PDA

View Full Version : Rehydration.

Pages : [1] 2

Hannibal
12/27/2003 5:54am,
Here is an interesting point.

Does anyone know of any good rehydration substances or liquids ? (appart from water)

I was reading somewhere that regardless of the daily temperature you can be dehydrated, I mean you can even be dehydrated in the North Pole. And that your thirst level is not a good indicator of your level of hydration because it does not relate to any internal water deficiancy.

PizDoff
12/27/2003 11:41am,
Take fruit juices. No sugar added.
Why not just eat the fricking fruit?

Sports drinks have potassium and sodium as well as sugar carbs.
This (sports drinks) has discussed before. Use it if it works for you.

"And that your thirst level is not a good indicator of your level of hydration because it does not relate to any internal water deficiancy."
For non-athelete or people not doing atheletic exercises thirst IS an indication of lower body water levels and your body notifies you of this by thirst.

For atheletes who are training thirst is NOT a good indicator of dehydration.
By the time the exercising athelete feels thirsty he/she is already dehydrated.
Therefore exercising atheletes need more water intake before he/she feels thirsty.

PizDoff
12/27/2003 11:43am,
Ignoring the spelling/"grammer" (sic..) mistakes...

Read at least the first one...
http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=474C4EB1-8EB6-4C98-983D02CBF348B86E
http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=C0A49481-26BD-4271-863888098A6766FB

Punisher
12/27/2003 3:21pm,
I drink about a gallon of water a day on top of anything else I drink. I have to, doctor's orders due to a predisposition to kidney stones. It is damn hard. I always have a cup of water on my desk and I have to go to the bathroom about once a hour. My urine is supposed to have no color to it. Just like anything else you have to have discipline and keep up with it. I drink water before, during, and after my workouts. My body has become used to being hydrated and I suffer noticable losses in performance if I'm not.

Hannibal
12/27/2003 8:22pm,
Thank you both.

9chambers
12/27/2003 9:31pm,
gatorade

.. gatorade is handy to have while working out. At rest I mainly drink water and juice. Soft drinks and tea have a lot of calories. I never drink alchohol.

I also drink milk sometimes. My doctor told me that it's just mostly fat and you get enough calcium in other stuff .. but for some reason I just think I should drink it. Also, chocolate milk is good.

blue-dragon
12/28/2003 10:25pm,
"I mean you can even be dehydrated in the North Pole."

Damn right! I can hike a good couple of miles anytime of year and need a drink of water.

Water is the key. If you are thirsty you are getting dehydraded. If you are truly dehydraded you will want water. Gatorade can have negative effects in extreme heat or if you drink tons of it on a hot day. I will drink a gatorade and a water.

I focus on hydrating well before the task ahead of me. That way I am hydrated good and won't have to get a large stomach full of water during stress actions.

"the only thing promised in life is death, everything else is achievement"

9chambers
12/28/2003 10:32pm,
why does gatorade have a bad effect?

blue-dragon
12/28/2003 11:02pm,
One summer at work I drank at least 4 of those 32 ounce gatorades and got dog sick from it. I still get nausea If I drink it at work on a blistering hot day. Its not a proven research to me but my experience. When I took BMT years ago they gave us watered down gatorade to drink during chow along with plain water.

I just feel Gatorade is a quick fix to a quick workout and is not as efficient to water on long all day physical actions on hot and humid days.

"the only thing promised in life is death, everything else is achievement"

Owen
12/29/2003 3:23am,
Gatorade is a decent sports drink. Don't believe the hype by Powerade about "1/3 more carbs, 1/3 more POWER!" The reason there's relatively few carbs in Gatorade is because once a certain number of carbs hits your digestive system, your body will pull blood from working muscles to aid in digestion. Gatorade was initially designed to replenish spent carbs and nutrients without the negative effect of signaling a digestive response within the body. To spare you the bore of reading about systemic responses to digestive stimuli I'll give you some articles to read:

