PDA

View Full Version : cuttin weight

jstringfellow
12/09/2008 1:03pm,
hey, i am new to the world of mma, so please excuse any dumb questions.
I need to cut 20lbs by jan. 30th. i know i have enough time, but i have never had to cut weight before so i was hoping that i could get your advice on what workouts would be best for cutting the weight...............and how long should someboby train before they have there first mma fight?

GhostOfKimura
12/09/2008 1:04pm,
Welcome to Bullshido, the best Martial Arts forum on the entire Internet, jstringfellow. Seriously, you won't regret your choice to join us. We're a great bunch of folks, except for Hannibal. And Sirc. And TaiGip. And MMA Kid. And... well, you get the point.

BoonDog
12/09/2008 2:02pm,
Use the search function and see if there are already any threads related to weight loss. Also, why do you need to lose the weight?

jstringfellow
12/09/2008 2:13pm,
well...i tring to get a fight with ringrulers....i am 225 now and i dont want to fight as a heavyweight so im gonna cut down to 205.....if they let me fight the fights will be on Jan30th.....but even if they dont let me fight i still want to cut down to 185 eventually

KO'd N DOA
12/09/2008 2:17pm,
Hi Jstringfellow,

Welcome to Bullshido. (Isn't it nice to start over again, listen to advice)

So your cutting weight has nothing to do with your other thread, as you are starting over.
As you have time, you do not want to cut water at this point. Train hard and reduce the grains, make sure you drink lots of water to stave off hunger.

Unfortunately it is feast season. Good luck!

jstringfellow
12/10/2008 9:07am,
thank you ....and yes i am starting over....is there any specific workouts that will help me shoot for the takedown faster?

jheers11
12/10/2008 9:55am,
heres a site: http://www.grapplearts.com/How-to-Cut-Weight.html?c=150&a=4147

Check it out on sume cuttin weight tips. Basically just Get your diet right NOW. and Breads are ur worst enemy. If u have to eat bread then make it wheat bread. I say do high rep athletic type weight conditioning. CHeck this site out for some workouts and ignore the 8-12 reps- go for a weight where your max reps is like 20-25. Heres the site: http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=workout.plans&conitem=0d5a99edbbbd201099edbbbd2010cfe793cd____

Or maybe this workout:
http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=cardio.activities&conitem=77c554773b401110VgnVCM10000013281eac____

Make sure when your lifting weights your doing like 2 workouts at once. Like the squat thrust to military press. Or lunges with hammer curls. High reps of these will get your heart pumping as well as pumping them arms and legs. And burning that fat too.

By doing these workouts and maybe a couple others, along with muay thai and jiu jistsu and running on the treadmill, I got my body fat percentage down very low in no time. I think you can do it. Just watch your foods. Its gonna suck but dont eat fast food. Eat lean proteins like peanuts, fish, chicken, turkey burgers with no bread etc, and vegatbles and fruit. Oatmeal or hard boiled eggs for breakfast. I got my wife to lose weight like this too. It sucks but I beleive it works.

jstringfellow
12/10/2008 12:57pm,
jheers11........thanks

Matt Phillips
12/10/2008 1:04pm,
Oatmeal or hard boiled eggs for breakfast.

Isn't oatmeal just a bowl full of mushy bread-like stuff? Seriously.

TheRuss
12/10/2008 2:13pm,
Conventional wisdom is that oats digest more slowly (the larger the flake, the slower) and thus have a smoother, more gradual influence on blood sugar = less hunger.

Matt Phillips
12/10/2008 2:42pm,
So lower Glycemic index...

TheRuss
12/10/2008 2:46pm,
Yeah. Not sure if that's borne out by any of the big surveys of glycemic index kicking around, but to be fair, they basically all suck.

Matt Phillips
12/10/2008 2:48pm,
Weird. How hard is it to do a blood glucose reading?

Snake Plissken
12/10/2008 2:52pm,
Since this is in Newbietown, I cannot be a prick, so......

get the over to the Physical Training, Diet and Health/ Fitness Forum:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23

and read the stickies.

Then compose up a GOOD opening thread detailing the following:

weight
BMI
Suspected Body Fat %

really the information is academic, but it helps to know if you are a 225ld guy cut from stone or a lump of ****.

Then post up what your training schedule is:
what you do
how long you do it
how often you do it

Then post up an "average" menu for the day:
what you eat
how much of it
how often
guesstimate your daily calories

Then post up what you want:

*warning* be honest as many of us already know about the "karate challange match" and it will actually help to know where you are and where you need to be.

Now, if you have a fat-belly, cutting this weight is different then needing to tone down from big muscley arms to more ropey ones.

You will get your best advice for this in the PT forum and good luck.

EDIT:

the more USEFUL information the better.

about you, not the karate master you are fighting or the details of the match.

If you have a physically demanding job or if you sit in a cubicle.....
If you are prone to grabbing a microwave chili dog at the 7-11 or if you are dedicated enough to pack up a GOOD lunch the night before.....
If you cannot stay away from Zingers or if you cannot get enough vegetables.....
If you take your vitamins and supplements religiously or if you think "Cake" is a food group.
If you lift daily or think Wii Fit is a training regimen.

Write up a GOOD solid intro post about your present condition and what your needs are.

TheRuss
12/10/2008 3:07pm,
Weird. How hard is it to do a blood glucose reading?

There's a bit more to it than that. Gastric dumping rate has a lot of variables to take into account.

E-Van
12/10/2008 3:09pm,
Gastric dumping rate .

This is exactly what I wanted to read about on my lunch.