PDA

View Full Version : is kicking with the insteps that bad?

Pages : [1] 2 3

truepwrz
12/25/2008 1:04am,
Today i was at a taekwondo school just waiting for my younger cousin to get off his training, my friend(idiot) was there arguing wit a black belt about tkd vs mt and they were in for some light sparring after class i surpose. It was going nice and friendly until the tkd threw a head kick into my friends guard and i heard a crack. looks like he injured his ankle a little bit.

I am just wondering is it really that bad kicking with the insteps since you injure your ankles if they block the instep of your feet or check your feet somehow?

henshinx
12/25/2008 1:08am,
so tkd guy kicks with instep injures his ankle and you ask if its that bad?

ok well Ive accidentally hit with my instep and yes its bad I was out for like a month

truepwrz
12/25/2008 1:11am,
i mean i notice when i spar or even do padwork at my gym sometimes i kick with my insteps misjudging the distance. watching that sparring match i got a pretty good idea of what a wrong instep kick can do to you but just wonder if theres any advantages or hidden dangers.

Domite
12/25/2008 1:36am,
It's not that bad, but it can injure you.

Anna Kovacs
12/25/2008 1:54am,
Ask again after you've broken your foot on someones elbow.

It puts a lot of fighters out of the game for a while to catch an elbow.

Omega Supreme
12/25/2008 2:00am,
I'll go instep when I go head and leg never the body.

Anna Kovacs
12/25/2008 2:04am,
About the same here. though shin to the head is better still. A few weeks ago I actually knocked some guy out in sparring because he was overextending his jabs and turning to sideways, so I timed one and came over the top of his arm and shoulder and connected with my shin to the back of his head. He went down hard.

I felt a little guilty, but it was cool at the same time because it was timed so well and the guy was a couple inches taller then me.

Omega Supreme
12/25/2008 2:07am,
I used to aim with the shin to the head but it shortened my reach so much that I decided to go back to the instep.

So he threw a left jab and you came over with your right?

henshinx
12/25/2008 2:10am,
just for the record I hit my friends elbow while we sparring it was a light kick but it still hurt like hell I didn't break anything but I couldn't use that foot for a while. Just remember to always wear shin pads and always practice proper form so you don't screw up like I did

just noticed you do boxing, are you thinking of learning some kicks?

Anna Kovacs
12/25/2008 2:20am,
So he threw a left jab and you came over with your right?

Yep, over and down and chopped right on the back of his head.

Omega Supreme
12/25/2008 2:46am,
Yep, over and down and chopped right on the back of his head.

damn...

I mean...yeah, I've done that before.

Hesperus
12/25/2008 3:33am,
Omega, do you throw to the leg with your instep if you think they're any good at shin checking?

Omega Supreme
12/25/2008 3:39am,
No, I test the waters first.

maofas
12/25/2008 4:26am,
I've hurt my instep and other people's a bunch of times bringing our elbows down to cover our midsection. So, I've aimed to the body with the shin for years, but I only made the switch to shin for the high kick less than a year ago. I haven't been sparring with striking as I'd like to lately, but, so far I'm liking it better for two reasons.

One, people's natural inclination is to move back when something comes at them, so it's not exactly uncommon to wind up hitting them in the head with your instep when you aimed for shin. Aiming with the instep, I had a lot more near-misses that would have been direct hits had I made the switch sooner.

Two, this will sound weird, but I really appreciate the shorter, almost boxing range of the headkick with the shin. I've heard from a few people that they didn't think I could've kicked them from so close.

Goju - Joe
12/25/2008 8:57am,
Ask again after you've broken your foot on someones elbow.

It puts a lot of fighters out of the game for a while to catch an elbow.

Saw exactly this during sparring at my Goju jitsu class

stopped kicking with my instep

On the other hand Corey Hills broken shin can also show the danger in that as well

Lucky for me I kick like a feather

Omega Supreme
12/25/2008 12:24pm,
I've hurt my instep and other people's a bunch of times bringing our elbows down to cover our midsection. So, I've aimed to the body with the shin for years, but I only made the switch to shin for the high kick less than a year ago. I haven't been sparring with striking as I'd like to lately, but, so far I'm liking it better for two reasons.

One, people's natural inclination is to move back when something comes at them, so it's not exactly uncommon to wind up hitting them in the head with your instep when you aimed for shin. Aiming with the instep, I had a lot more near-misses that would have been direct hits had I made the switch sooner.

Two, this will sound weird, but I really appreciate the shorter, almost boxing range of the headkick with the shin. I've heard from a few people that they didn't think I could've kicked them from so close.

I'll do a round house ball kick if I fight guys who are dropping their elbows to gaurd their body.