PDA

View Full Version : Octopus Guard set ups?

Pages : [1] 2

MrBadGuy
12/27/2008 12:40am,
So, I know this is SO 2006, but I've just fallen in love with the Octopus guard. I use it for sweeps and back takery in half guard, with the low percentage leg locks here and there. It's really easy to get in half guard, even with big guys trying to smash me into taco bits.

However, full guard, I'm having an impossible time getting to the Ocotpus position. I've had obscenely limited success with an arm drag variant, and only slightly better success with a failed armbar attempt. For you chosen few who use the octopus, what are some suggested set ups?

Skillful
12/27/2008 8:43am,
I'd advise you not limit your search to those who like to stay in this position, as getting to the back has the same requirements. Why not search for methods to take the back from the full guard and adapt them to this sort of limbo-between-guard-and-the-back position?

M-Tri
12/27/2008 9:01am,
are you doing more gi or no-gi?

my personal favorite is to get the same side sleeve grip and loop it behind my head as I swim my other arm through and pull him in with my legs the way Tinguinha does in this article:

http://www.ultimategrapplingmag.com/content/view/655/37/

you can do this in no-gi with wrist control also, but obviously it's not as high percentage. in the gi this is near unstoppable when timed correctly.

Omega Supreme
12/27/2008 9:04am,
Fucking BJJ.

*edit:
I don't want any fucker who takes BJJ ever to make fun of the funky names that Kung-fu has.

M-Tri
12/27/2008 9:18am,
What's the matter Crouching Tiger? don't you use a little Rubber Guard when you break out the Hidden Dragon?

if not you really should

3moose1
12/27/2008 12:25pm,
To be completely honest, i'm not even sure wtf octopus guard is, or what you can do from it.

Vince Tortelli
12/27/2008 12:47pm,
Octopus Guard, Spider Guard, De La Riva Guard, Goes Guard, Misery Guard, Rubber Guard, Damn Good Guard, Sit Up Guard, Butterfly Guard, X-Guard...

I'm with Omega, this is getting out of hand.

MrBadGuy
12/27/2008 12:55pm,
I'd advise you not limit your search to those who like to stay in this position, as getting to the back has the same requirements. Why not search for methods to take the back from the full guard and adapt them to this sort of limbo-between-guard-and-the-back position?

Damn, that was so obvious I'm surprised I didn't think of it. Thanks.

M-tri:

I was looking for no gi, but your link only reinforces the fact that octopus is a pit stop on the taking the back train, and thus, I can modify taking the back moves for octopus set ups.

Also, BJJ uses cool animals. Kung fu uses ghey ones. Dragon? Please. I much prefer the manly butterfly guard.

3moose1
12/27/2008 1:25pm,
Seriously, all this guard nomenclature is getting ridiculous. Seems like someone wants a piece of BJJ history.

Telles is a bit too loving on the animal names, too.

Besides back taking, what can you do from octopus guard?

MrBadGuy
12/27/2008 2:23pm,
Submissions and sweeps?

Omega Supreme
12/27/2008 3:42pm,
You're right, we should stop naming things. Make sure all this "communication stuff" stops. Cuz it's for homos.

What's Osoto gari mean? Outside foot reap? Wow. Why don't you call it dragon tail throw?

Cassius
12/27/2008 3:53pm,
What's Osoto gari mean? Outside foot reap? Wow. Why don't you call it dragon tail throw?Did I ever make fun of Kung Fu for giving fruity names to stuff? No?

Suck it.

More importantly, I'm not sure you can really describe a lot of grappling positions while preserving brevity. Octopus guard. Lockdown. Spiderweb. Yes, they all have ridiculous names, but at least they're distinct.

3moose1
12/27/2008 4:12pm,
What's Osoto gari mean?

Major Outer reap?

Outside foot reap?

nope

Wow.

Indeed

Why don't you call it dragon tail throw?
Thats gay.

Omega Supreme
12/27/2008 4:18pm,
That's smart moose let's correct the Judo Blackbelt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osoto_Gari

and where as you're not wrong neither am I.

3moose1
12/27/2008 4:28pm,
Well, i was kidding, going for lulz, omegakins.

you know i less then three you.

also, look at the wiki page again....

WHAT? SOMEONE RE-EDITED IT?

WHY?

Anyway, besides taking the back, what can you use octopus guard for...?

M-Tri
12/27/2008 4:52pm,
I think Octopus Guard is a very under-rated position because people think it's gimmicky and only good for taking the back.

Obviously OG is good for taking the back (like BJ did to Hughes in their first fight), but there's a lot more you can do from there. For one the hip-heist sweep is unstoppable from this position, and people consistantly do the stupid reach back thing and give you a modified omoplata, but most of all is probably the Darce.

I think the Darce is probably the deadliest technique from this position because it's near impossible to see coming and incredibly easy to slap on from here.