PDA

View Full Version : All at once or focus on bjj

Pages : [1] 2

nayr01
12/16/2008 1:06am,
So im pretty sure this has been done before but i cant find anything. Here's my story. I turned 16 in August and have been doing bjj for one year and am in my second year of wrestling. Basicly i want to become a MMA fighter. Should i focus on training wrestling(untill season is over) and do Bjj for 5-7 hours a week after wrestling is done with some weight lifting,plyos and such.OR should i do Bjj and wrestling untill wresting season is over then do 3-4 hours of bjj a week and about 3 hours of boxing/muay thai. So basicly im asking should i focus just on my bjj till after highschool(year and a half left) or should i start working everything now. Thanks.

Goju - Joe
12/16/2008 1:13am,
At a seminar I was at BJ Penn said you should work on being great at one thing first and then add on to it.

Wrestling is the bridge martial art. It's the art the allows the grapplers to take people down like Randy Couture or strikers to remain standing (like Chuck Lidell)

So I would recommend putting all your energy into wrestling while you can.

Just look at all the people who make it into the uFC many are Div 1 wrestlers

jnp
12/16/2008 1:23am,
Focus on your wrestling now. The older you get, the harder it is to find access to quality wrestling coaches. This is not the case for virtually all the other martial arts you will need to become a good MMA fighter.

datdamnmachine
12/16/2008 1:32am,
I'm partial to Jiu-Jitz myself but I recommend doing both wrestling and BJJ if at all possible. If you can, get a few classes of striking here and there but right now, your wrestling and BJJ will compliment each other where as you won't be utilizing your striking until you actually do some MMA matches. Not denouncing the striking, but it is what it is.

Right now you are a grappler. Work that angle, be the best grappler you can be. Again, as I said, take a few classes of striking right now. See if you can focus on good solid fundamentals of offense and defense. Also see if you can focus on stuff that will put you into position to use your grappling skills.

Right now, I think you will see the benefits in your wrestling by doing Jiu-Jitsu and the benefits in your BJJ by doing wrestling. You won't see those types of gains if you add the striking into the mix. If you be patient, take your time, and don't immediately rush out and do MMA, then you will have the time you need to work on your striking while having an excellent grappling base.

Hesperus
12/16/2008 1:51am,
Wrestling is the bridge martial art. It's the art the allows the grapplers to take people down like Randy Couture or strikers to remain standing (like Chuck Lidell)

Also helps with scrambles and dominant positioning in general. Randy strikes the way he does because of his wrestling background as well, he knows how to control a guy standing up, making it that much easier to punch him in the face.

Focus on your wrestling now. The older you get, the harder it is to find access to quality wrestling coaches.

This is why my single biggest regret in my young life is not wrestling in high school. I thought about it every year, and every year I backed out. Get all the good wrestling in you can now, your opponents will curse you for it later.

Kintanon
12/16/2008 1:54am,
I agree, pour your heart and soul into wrestling NOW while you have the chance. It will be the hardest thing to improve later on. I seriously regret not spending more than 2 years wrestling in HS.

Omega Supreme
12/16/2008 2:26am,
At a seminar I was at BJ Penn said you should work on being great at one thing first and then add on to it.

So I would recommend putting all your energy into wrestling while you can.

Just look at all the people who make it into the uFC many are Div 1 wrestlers

I concur with dumbass here. (Goju not BJ)

Goju - Joe
12/16/2008 2:32am,
In Canadian we spell it Dumbe ass

Omega Supreme
12/16/2008 2:58am,
In American we spell it Canadian.
I was using English.

Goju - Joe
12/16/2008 3:03am,
Why must you hurt me so?

omoplatypus
12/19/2008 9:15pm,
i would kill to have my high school wrestling days back. pour as much as you can into it because there is no promise of being able to wrestle out of high school.

dedicate yourself to it and squeeze the most out of it now while you have it. you can find quality BJJ coaches any time you want later on.

and to agree with one of the above posters, your opponents will curse you for it.

foxd
12/29/2008 11:35am,
SOrt of related but not, is there any other readily available art that could serve as a bridge art in lieu of wrestling? My high school days are well and gone, and I didn't get interested in any kind of activity until about a year ago, unfortunately.

omoplatypus
12/29/2008 12:56pm,
SOrt of related but not, is there any other readily available art that could serve as a bridge art in lieu of wrestling? My high school days are well and gone, and I didn't get interested in any kind of activity until about a year ago, unfortunately.

try bjj. wrestlers make some of the best jits players IMHO. of course, i am biased as i wrestled as well, but you know how that goes. otherwise, there are MMA gyms that have sub grappling. judo is lots of fun, i wish there was a club near me to sign up at.

and if all else fails you can do systema, j/k

omoplatypus
12/29/2008 12:57pm,
doh, i just looked at your style field. you're already doing BJJ/MMA.

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
12/29/2008 1:20pm,

SAMBO or Judo

foxd
12/30/2008 1:08am,
I'd kill to find somewhere near me to train Judo. Unfortunately that wellspring is dry, unless I travel somewhere once a week(An idea I'm becoming less and less adverse to).