PDA

View Full Version : a second martial art

Pages : [1] 2 3

synan
12/29/2008 6:53pm,
hey guys im new here and just wanted to ask a question from people with experience. i've done capoeira for a lttle over a year now and am wanting to pick a second martial art. i want to look for something that hopefully fills atleast one of these criteria if any of you guys could help.

-defence against multiple opponents
-works well with capoeira
-serious sparring sessions
-good in a real defence situation
-might be able to practice at home or if necessary from books and tapes

all suggestions are appreciated and thanks for your time

-synan:car40:

Zimmer
12/29/2008 6:56pm,
Worst troll job ever.

EDIT: But seriously your answer would be Nintaijutsu.

synan
12/29/2008 7:03pm,
sorry if it seemed like a troll but i have no reason to troll was looking for a serious answer

2Many
12/29/2008 7:04pm,
I'll presume innocence until proven guilty.

-defence against multiple opponentsNo martial art can adequately prepare you for this. The only ways to defeat multiple opponents:
1. Get behind a choke point so they can attack only one at a time (ie. a doorway, top of a stair case).
2. Move around and attack the guy on the far flank in order to keep them in your field of vision.

Neither of those methods will guarantee your success. Multiple opponents are always bad - full stop.

-good in a real defence situationWorks well with capoeira? Anything can work well with anything else. It's up to you to figure out the right adjustments when you train. Remember that martial arts is a very personal pursuit.

Boxing, muay thai, kick boxing, judo, BJJ, some jujitsu, some forms of full-contact karate, have serious sparring and work well in "the street".

-might be able to practice at home or if necessary from books and tapesNone. Any martial art or combative school that claims you can "teach yourself" from books/tapes/DVD should be avoided. Martial arts is a discipline of combat, and you can only effectively train for combat if you train with other people. You can practice some techniques in the air, but that won't teach you the applications in a fight.

ysc87
12/29/2008 7:18pm,
I'd suggest Judo.

But if you want something that works well with Capoeira, I've heard Ballet and Riverdancing are good matches.

animlmthr
12/29/2008 7:22pm,
SAMBO; because it's the best.

Kentucky Fried Chokin
12/29/2008 7:38pm,
Just take BJJ.

Vieux Normand
12/29/2008 7:39pm,
Piano-wire parkour.

synan
12/29/2008 7:48pm,
thx for the reply guys i now see why i might have come across as trolling ill have a look into some of your suggestions

hoodedmonk
12/29/2008 7:58pm,
For you synan! only the best. I strongly advise wing chun.

Vieux Normand
12/29/2008 8:05pm,
Hoodedmonk, who gave you permission to steal Rivington's avatars?

hoodedmonk
12/29/2008 8:08pm,
Hoodedmonk, who gave you permission to steal Rivington's avatars?Dem's girlz! that rules out Rivington.

zlarin
12/29/2008 9:34pm,

Make multiple friends.

Take all of your friends and enroll in judo.

Please don't.

In all seriousness though, I find judo to work well with pretty much anything you want it to. Can't say I've ever done capoeira, so I probably don't know what mixes well with it, but I'm sure judo would give you a pretty unique combo of tools as a capoeirista/grappler. If you do end up taking judo, I demand a future clip of you doing your fancy capoeira-handstand whatnot, then dropping your opponent with o soto gari.

TheMightyMcClaw
12/29/2008 9:59pm,
Can we just create a bot that automatically tells people to take Judo whenever they post a "what martial art should I study" thread?
It would make judo nutriding much more efficient.

hoodedmonk
12/29/2008 10:08pm,
Can we just create a bot that automatically tells people to take Judo whenever they post a "what martial art should I study" thread?
It would make judo nutriding much more efficient.Bot's are smarter than that! they would tell you to take Bjj.

DunkelAnanas
12/30/2008 12:06am,
hey guys im new here and just wanted to ask a question from people with experience. i've done capoeira for a lttle over a year now and am wanting to pick a second martial art. i want to look for something that hopefully fills atleast one of these criteria if any of you guys could help.

all suggestions are appreciated and thanks for your time

-synan:car40:
Wait!? A WHOLE year? Synan, don't bother learning any other art. You're ready to teach!