Runners: Let Thirst Guide Hydration.; Physician & Sportsmedicine, Jun2003, Vol. 31 Issue 6, p13, 1/5p, 1bw

New Hydration Recommendations.; By: Schnirring, Lisa., Physician & Sportsmedicine, Jul2003, Vol. 31 Issue 7, p15, 3p, 1c

Efficacy Comparison of Oral Rehydration Solutions Containing Either 90 or 75 Millimoles of Sodium per Liter. By: Pizarro, Daniel; Castillo, Bernardita; Posada, Gloria; Lizano, Cecilia; Mata, Leonardo., Pediatrics, Feb87, Vol. 79 Issue 2, p190, 6p

Hot Time in the Summertime: Hydration and Athletic Performance. By: Wetherall, Karen. Athletic Therapy Today, Jul2003, Vol. 8 Issue 4, p51, 3p; (AN 10325123)

Educational Strategies Used in Increasing Fluid Intake and Enhancing Hydration Status in Field Hockey Players Preparing for Competition in a Hot and Humid Environment: A Case Study. By: Dabinett, Jackie A.; Reid, Karen; James, Nic. International Journal of Sport Nutrition & Exercise Metabolism, Sep2001, Vol. 11 Issue 3, p334, 15p, 2 charts, 5 graphs; (AN 6627601)

Rehydration strategies before and after exercise. By: Burke, Louise M.. Australian Journal of Nutrition & Dietetics, Dec96 Supplement, Vol. 53 Issue 4, pS22, 5p; (AN 9701030066)

Those are a good start and I'm sure a quick google will get you about 50,000 more.

IndoChinese
12/29/2003 3:47am,
gatorade is fucking garbage. loaded with sugar.

water is best.

PizDoff
12/29/2003 3:04pm,
Originally posted by 9chambers
gatorade

.. gatorade is handy to have while working out. At rest I mainly drink water and juice. Soft drinks and tea have a lot of calories. I never drink alchohol.

I also drink milk sometimes. My doctor told me that it's just mostly fat and you get enough calcium in other stuff .. but for some reason I just think I should drink it. Also, chocolate milk is good.

Alcohol - Horrible for hydration. :D
Also fucks with protein synthesis so I am not so enamoured to inbibe myself.

Milk - Depends what % fat you get.
LOOK AT THE FREAKING nutritional labels on it.
Get skimmed milk if you want the cals with lesser fat.

Chocolate milk - Good for extra cals and carbs when you are bulking.

I really only suggest water for rehydration. But depends at what stage you are at in your exercise. Post-martial arts and post-workout Gatorade or other sugar laden drinks are more acceptable because your body (muscles) will NOT have to do more work. And blood can then go to the stomach to facilitate the synthesis of food.

"but for some reason I just think I should drink it."
uh right......milk fetish?

shironinja
12/29/2003 3:37pm,
I usually mix around 1/5 fruit juice with 4/5 water plus flavorless whey protein (optional depending on my exercise activity). Cheaper than any sports drink.

Freddy
12/29/2003 7:11pm,
I still think plain old water is best. Its easier on your kidneys and liver. Anything else your body will have to cleanse it out of the blood stream. Your body needs the water to remove the ammonia and uric acid etc. in your blood stream. Just drink the best cleanest water.

Kuya
12/30/2003 2:20am,
For more intense workouts, Ive always drank 16oz of water before starting, 8oz every 45 minutes during the workout, and then 6oz of juice (usually orange) followed by 32 oz of water. I try to keep drinking water for the next hour, usually another 16oz, otherwise I will be majorly contipated the next day. I also noticed in winter months keeping my mouth and nasal cavity moist (swish some water around the mouth douse face) helps immensely in breathing properly as the overly dry air can reak havoc on my lungs (never had the strongest of lungs). I probably should drink more water while working out, but find drinking too much water makes the stomach feel to bloated.

Owen
12/30/2003 3:15am,
Originally posted by Kuya
I will be majorly contipated the next day.

No harm in leaving that particular out of the limelight.