PDA

View Full Version : And some wonder why KKW TKD is becoming laughing stock

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Miguksaram
12/22/2008 12:45pm,
Ok, so I'm on another forum called Martial Talk. The subject of the thread is Your 1st Dan testing which is about what people had to do for their first dan test. While interesting to see what most people go though, one gentleman felt that some of our tests were too much like Marine boot camp and well you will just have to read and make your own judgement on the whole ongoing ordeal. Suffice to say I disagree with him 20 minute determination of a black belt.

Your 1st Dan testing (http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=70665)

jkdbuck76
12/22/2008 1:24pm,
It all depends on what you're really testing. Testing whether they got cash or if they got character.

A BB test should be very difficult and an ordeal.

Miguksaram
12/22/2008 2:19pm,
It all depends on what you're really testing. Testing whether they got cash or if they got character.

I agree...but that is just my opinoin. My HKD teacher never tested us. Once he felt you were ready you were hit in the head with your new belt. You ceremony was "Hey put this on get back to work". My main problem with this guy is the fact that he questions someone else's way of doing things as though his way is the right way for all.

If it takes you less time to test someone for their black belt that it does for Dominos to deliver your pizza, then don't bother testing at all. Just give them the damn belt.

KO'd N DOA
12/22/2008 2:44pm,
I use to sit on a grading panel as BB (JJ) instructor...You could fail someone in the first 20 minutes whether they should be there or not to test...whether they passed upper level tests took the entire test to determine. I am sure it is the same elsewhere. If you know what you are looking for.

My Red belt (TKD) was technique based, and the range that was acceptable for a pass was on a sliding scale. I would have been much harder on people then the masters. I would have failed people, or denied them the test - refund the money.

MaverickZ
12/22/2008 3:23pm,
My main problem with this guy is the fact that he questions someone else's way of doing things as though his way is the right way for all.
Oh hi, you must be new to bullshido. :)

Miguksaram
12/22/2008 3:47pm,
Oh hi, you must be new to bullshido. :)
Right, I know I was pointing out the obvious...sorry...it's -20 degrees with the wind chill so most logical thinking has turtled. :p

Vieux Normand
12/22/2008 5:49pm,

QFT.

No knockdowns (at the very least)?

No bleeding, no bruises, nary a fracture or lost tooth?

Some ranges but not others?

It ain't a BB test, full stop.

foxguitar
12/23/2008 12:53am,
To me the Black Belt test is just a formality. By the time you test your instructors if they are legit know you are ready , They have watched you and taught you for a lengthy period of time , its not like a college exam where there are right answers .
The test should also be relevant , A average 50 plus year old person is not going to be able to do some of the things a teen might be able do.

I think the test should be challenging and make the person strive to be the best martial artist they could be , it shouldnt just be given away but to make so difficult that only a gifted few pass isnt the answer.

DerAuslander
12/23/2008 2:43pm,
They don't like me at MartialTalk.

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
12/23/2008 3:49pm,

Der, when Martial Talk is rough on you and you feel like they don't care... I'll tell you this

Making your way in the world today takes everything you’ve got.
Taking a break from all your worries, sure would help a lot.
Wouldn’t you like to get away? Sometimes you want to go
Where everybody knows your name,
and they’re always glad you came.
You wanna be where you can see,
our troubles are all the same
You wanna be where everybody knows
Your name.
You wanna go where people know,
people are all the same,
You wanna go where everybody knows
your name.

http://joelauzon.com/images/link_bullshido.jpg

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
12/23/2008 4:03pm,
about BB tests, well it's a test so it has to be tougher then the normal level of your training.
Your teacher already knows that you're BB material before you test (he has trained you), the test is to see if you can function under pressure.

about Martial Talk, I stopped posting there because there's no challenge, everyone wants to play nice, it's like they are afraid of disccussion.

Miguksaram
12/26/2008 8:52am,
Little by little I seem to be pissing off the right people. :)

coytheboy
12/27/2008 3:25am,
What bothered me the most about my bb test in tkd was how much it was. It was split in to two parts one test the other a demo. The Demo was ment for you to show off. Bring friends and family type of thing. I never did the demo as I got the chance to go to Japan. I also never paid the $350 testing fee. That was 11 years ago. I have not been back to tkd since. I felt kind of burned by the tkd testing fees.
Sorry off topic a bit.
My point is that belt promotion can tell you alot about the school you are at. The test should up hold the values of that school/club.
What does bb mean to you? If you can answer that question then making a test should be easyer.

Miles
12/28/2008 9:57am,
I have done black belt tests which were nearly 72 hours straight through and black belt tests which were only 4 hours long.

When I test someone for black belt, I already know what they can do since I've been watching them for 4-5 yrs. But I want them to demonstrate how much they want it to the other students and any spectators who might be there. I recently tested a 12 yr old for his 1st poom (jr black belt). He did all basics, demonstrated footwork and kicking drills, all 8 Taegueks, he broke boards with every kick I could think of, then he sparred. He had to spar one-on-one about 6 times, then 2 on 1 for 4 minutes. One of his opponents is his 320lb father (3rd dan) who gave no quarter.

My point is that the black belt test is an important milestone and it should be memorable (bruise-worthy). I don't need to have anyone get knocked out, but I want them to sweat and work their butts off. The students represent me, and by extension, my instructors and Taekwondo. I want them to be good ambassadors for TKD which has a bad enough reputation anyway.

MaverickZ
12/28/2008 1:33pm,
12 years old?

ToUnderstand
12/29/2008 5:06pm,
12 years old?
in korea you got 11 year old hapkido and tkd bb's no lie.