PDA

View Full Version : The black blet has lost all meaning.

Pages : [1] 2 3

henry316
11/25/2008 10:27pm,
I currently train in two dojos (both TKD) and I agree, the black blet has lost all meaning. The original club I go to, A, i've trained at for 5 years. We train long and we train hard and since we are a small middle-of-nowhere club, no affiliation either so my rank won't be '"recognised". I went to my second club (2 years training there now and an internationally affiliated club) purely because of my work and can't make as many classes to my original dojo and this is the ONLY club other club in my area.

It is a joke. I'm supposedly "entitled" for my black belt test in club B in December this year. I've only been there for two freaking years!!! In my original club, I'd be lucky if I can grade for my 1st kyu within the next 2 years!!! (im currently 2nd kyu in my original club)

The differences in both expectations and skill levels required from both clubs astound me. For my two cents worth, I am more happy to get my 1st kyu or my 1st dan black belt (if I ever have the privilige) from my original club and knowing that I have earned it with my blood sweat and tears rather than receiving a 9thdan in my B club with a big fat cheque

Matt Phillips
11/25/2008 10:40pm,
Beware of Necromancy (reviving old threads). People will complain. Also, this particular forum has very strict rules (read 'em first). Go to Newbietown and post an introduction. Much of this information would be good stuff in an intro thread.

Welcome henry316

mrm1775
11/26/2008 12:30am,
Four years, seven months, and six days. Is that a record?

Maiden_Ante
11/26/2008 3:01am,
Holy flonk. Those examples are retarded as hell. Black belt after TWO YEARS? Gee, I guess some places really mess up MAs. At my dojo, there is a 5 year training requirement before trying to take 1 dan.

Matt Phillips
11/26/2008 9:30am,
Four years, seven months, and six days. Is that a record?
No, unfortunately I hold the record for that : Six years, two months, sixteen days.
http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1968094#post1968094

Vieux Normand
11/26/2008 9:38am,
AddToNecro: In answer to the thread title--no, I don't. Shodan--in many Japanese dojos at any rate--was the second belt you'd get after white. It'd take some years, of course, but it meant that you had started to get a handle on the basics (which you needed to practise no matter what Dan you reached), and could hold your own in a fight. It did NOT confer "mastery" of any kind. At most, it meant that you had started to become an adept. How the **** Shodan got all meaning-inflated in the west is another sad, sad tale.

EDIT: How did this thread end up in MABS?

jj77
11/26/2008 2:34pm,
Black belts these days are dime a dozen. Too many Mcdojos with belt factories handing belts out. In this current age of I want things NOW, a lot of belts given without being earned not like in the old days when the old masters put students through intense training which took years just to go from one belt to another.
Although in defense of some of our dojos, even if the instructors are from the old school, they have to tone down their intensity levels because they don't want to lose their customers either. The matter of economics applies now to many schools. There are so many schools that are competing so they are having to cater to the public instead of standing firm in their commitments to proper teaching of their arts.
I have seen this first hand and I'm sure many of the posters here have as well especially those that have kids doing martial arts. Many parents want their kids to have the BB but don't want their kids to have to earn their belt much less put in the time and effort really required to earn that belt. Adult classes may be different but still toned down to meet the public expectations. I applaud those instructors who stick to their commitments and not try and cater to the public...

Rivington
11/26/2008 2:46pm,
Well, since this thread is ancient and already well-shitted up, I can only add:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/marvel_dc/images/b/bb/Judomaster_I_1.jpg

Remember those crimson and gold tights judoka used to wear with their black belts?

cuatro76
11/26/2008 9:12pm,
^^^
That would sooooo clash with my handlebar mustache and wrestling jacket.

Jeff C.
11/28/2008 8:52am,
AddToNecro: In answer to the thread title--no, I don't. Shodan--in many Japanese dojos at any rate--was the second belt you'd get after white. It'd take some years, of course, but it meant that you had started to get a handle on the basics (which you needed to practise no matter what Dan you reached), and could hold your own in a fight. It did NOT confer "mastery" of any kind. At most, it meant that you had started to become an adept. How the **** Shodan got all meaning-inflated in the west is another sad, sad tale.

EDIT: How did this thread end up in MABS?

This is right on the money and, if people researched history and took it to heart, it would have avoided a four-years-running thread with all of this whiny hand-wringing about a belt which originally, when invented, did not hold THAT much significance.

Most of the attitudes expressed here are a product of the environment that you all criticize. If you all did not place so much importance in a belt that means you JUST NOW have *somewhat* of a grasp on the basics, and are now *finally* ready to learn - this discussion would not even be taking place.

Look into how fast the Japanese originally handed out black belts back in the days it was first used. You will be surprised how fast they were awarded, in many cases.

Jeff Cook

DerAuslander
11/28/2008 9:56am,
1) Someone report the OP to get this abomination moved out of MABS.

2) The answer is in the title. The problem is not with martial arts, with standards, or the public's perception.

It's within you.

Aaron Fields
11/28/2008 8:33pm,
Jeff is spot on.

In addition, they have never meant anything outside their own context. They are not "cross-over" items.

Aaron Fields

2003volusia
11/28/2008 10:25pm,
belt color means nothing. All that matters is how much EFFORT YOU put into your training. That's it.

NuclearFist
11/28/2008 10:57pm,
Tell me again about this Black Blet you speak of.

Is this the N3W D34DLY?

foxguitar
11/29/2008 11:47am,
You can say what you want , I dont know about anybody else , but I put my heart , soul and blood and alot of hard knocks to earn my belt , So my Black belt means something to me.

To each their own if it dont mean anything to you , thats cools and I realize there are belt factories out there and McDojos . but to those of us who sweated and put in the prequisite hard effort , That Belt means a helluva lot to me.

While its not the end of the journey its actually the beginning of the Journey.

Just My 2cents

3moose1
11/29/2008 1:27pm,
Indeed, i find all blets are useless.