PDA

View Full Version : New in town Austin

Spartan14
12/31/2008 7:03pm,
Howdy,
I am new to the board and looking into some practical martial arts in my area. Still reading all I can to figure out what discipline I should focus on. I am considering something like mma. Whatever it is I'd be interested in it incorporating the use of a knife and handgun on my person since it seems like these 2 items can drastically change the outcome of a battle. I will be carrying these items with me at all times so I think its worth incorporating. Also for arguments sake if you don't believe me consider the swordsman bringing a knife to Indiana Jones Gun fight. The only martial arts training I've received thus far is 4 years of Marine Corps Martial arts which really boils down to some basic strikes and some nifty things like breaking rear chokes, arms bars, blood chokes, some basic grappling, etc. etc. Most of which I've forgotten I train with weights heavy 5 days a week. I also get 2-4 days of cardio depending on my work schedule. I am young and in good health. I've been trying to pack on some more weight since it seems like with the absence of skill a little bit of brute force has helped me overpower some less muscular ninja masters(I know its just luck but I still feel better being strong and ignorant rather than just ignorant). Ie putting an arm bar on somebody who's arm you can't extend is difficult. Anyone have any suggestions what direction I should go.

Opinions?

TKDBot
12/31/2008 7:04pm,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, Spartan14. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

animlmthr
12/31/2008 8:08pm,
I think you got the right idea. A MMA school will offer striking and grappling classes, which is the best IMO.

Welcome! And you should see about getting a nifty military tag!!