PDA

View Full Version : Ronin Rob Bank

Pages : [1] 2 3

Stick
12/25/2003 6:41pm,
Saw this in the paper some time ago, should've posted it, eh, oh well, enjoy.

http://www.japantimes.com/cgi-bin/getarticle.pl5?nn20031126b2.htm

Modern-day samurai rob post office

UTSUNOMIYA, Tochigi Pref. (Kyodo) Three men armed with samurai swords burst into a post office Tuesday afternoon in the city of Oyama, Tochigi Prefecture, and made off with around 9.6 million yen, police said.
The police said the trio entered the post office at 12:55 p.m., ordered officials not to move and demanded money.

They forced the postmaster to open the safe, grabbed a cash box containing some 9 million yen and took roughly 600,000 yen from the counters before fleeing, the police said.

There were no customers in the post office at the time and no one was injured, they said.

The Japan Times: Nov. 26, 2003

blankslate
12/30/2003 12:58pm,
Hmm, the thread says "Bank" but the article says "Post office".

American postal workers would have freaked on the guys probably. We have an expression here called "going Postal" on someone.

What is that much money doing in a Post Office? how much is that in American dollars?

Stick
12/30/2003 11:19pm,
Hmmmmm, well, shows my reading comprehension. Saw it in the paper nearly a month ago, just felt like posting the story, didn't re-read it, also if I'm not mistaken there have been a few other robberies like this one lately. I'll check.

Yen is basically liking counting out dollars in cents. right now it's something like 105 yen to the dollar (average candy bar is 80-100 yen), very close. Around $95,000 I'd guess.

poet
12/31/2003 12:25am,
Damn when I was there it was like 140 - $1.
I should have bought more Yen.

Stick
12/31/2003 1:00am,
should've bought an ass load of yen at the start of the occupation (360 yen to the dollar) then converted to dollars in 86 (IIRC) when it was 75 yen to the dollar.

When I first got here it was like 125 yen to the dollar, since then the yen got stronger.

Phoenix
12/31/2003 1:10am,
These guy's will get caught, if they haven't already. Japanese cops are far superior to North American police.

Stick
12/31/2003 1:17am,
How do you figure?

Phoenix
12/31/2003 1:21am,
Because the crime rate in Japan is nearly 90% lower than it is in North America. Usually, when a criminal commits a crime, he will be caught because he expects to be caught.

Japan is one of the leading edge countries in law enforcement practice and techniques. In fact, several police agencies in North America and Europe are starting to adopt some of the practices that Japan utilizes, both on the crime fighting end and administrative end as well.

Trust me, the Japanese are really ahead of their game in law enforcement.

liuzg150181
12/31/2003 6:06am,
Originally posted by Rising Phoenix
Because the crime rate in Japan is nearly 90% lower than it is in North America. Usually, when a criminal commits a crime, he will be caught because he expects to be caught.

Japan is one of the leading edge countries in law enforcement practice and techniques. In fact, several police agencies in North America and Europe are starting to adopt some of the practices that Japan utilizes, both on the crime fighting end and administrative end as well.

Trust me, the Japanese are really ahead of their game in law enforcement.
Hmmm......i remember a yr or two ago the <Times> magazine had an article about Japan's crime rate and its police,the article makes Japanese police force sounds like *****~~

Phoenix
12/31/2003 2:36pm,
Originally posted by liuzg150181
Hmmm......i remember a yr or two ago the <Times> magazine had an article about Japan's crime rate and its police,the article makes Japanese police force sounds like *****~~

Really? Well, coming from a guy who lives in Singapore, I guess cops in any country would seem like pussies, especially with your criminal justice system. Hell, I heard Singapore cops get to cane guys, innocent or guilty, and get away with it.

What did this article say about Japan's crime rate though?

Jenfucius
12/31/2003 2:43pm,
what you guys are failing to realize is that japanese criminals are pussies. any american worth his salt would have busted a cap in those sword wielded bandits, yo.

Stick
12/31/2003 3:15pm,
I'd have to agree with Jen, seen quite a few "thugs" these guys would be eaten alive in the states, to say nothing of Japanese street cops. Though seeing as they don't deal with nearly the same environment, they can afford to be so passive.

I'm sorry, but Japanese cops don't impress me. As for the crime rate being so low, doesn't have as much to do with the cops as you'd think.

Jenfucius
12/31/2003 3:25pm,
japanese criminals need to quit their crying and pump some iron!

garbanzo
12/31/2003 3:33pm,
The low crime rate in Japan has way more to do the their economy, society and culture than it does with the efficiency of their police.

Phoenix
12/31/2003 5:37pm,
Originally posted by Dai-Tenshi
I'd have to agree with Jen, seen quite a few "thugs" these guys would be eaten alive in the states, to say nothing of Japanese street cops. Though seeing as they don't deal with nearly the same environment, they can afford to be so passive.

I'm sorry, but Japanese cops don't impress me. As for the crime rate being so low, doesn't have as much to do with the cops as you'd think.

I don't think you understand.

The reason why they don't have the same environment as we do here in North America is because of their methods. They are not nearly as complacent as their North American counterparts when it comes to fighting crime. That is why the crime rate is so low in Japan.

Realistically speaking, law enforcement has very little to do with looking tough and getting into fights with criminals. That **** is for the movies.

I've been a cop for the last 5 years. What are you? An exchange student, right?

If you asked any police officer what it's like to do the job, one of the first things any one of them, including myself, would tell you is that it is not even close to what you see on television.

I also have a few friends that work for Tokyo Metro.

Sorry to come across as blunt, Dai-Tenshi, but you might wanna try getting some experience in the field, or at least reading up on the subject before you start spouting off about what does or does not impress you about law enforcement.

liuzg150181
12/31/2003 9:25pm,
Originally posted by Rising Phoenix
Really? Well, coming from a guy who lives in Singapore, I guess cops in any country would seem like pussies, especially with your criminal justice system. Hell, I heard Singapore cops get to cane guys, innocent or guilty, and get away with it.

What did this article say about Japan's crime rate though?
Must be Micheal Faye who spread all those rubbish......
No,Singapore Police isn't going to cane anyone,and we dont do it in public.Only after going to court and the judge(sorry,no more jury in Singapore) decides that the accused is guilty then caning is served with jail sentence(not all crimes are liable to caning,only rape,molest,defacing public property,serious physical assault,manslaughter,or murder/drug trafficking if death sentence is replaced by jail terms ),and age and medical conditions are taken into consideration~~~

According to that aricle, Japan's crime rate,esp. Juvenile crimes, is rising,and the Japanese police,being soft after years of low crime rate and too many old policemen around,is hapless to solve the problem