it out. I trained in Hakkoryu for 3 years with Sensei Miller while stationed in the Air Force at Yokota AB, Japan. We did have the honor to practice at the hombu of Hakkoryu.

KungFuBot
1/04/2009 3:19pm,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, scion0. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

TheMightyMcClaw
1/04/2009 11:23pm,
Could you give the skinny on Hakkoryu's history and training methodology?

jspeedy
1/05/2009 12:22am,
THat's crazy! I trained in hakkoryu at the "hak-yoshi-tai dojo" in fT. WALTON BEACH, fl (usa) for a little less than a year, technically I still train there just not in that style- I do FMA there on the days the jujutusu guys aren't there. I've seen Soke Miller 3 or 4 times at seminars there, he usually comes once a year and brings a few others w/ him. His seminars are great and he includes other styles w/ open arms, for example the senshi tori guys out of NY are usually there (right up the bullshidoers alley- its a blend of boxing,street fighting & JJJ they spar full contact & very hard core) To jump in and answer TheMightyMcClaw's question- hakkoryu is a traditional japanese JJJ the founder is Ryuho Okuyama who studied under numerous masters of many japanese arts including aikiJJJ master Sokaku Takeda. The wrist locking techniques (that's about as far as I went w/ the hakkoryu system) are similar tp hapkido's wrist locks as both styles originate from the Sokaku style aikiryu JJJ -however the explainations and instruction I got w/ hakkoryu were far more involved. The hakkoryu techniques I learned started from a basic kneeling stance and could be considered quite traditional. Ultimately higher level practitioners learn pressure point attacks (not the one hit magical/BS-dilman style kos, but more like grappeling w/ attention to specific points) and shiatusu or "healing" techniques. The style as I've seen it isn't exactly what your average bullshidoer may be looking for but those guys definately can randori. The hak-yosh-itai dojo guys I know actually train in 3 diff. styles of JJJ the latter being more traditional as well as yoshitsune ( a bit more modern w/ judo influence) and the third- taizan ryu- being police apprehension techniques (seems very street aplicable) for black belt those guys must spar for 30 min straight (not crappy point sparring but not necessarily full contact)

scion0- cool you got to train at the hombu how was it?

bobyclumsyninja
1/05/2009 12:22am,
welcome to bullshido.net ScionO. We have everything here, you might be looking for. Unless we don't have anything on Joe Miller....in which case, we have almost anything you might be looking for.

Don't fear the search function up top, it is your friend. You may also want to check the school reviews...to review your school, or check out potential places to train.

jspeedy
12/09/2009 8:34pm,
for Joe Miller. Wanted to check it out. I trained in Hakkoryu for 3 years with Sensei Miller while stationed in the Air Force at Yokota AB, Japan. We did have the honor to practice at the hombu of Hakkoryu.

You suck for never replying to your OP!