PDA

View Full Version : Looking Forward to a Trial Class at SBG Portland.

CharlesTC
12/21/2008 4:48am,
I was looking at some photos from what looked to be a BJJ/Grappling Class, and there is one thing I must ask/say.

And I know the jokes on this subject are discouraged, however this is a totally genuine question.

Is it as awkward as it looks like it might be?(As a beginner) I am worried that I am going to be extremely awkwarded out by being so close in another Male's personal space. And no, I am not homophobic, I am just...insecure I guess(For lack of a far better word I can't seem to think of)

I am just curious if it is really that awkward universally or if it is just me, I am going to try to keep it from stopping me since it is something I really want to do.

I guess this post might have been more for self therapy, but some responses would still be helpful I guess. :duckie:

I tried to search for this type of topic, but the letters BJJ brings up too many threads to comb through.

Thank you,
Charles

BJJbot
12/21/2008 4:49am,
So CharlesTC, you decided to go ahead and register huh? Cool. Don't forget to review your dojo (http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=83).

Student
12/21/2008 8:56am,
Charles - I can only tell you my personal experience which was when you watch it often does appear that way but once you are doing it those feelings just aren't there. I've been grappling for about 10 years now and I don't like people to get in my space in a social setting but when I am grappling it just isn't there.

I have not trained at the Portland Gym but have trained with SBG instructors and it's great training and a great atmosphere. Have fun!

CharlesTC
12/21/2008 1:13pm,
Charles - I can only tell you my personal experience which was when you watch it often does appear that way but once you are doing it those feelings just aren't there. I've been grappling for about 10 years now and I don't like people to get in my space in a social setting but when I am grappling it just isn't there.

I have not trained at the Portland Gym but have trained with SBG instructors and it's great training and a great atmosphere. Have fun!

Thank you, I appreciate it. :)

PointyShinyBurn
12/21/2008 9:38pm,
Can be a little weird at first, you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to it.

CharlesTC
12/21/2008 10:12pm,
Can be a little weird at first, you'll be surprised how quickly you get used to it.

Good to know. If I enjoy the class I am sure I will get over it way fast.

Memento18poker
12/24/2008 11:27am,
I
Is it as awkward as it looks like it might be?(As a beginner) I am worried that I am going to be extremely awkwarded out by being so close in another Male's personal space. And no, I am not homophobic, I am just...insecure I guess(For lack of a far better word I can't seem to think of)

Charles

seriously don't worry about it. i've been to 6 bjj sessions and i love it. I was nervous the first time. Everyone is. After 5 or 6 minutes i didn't even think about the personal space problems anymore.

SBG are awesome, their instructors are very good, i'm been trained by purples who are mid brown belt level (according to the main coach who admits he's a sandbagger). They are approachable people, at least where i train