PDA

View Full Version : Mount question.

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Goju - Joe
12/16/2008 3:20am,
Well Michigan in practically in Canada so we will take him on a trial basis.

Omega Supreme
12/16/2008 3:49am,
He'll probably lower your curve.

PointyShinyBurn
12/16/2008 5:31am,
One thing that really helps me (150 pounds or so) maintain and transition from mount is to put my feet on his hips, makes it much easier to 'ride' the guy and feel which way his weight is going. If they're bench-pressing me off but I don't feel comfortable taking an arm I tend to jump straight to knee-on-belly using the momentum as they lift me.

Kintanon
12/16/2008 7:29am,
I'm at the "Hold them and work" stage of mount at the moment, and the more I hear from Moose the more I think he's kind of a *****... I hold mount on guys 50lbs heavier than me all the time. I'm the lightest guy in the gym by 20lbs most days, if I stuck to his rule I'd NEVER try to mount anyone. My personal method is to alternate between grapevine, high mount w/ my feet jammed in between their bottom rib and their hip, and technical mount (Which I think is what was referred to as S mount, but not 100% sure). If someone tries to Upa without having an arm, which they usually don't have because I don't give them up I can let them spin under me and take the back or bail back to side control.

Like everyone has said, you HAVE to be dynamic with your positions. The same goes for side control, you can't just lay on someone and hold them there without moving. Eventually you lose out. Same with guard, if you just lay there and hold them you'll eventually get passed on the bottom or subbed on the top. Stay active, stay mobile.

UpaLumpa
12/16/2008 10:54am,
If you're a lightweight person, it's important to maintain a high mount if you want to hold onto the position. Your knees should be practically inside their arm pits. Equally critical and often overlooked, is the squeeze. Just like when you squeeze your knees to isolate a limb before a submission, squeeze them inward toward each other to increase control and help to stay in a high mount. Never stop squeezing. Also remember Megalef's point, about head position. Lastly, always stay as low as possible.

This sort of squeezing is super important, can't believe I forgot to mention it.

Also, when you're not in a high mount, I'll often recommend that you maintain an underhook under their head. A lower mount is vulnerable to upa's and elbow escapes/shrimping. You can't really do either if your head is pulled off the ground.

jnp
12/16/2008 11:18am,
This sort of squeezing is super important, can't believe I forgot to mention it.

Also, when you're not in a high mount, I'll often recommend that you maintain an underhook under their head. A lower mount is vulnerable to upa's and elbow escapes/shrimping. You can't really do either if your head is pulled off the ground.
That's okay. I can't believe I forgot to mention scooping the head to take away their ability to upa.

Skillful
12/16/2008 11:39am,
In addition to the great advice already given, another thing I find helps is always attacking, so that the big guy is too busy trying to save his elbow or neck and worrying less about escaping the position.

Also, it may be easier said than done, but if you can put your weight on the floor rather than on your opponent, he will have a much harder time with the upa escape.

cyrijl
12/16/2008 1:21pm,
I am 155lbs and I can hold down a 240+lbs man in mount. It is not just the size but the skill level.

I have begun using a mount with one instep still in the inside of the leg/grin/hip.( A sort of butterfly from top.) I find this is usefull against people I know who are going to just try and throw me off of them. It allows me to move quickly to knee on belly or side control or just slide the foot out when I am getting ready to lock up a submission.

3moose1
12/16/2008 3:04pm,
Okay, maybe thirty pounds is a bit much. What i meant to say was, "i don't mount people when my knees barely touch the ground".

Omega Supreme
12/16/2008 4:14pm,
I do.

Kintanon
12/16/2008 4:34pm,
Okay, maybe thirty pounds is a bit much. What i meant to say was, "i don't mount people when my knees barely touch the ground".

Total *****. That's what Technical Mount is for....

UpaLumpa
12/16/2008 5:08pm,
We used to have this guy who was closer to 400 than 300. Your knees were quite a ways off the ground if you mounted, like a foot (and you were splayed and unable to exert any pressure anywhere). He also hung drywall and could literally throw people off of him.

Mounting him was a stupid idea but side and KOS killed him.

3moose1
12/16/2008 10:11pm,
We used to have this guy who was closer to 400 than 300. Your knees were quite a ways off the ground if you mounted, like a foot (and you were splayed and unable to exert any pressure anywhere). He also hung drywall and could literally throw people off of him

these are the guys i train with...

UpaLumpa
12/17/2008 3:12am,
You train with obese people regularly?
That's really kind of sick.

GoldenJonas
12/17/2008 1:55pm,
From mount I use the "surf theory" of transitioning.

Ideal - jnp's high mount, pull the head, stay low, and squeeze the **** out of their chest with your knees.

As counter-intuitive as it may sound the tighter you smother then the easier it is to transition and ride out an escape attempt; from here I ride them to either:

1) set-up the sub from mount;
2) transition to S-Mount;
3) ride to the back; or
4) choose the KOB or side control transitional option if all else fails.

You smother the person, but, DO NOT hug the head or even attempt the ill-fated Ezekiel from mount unless you know what you are doing.

Omega Supreme
12/17/2008 2:05pm,
From mount I use the "surf theory" of transitioning.

Ideal - jnp's high mount, pull the head, stay low, and squeeze the **** out of their chest with your knees.

As counter-intuitive as it may sound the tighter you smother then the easier it is to transition and ride out an escape attempt; from here I ride them to either:

1) set-up the sub from mount;
2) transition to S-Mount;
3) ride to the back; or
4) choose the KOB or side control transitional option if all else fails.

You smother the person, but, DO NOT hug the head or even attempt the ill-fated Ezekiel from mount unless you know what you are doing.

Fucker. I was just about to go into this.