PDA

View Full Version : Fighting in Thailand- need some help

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

vigilus
1/02/2009 12:52pm,
Finding myself in Thailand for a few weeks on Vacation. I managed to get myself in the ring in a couple of very amateur fights. I love it but I'm in a world of hurt, these fucking little guys are insanely fast and they hit super hard. The last time I was in a 'kickboxing' type sparing environment was Taekwondo years ago, not really the same. MMA I've been doing is obviously helping but I need more help. Does anyone have any good fighting tips or advice for someone new to amateur fighting. (TKD & Aikido backround with 4 or 5 months of MMA)

Problems I have so far is that I think I'm using too much energy too fast, I'm trying to hit them as hard as I can and I'm getting tired quick- afterwhich my guard starts to drop and I get pummeled.
Feels like I'm way too slow and I'm having problems getting good clean powerful hits landed.

Also is there anyone on Bullshido who's living in or visiting Phuket or Bankok?

aaaargh
1/02/2009 12:55pm,
Shouldn't you, like, blend with them or something?

jkdbuck76
1/02/2009 1:01pm,
How is your conditioning? Poor? Fair? or Good?

Sounds like you're getting gassed out.

thaiboxersp
1/02/2009 1:07pm,
Finding myself in Thailand for a few weeks on Vacation. I managed to get myself in the ring in a couple of very amateur fights. I love it but I'm in a world of hurt, these fucking little guys are insanely fast and they hit super hard. The last time I was in a 'kickboxing' type sparing environment was Taekwondo years ago, not really the same. MMA I've been doing is obviously helping but I need more help. Does anyone have any good fighting tips or advice for someone new to amateur fighting. (TKD & Aikido backround with 4 or 5 months of MMA)

Problems I have so far is that I think I'm using too much energy too fast, I'm trying to hit them as hard as I can and I'm getting tired quick- afterwhich my guard starts to drop and I get pummeled.
Feels like I'm way too slow and I'm having problems getting good clean powerful hits landed.

Also is there anyone on Bullshido who's living in or visiting Phuket or Bankok?

ive trained in phuket before and the experiences i learned there will last a lifetime. it does sound like you need to heavily work on your cardio. i also reccomend not doing any fights before you are ready.

Kid Miracleman
1/02/2009 3:20pm,
Maybe you should... you know... train Muay Thai? Wouldn't hurt.

Okay, maybe a little. Quite a bit, actually.

E-Van
1/02/2009 3:31pm,
Do they drug test? Because this changes EVERYTHING.

3moose1
1/02/2009 4:52pm,
E-Van is correct.

Squerlli
1/02/2009 8:51pm,
Everytime you train you should pretend that your life depends on it next time you step into the ring. That's what a lot of Thai's feel when they fight.

If you're not training to the point of death (**** exhaustion, being tired is for pussies, you have to push your self so hard you'll die) then don't waste their time. Amey or otherwise.

Tips: Run more. Look up how you should jog and sprint (do both, not just jogging, sprints help with explosiveness). Practice makes perfect so use repetition. Kick the bag 1000 times a bad, do 500 straights, 500 hooks, and 500 uppercuts on the hook box everyday.

It's a totally different level of intensity when you fight to feed your self and your fam. Also remember in Thailand the first round of first 2 rounds are b/s. Being a farang might change things but no one explodes until a round or so into the match. Use that knowledge to your advantage.

Torakaka
1/02/2009 9:18pm,
Don't fight without some sort of actual fight training. Doing an MMA class isn't going to prepare you for an actual thai boxing match. Any sort of advice anyone gives you is going to go right out the window once someone comes at you with bad intentions.

Lone Wind
1/02/2009 9:26pm,
OR you could learn drunken kung fu and kill all of them easily on the first round

thaiboxersp
1/02/2009 11:22pm,
Everytime you train you should pretend that your life depends on it next time you step into the ring. That's what a lot of Thai's feel when they fight.

If you're not training to the point of death (**** exhaustion, being tired is for pussies, you have to push your self so hard you'll die) then don't waste their time. Amey or otherwise.

Tips: Run more. Look up how you should jog and sprint (do both, not just jogging, sprints help with explosiveness). Practice makes perfect so use repetition. Kick the bag 1000 times a bad, do 500 straights, 500 hooks, and 500 uppercuts on the hook box everyday.

It's a totally different level of intensity when you fight to feed your self and your fam. Also remember in Thailand the first round of first 2 rounds are b/s. Being a farang might change things but no one explodes until a round or so into the match. Use that knowledge to your advantage.

well said. one thing i noticed when i was training there was the look in everyones eye while training. its a constant state of hunger knowing that their next fight could make or break them so of speak. by the time my stay was done i had only the deepest appreciation of how they train, fight and live.

thaiboxersp
1/02/2009 11:23pm,
Don't fight without some sort of actual fight training. Doing an MMA class isn't going to prepare you for an actual thai boxing match. Any sort of advice anyone gives you is going to go right out the window once someone comes at you with bad intentions.

also well said....if your going to fight muay thai, you need to train muay thai

Squerlli
1/03/2009 12:41am,
well said. one thing i noticed when i was training there was the look in everyones eye while training. its a constant state of hunger knowing that their next fight could make or break them so of speak. by the time my stay was done i had only the deepest appreciation of how they train, fight and live.

Fo'shizzle homie.

Where'd you train at in Thailand? Give us some detail on your stay to help move this thread along.

3moose1
1/03/2009 12:54am,
i was THIS close to trolling this thread, but decided not to, out of respect.

vigilus
1/03/2009 8:57am,
I think my conditioning and cardio is pretty decent. I can run 10 miles at a good speed without stopping. When I was sparring in MMA I think I was getting 'gassed out' at first but it went away pretty quick, it seems like I'm starting at zero again. I only have 3 weeks here, I'd rather spend the time actually fighting than have 3 weeks of training and go back to work. Might sound dumb but I don't know when I'll be back.
Maybe I could see if I could train with someone for a week or so just to get the basics down though. What a kick ass country though, I'm sure the locals love beating up tourists like me who 'wanna try Muay Thai'

Sang
1/03/2009 9:16am,
What did your striking in MMA include, how many days a week and how long have you trained it for?