PDA

View Full Version : Don't mess with me, says kung fu Freda

udo
12/27/2003 10:04pm,
http://iccroydon.icnetwork.co.uk/news/croydon/content_objectid=13753458_method=full_siteid=53340 _headline=-Don-t-mess-with-me--says-kung-fu-Freda-name_page.htm

PENSIONER Freda Hall proved she was no pushover when she threatened to use kung fu on a burglar who walked into her house.

The 74-year-old, who lives alone in Waddon, sent the unwelcome visitor packing by saying she would use the ancient Chinese martial art.

Freda was immediately suspicious when a man knocked at her door saying he needed to check the water pressure, and kept a watchful eye on him.

She said: "He picked the wrong person."

When the man went inside, he said he needed to go upstairs to the bathroom, but she refused to let him and told him to check the kitchen taps while she was in there.

She said: "He told me he'd been doing some plumbing next door and he had to check the water pressure.

"I told him my water was nothing to do with next door's.

"He was laughable really.

"He argued on with me, saying his boss would be angry if he didn't do it, so I told him I'd write a note for his boss, saying I was satisfied, and he eventually took it and left."

About 10 minutes later, Mrs Hall heard some floorboards creaking.

She walked into the kitchen to find the same man had let himself back in.

She said: "I asked him what he thought he was doing and that you couldn't just walk in without ringing the bell or knocking on the door.

"He said he had to check this water. So I made him sit down and I said "You're lucky I don't use my kung fu moves on you or you'd be smashed into the floor.

"He was pale already, but he went a lot paler after that."

She added: "He said he still needed to go and check the toilet but I told him he wasn't going anywhere.

"He must have been here about 10 minutes but he eventually left and he hasn't come back."

The man had previously been next door and asked to go inside for a glass of water.

One of Mrs Hall's elderly friends was pushed to the ground and hit by a burglar earlier this year.

Mrs Hall said: "I'm strong-willed and if anyone tried to hurt me I would have a go, even if I ended up getting killed at the end of it."

Police have since charged a man who they think is responsible for that incident and a string of similar burglaries, and he is due to stand trial in the new year.

PC John Bagnall, of the burglary squad at South Norwood police station, said: "Mrs Hall was really quite switched on and knew he was up to no good.

"Although she is quite elderly, she is quite imposing.

"Unfortunately, some people aren't so lucky and we want to send a message to them not to let anyone into their homes unless they can prove who they are.

"This is something the police are taking very seriously."

Mrs Hall said: "The police were very concerned and caring and I'd like to thank them for everything they did."
l

udo
12/27/2003 10:05pm,
I don't know what this really has to do with martial arts, but I found it amusing.

Kungfoolss
12/27/2003 10:26pm,
Originally posted by udo
I don't know what this really has to do with martial arts, but I found it amusing.

Many stylists suffer from the same delusions. Age really isn't a factor when you come right down to it.

MuayThaiBri67
12/27/2003 11:48pm,
Yes, it was pretty amusing. The burglar was probably so pale because he was in withdrawl from drugs, not her threating him with kung fu.

Stick
12/28/2003 12:20am,

Good grief. Sounds like he was pretty committed to a non-violent crime, lucky her.

elipson
12/28/2003 12:24am,
the guy sounds like a *****. Too bad all criminals aren't ass bad ass as this guy!

udo
12/28/2003 11:12pm,
I would like to know if she was actually trained, or just bluffing. It didn't say in the article.

blankslate
12/30/2003 12:56pm,
Chudo, this is a good story. I think these have everything to do with the context of self defense situations and all the different variables that are present.