PDA

View Full Version : Muay Thai or Judo

8rendan
1/03/2009 6:46am,
G'day folks,

I have been on here for a while without posting and really enjoyed some of the threads.

I have been studying Karate for nearly a year and also (unfortunately) spent a couple of years studying WT about 10years ago. I would like to take up another martial art as we don't generally spar that hard.

I am interested in giving Muay Thai a go but I have been put off as I have been told I am too old. I am in my early 30's and admittedly a few kilos overweight (too much beer) but have pretty good strength and reasonable cardio.

A few people have suggested that I give Judo a go as it is a solid martial art and I can compete after I have been at it a while.

I am pretty competitive and really like that idea of competition so I think Judo would be good but I really like striking.

Am I too old to give Muay Thai a go or should I accept I'm too old and try Judo?

I would really appreciate the view of those more experienced than me.

Thanks

GhostOfKimura
1/03/2009 6:47am,
In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, 8rendan, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

Sang
1/03/2009 6:52am,
The answer to every question that has been asked and those that have not been asked is always Judo.

Rask
1/03/2009 6:54am,
I know a guy who started Kyokushin Karate at 65, and is now a black belt and still kicks ass ten years later. Age doesn't matter if you are fit. You'll be fine. Even if you're unfit, training will make you fit. You are certainly not too old to start Muay Thai.

Judo is a great martial art which works really well for self-defence. Muay Thai is great too. As I said, your age won't be a problem; do whichever one you enjoy more, as they're both excellent styles. Even better - do both and become a well-rounded fighter.

UKMuayThaiMan
1/03/2009 6:56am,
I started muay thai when I was early 30's with reasonable cardio and a little over weight. Within 6 months was much healthier, fitter and 1 1/2 stone lighter.

I am now 33 and still enjoying it and keep up with everyone in class. I have trained with people in their 40's who were still very good and Im sure it was the muay thai that kept them so young.

Im aware that Im never going to be a world champion but I train hard including hard sparring and hope to compete sometime soon. If thats all your looking for why not?

I have done some MMA classes and I am looking for a judo or BJJ club at the moment to a expand on my ground game.

Both are soild choices I personaly went for muat thai first because I love striking and have a background that includes experience in both boxing and judo (as a teenager).

Anyway good luck in whatever you choose!

pontoon
1/03/2009 6:56am,
One thing to consider is depending on where you live there will be many more opportunities to compete in judo, and grappling in general, than there necessarily will be in muay thai.

Asriel
1/03/2009 7:54am,
You're not too old mate.

Something to note, i actually got more hurt and injured competing in Judo than I did in Muay Thai

AeroChica
1/03/2009 9:37am,
Early thirties too old? Pshaw! I bet your are still wearing diapers, for heaven's sake!

I started boxing at 34, and I will be starting BJJ next week at 36, and there are lots of posters on the boards well in to their 40s. I am more than a few pounds overweight, but yoiu can't let that stop you. Do whatever art catches your interest, take it slow and work within your boundaries. And carry ibuprofen. Looooots of ibuprofen.

hoodedmonk
1/03/2009 1:16pm,
If your joints are healthy and strong you may enjoy judo. I am 38 and I have one knee that gives me fits sometimes doing Bjj. Personally I hate getting thrown, but if your fit I see no reason why you couldnt do either. I think I physically hit my peak at 33.

HappyOldGuy
1/03/2009 1:31pm,
I started Judo+MMA at 39. You're fine. From my experience as far as injuries, Judo=joints, MT=legs and face. So it sorta depends on what you do for a living. If you are in a sales type job, you might not want to explain black eyes etc. Judo will tend to leave you a little more generally banged up in your body. Neither is actualy all that risky of a hobby compared to dirt biking, skiing, etc.

animlmthr
1/03/2009 1:39pm,
If you can afford it and have the time, take both.

hungryjoe
1/03/2009 1:45pm,
If you can afford it and have the time, take both.

^^^^^^^

Do what mother says.

Who told you that you're old?

8rendan
1/03/2009 7:35pm,
Who told you that you're old?

A guy I work with who has been training MT for years.

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'll give both a try and then decide.

Travtex
1/04/2009 1:34am,
Heh, this is my current conundrum. I'm 34, and I've been training within some degree of half-assed since I was about eight. Only been getting more seriously back into it over the past six months to a year, focusing mainly on FMA.

At the moment I'm juggling three gym possibilities. One's Muay Thai (Which is probably where I'm leaning, as I'm inordinately fond of elbows and the clinch), one's Judo, and the third is BJJ/MT.

All in all, having too many good options is an alright problem to have. Just trying to juggle some crap joints steering me away from a grappling focus and a need to be presentable to nervous parents steering me away from getting punched in the face too often.

3moose1
1/04/2009 2:47am,
It all boils down to what you enjoy doing more, getting hit/hitting people, or getting thrown/submitted and throwing/submitting people.

About the whole, "being thrown" thing, it sucks, until you learn proper Ukemi, then its enjoyable. Sounds weird, i know, but you'll see what i mean.

personally, i'd go judo, but try both. You can't really go wrong.