PDA

View Full Version : n00b girl

Pages : [1] 2 3

kudzu
12/09/2008 8:37pm,
Howdy, my name is Alexandra and I'm an insufferable n00b. I study Shorin Ryu karate at Wheeldon Karate School in Renton, Washington state five days a week. I only started in October of 2007, but I was too frightened to register for this forum at that time due to my ignorance. Now I'm still ignorant, but less frightened. My current obsession is working to increase my stamina and endurance so that I wouldn't pass out twenty seconds into a real fight.

TKDBot
12/09/2008 8:38pm,
Welcome aboard, kudzu! The Bullshido staff would welcome you personally, but the thing is they’re busy keeping the peace, so they’ve apointed me, a bot, to pat you on the back and assure you that in no way will you be harmed during your stay here at BS.net. Your views on the martial arts, your philosphy, maybe even your entire reason for being will be challenged, shattered, reorganized, melted down, and forged into something new and shiny, but we swear it will only hurt a little bit… at first.

HonkyTonkMan
12/09/2008 8:51pm,
well cum 2 thee four um.

M.C.
12/09/2008 9:06pm,
oldman giving out warm well cum? (I thought he wasn't able to do so anymore) Well then I guess I join in.

May I ask what you are hoping to find here at Bullshido? And would you elaborate on your training?

kudzu
12/09/2008 9:19pm,
May I ask what you are hoping to find here at Bullshido? And would you elaborate on your training?

Well, I've already been reading the forum for a while and just got sick of the restrictions upon not being registered, so I don't yet know how much I'll add to my experience by posting what I have to say. As for what I've been gaining already, karate has been my first attempt in my life at anything remotely athletic, so aside from what I learn in my dojo, I know little about fighting or fitness. I aim to change that by reading from athletes who may or may not be training towards the same goal of being able to hold his or her own in a fight.

As for my training, what would you like to know? I'm toying with the idea of posting a review of my school, but I have no points of comparison. I'll take a stab at a summary here and say:

Aliveness: 5
Equipment: 6
Gym Size: 4
Instructor/Student Ratio: 9
Atmosphere/Attitude: 8
Striking Instruction: 7
Grappling Instruction: 5
Weapons: 3

I'd like more sparring practice, so I'm planning on beginning to attend an open-spar at another school in my area. I'm jumping rope to increase my stamina. Giving consideration to the "couch to 5k" running plan to get some more aerobic exercise into my week.

M.C.
12/09/2008 9:29pm,
I would say you should check out the PT and Health forum if you havn't done it yet. People like Macho etc. have done a great deal of work there, brainfood for days.

You say you spar at your school, how does the sparing look like and how often you spar?

If you want to review your school, do so but make sure you read the stickies first, there you will get some "guidlines" on how to rate your school... It is interesting to see that you rate the striking instruction close to the grappling, you mind giving some more info on that?

PS: Good luck with building stamina, can be a pain in the ass to gas out quickly.

kudzu
12/09/2008 9:44pm,
I would say you should check out the PT and Health forum if you havn't done it yet. People like Macho etc. have done a great deal of work there, brainfood for days.

Thanks, I will.

You say you spar at your school, how does the sparing look like and how often you spar?

Not often enough, for my taste. Maybe once a month, if we're lucky. It is usually free spar wearing hand and foot protection until the Sensei says "yame." No injuries from sparring likely.

IIt is interesting to see that you rate the striking instruction close to the grappling, you mind giving some more info on that?

You're right, they should be farther apart. One Sensei seems to favour locking techniques that I would guess fit into "grappling," but I think much of that is saved for a higher belt rank than I am. I think I don't have much of a grasp on what grappling meant, so when I saw that number system and decided that I had had my arm twisted around while standing and while also on the floor, I gave it that high score.

M.C.
12/09/2008 9:53pm,
Not often enough, for my taste. Maybe once a month, if we're lucky. It is usually free spar wearing hand and foot protection until the Sensei says "yame." No injuries from sparring likely. You made the right choice by coming here if you are looking for (hard) sparing. Btw, are you allowed to go "full force" during sparring or are you expected to "pull back"?
And how do you know the sparing group you were talking about earlier, do they spar the same "rule set"/ using same safty equip or do they go harder?

You're right, they should be farther apart. One Sensei seems to favour locking techniques that I would guess fit into "grappling," but I think much of that is saved for a higher belt rank than I am. I think I don't have much of a grasp on what grappling meant, so when I saw that number system and decided that I had had my arm twisted around while standing and while also on the floor, I gave it that high score.Are those drills complient or do you resist? Is it mainly small joint manipulation (finger/wrist locks) or arm/leg locks? Also do you drill take downs (throws trips etc. )?

jnp
12/09/2008 10:49pm,
Welcome to the forum kudzu.

You are free to ignore or answer the questions posed to you here on Newbietown.

Super Dave
12/09/2008 10:49pm,
Welcome.

kudzu
12/09/2008 11:30pm,
You made the right choice by coming here if you are looking for (hard) sparing. Btw, are you allowed to go "full force" during sparring or are you expected to "pull back"?

Full force, but we're wearing hand and foot pads, and we're not supposed to go for the face or strike with elbows or knees in sparring.

And how do you know the sparing group you were talking about earlier, do they spar the same "rule set"/ using same safty equip or do they go harder?

My schedule won't allow me to attend until January to see what's going on over there, but their web-site says they require hand pads and mouth guards are recommended. They open their sparring up to all styles, so I'm eager to find out what kind of hits I can take, really.

Are those drills complient or do you resist? Is it mainly small joint manipulation (finger/wrist locks) or arm/leg locks? Also do you drill take downs (throws trips etc. )?

I'm going to say small joint manipulation mostly, and without resistance or helping. The locks bring down to the floor, but not with what I'd consider to be sufficient force to be a throw.

Kentucky Fried Chokin
12/09/2008 11:32pm,
HELL YEAH!!! EASTSIDE REPRESENT!!!!!!!!! *incomprihensible gangsigns*

I'm right over in Bellevue myself. There are several bullies in our area that can recommend other schools if you want more sparring. Welcome.

Matt Phillips
12/09/2008 11:45pm,
Ditto, welcome.

kudzu
12/09/2008 11:45pm,
HELL YEAH!!! EASTSIDE REPRESENT!!!!!!!!! *incomprihensible gangsigns*

I'm right over in Bellevue myself. There are several bullies in our area that can recommend other schools if you want more sparring. Welcome.

Haha! Hey, rad! I really do enjoy my school for technique training, but if there are any other schools in the area that would allow me to stop by regularly and get my ass kicked in some kind of scheduled open sparring for more experience, I would love that! Let me know if you know of any or if you can direct me to anyone who would know. I don't want to post inappropriately.

Kentucky Fried Chokin
12/09/2008 11:49pm,
The MMA gym is sometimes train/work at 'West Coast Fitness' would probably let you come in and spar on saturay mornings. But for karate sparring, you have to PM Ryno (which you can't because you don't have enough posts yet). Or just create a thread in the 'Throwdown' forum to ask if there's are where you can go to spar.

Matt Phillips
12/09/2008 11:50pm,
Haha! Hey, rad! I really do enjoy my school for technique training, but if there are any other schools in the area that would allow me to stop by regularly and get my ass kicked in some kind of scheduled open sparring for more experience, I would love that! Let me know if you know of any or if you can direct me to anyone who would know. I don't want to post inappropriately.

If you get bored, seek out http://www.mmawizard.com/amc/Welcome.htm