PDA

View Full Version : Problem with the rubber guard and no-gi

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

M.C.
12/12/2008 10:00am,
I rather put this here than DHS and make jnp mad... ;)

Since I am back in Germany I have only been training No-gi (either during the MMA class or rolling with others after the MT classes) and playing with the rubber guard a lot lately. And run into a problem.
I get to mission control, zombie, new york (Edit: and from there to Chill dog, thanks Pointy for helping with the names and clearing this up for me) and can hang there for as long as I like. But every time I go for Kung-Fu move I lose the pressure (can't pinch my knees together tight anymore) and they jank their arm out. I never hat that problem with the gi, I guess because of the friction. I now just go for meat hook asylum or meat hook triangle but I want to get that move.
I asked my trainers and though they are solid(National Judo guy with sambo and wrestling background and the other one is 2 years with Andiconda in vale tudo/LL), they are not that familiar with the rubber guard.

Thanks in advance.

Kintanon
12/12/2008 10:09am,
Curl your fucking heel down onto their neck, squeeze tight on the overhook. Use your other leg to disrupt their base so that they can't use their legs to jerk out of the grip.
But mostly, if you don't have your leg curling down really hard on the back of their neck then you are giving them the option of slipping out.
Of course, if you have a tight overhook then when they try to jerk out they are just clearing their head so you can Omo.
Curl heel down, tight overhook. All there is to it.

PointyShinyBurn
12/12/2008 10:15am,
Swing your hips out as much as you can using your foot on their hip and stomp your top leg out like you're kicking something, driving their shoulder blade down and sending them face-first towards the mat. Let go of your ankle and switch to wrist control on their locked arm as soon as you're free to move, otherwise you're inhibiting the drive with the leg, which is what breaks their posture and stops them getting away.

M.C.
12/12/2008 10:16am,
Thanks, that is probably it, I usually let the heel dangle there so I can get KungFu easier... will try that on the weekend and report back.

PointyShinyBurn
12/12/2008 10:21am,
You do the Kung Fu from Chill Dog, by the way, after you've cleared the head. Not straight from New York like you seem to imply. Kintanon's advice is about maintaining Chill Dog, mine is about going to the Jiu Claw from there.

M.C.
12/12/2008 10:27am,
Hmm, all the name fuckery (just checked for chili dog, this is what I call NY :eusa_thin) Yeah I have both arms on the same sid and his head on the other and then when I let go to Kung fu is when I **** up.

PointyShinyBurn
12/12/2008 10:33am,
Hmm, all the name fuckery (just checked for chili dog, this is what I call NY :eusa_thin) Yeah I have both arms on the same sid and his head on the other and then when I let go to Kung fu is when I **** up.
Yeah, New York is when you've got one hand hands on the mat, an overhook on that arm and a grip on your ankle on the opposite side of his head.
New York:
http://static.flickr.com/85/246086443_150abfe5eb.jpg
Chill Dog:
http://static.flickr.com/89/246086631_cb22dd6374.jpg

M.C.
12/12/2008 10:37am,
Okay then I have chill dog and when I try go for Kung Fu from there they usually just jank the arm out or get their head out. I somehow lose all the pressure. :dontknow:

Also edited the OP, thanks for sorting this name thing out for me...

PointyShinyBurn
12/12/2008 10:42am,
Okay then I have chill dog and when I try go for Kung Fu from there they usually just jank the arm out or get their head out. I somehow lose all the pressure. :dontknow:

Also edited the OP, thanks for sorting this name thing out for me...
I posted above right after Kintanon about how to solve this....

M.C.
12/12/2008 10:47am,
Yeah I will try this, when I have a human grappling dummy around :new_bdays

Octofish
12/13/2008 10:23am,
Hey C4t5, what is the name of your coach that trains under Andyconda? I ask, because I also train at his school.

M.C.
12/13/2008 10:50am,
I just send you a PM...

M.C.
12/13/2008 10:58am,
Oh and I only tried it twice today (with a guy that is not that advanced, so I don't know if it will work against somebody "better") it worked. I will try it out tomorrow during the free training and see if somebody is around that will give me some trouble but so far it felt right (pushin the heel to the ground and kicking the leg out did the trick I think).

3moose1
12/13/2008 1:30pm,
Give up on rubber guard for a while. You'll thank me.

Kintanon
12/13/2008 1:32pm,
Don't be a hater Moose. You know you're just jealous of Eddie B's skizilz.

3moose1
12/13/2008 1:37pm,
Don't be a hater Moose. You know you're just jealous of Eddie B's skizilz.

Oh noes, i love rubber guard. I used to work it all the time. All the time. Until i tore my meniscus/acl from working it.

its a great system, but you shouldn't learn that over the basics. Even eddie agrees with this.