PDA

View Full Version : Kickboxing - Grades?

Pages : [1] 2 3

honesty
11/26/2008 6:48am,
So, I've just found out my gym has 3 kickboxing classes a week. I initially thought these were the usual cardio kickboxing class, but inquired about them anyway. I was assured by the gym manager that the classes are taught by a kickboxing professional, they spar, and some of the even enter tournaments, and also "the group works towards belts, gradings..."

Now, having not does kickboxing before, I don't know, but belts? Gradings? Are these things normal?

Asriel
11/26/2008 7:07am,
Its fairly normal in the uk for kb schools to have a grade system. I wouldn't let that automatically put you off. If they spar at a decent contact level and have a fight team, I'd say its definitely worth a look.

honesty
11/26/2008 7:13am,
Yeh that's what I was thinking, plus I'm pretty sure it's included in my gym membership anyway. Will have to go to a class and see what it's like.

Being in Taunton though I'm just hoping its not ran by this moron: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=76029&highlight=kicksport

PointyShinyBurn
11/26/2008 7:13am,
What's the organisation? There's a lot of aikido-knife-disarming, semi-contact stuff calling itself 'kickboxing' in the UK.

honesty
11/26/2008 7:15am,
Dunno, I've queried with the gym and I'm waiting for the name of the instructor.

honesty
11/26/2008 7:23am,
Instructor is a guy called Mark Monk, who seems to have been an European silver medallist in 2005 and also competed at the WKA world championships.

Interestingly he seems to be calling what he does Korean Kickboxing (some old info here:http://groups.msn.com/KoreanKickboxingTaunton ). So whats that, TKD?

honesty
11/26/2008 7:54am,
Foudn his silver, was in "Men Continuous Advanced -80kg" under WUMA. Never heard of this fed. but then again I dont know kickboxing federations...

PointyShinyBurn
11/26/2008 7:56am,
Instructor is a guy called Mark Monk, who seems to have been an European silver medallist in 2005 and also competed at the WKA world championships.
WKA competitions range from point-fighting to full thai rules. Can't seem to Google up which one(s) he fought in. Best to go along to his class and ask. Also, see if they hit each other.

Edit: Just saw your last

Foudn his silver, was in "Men Continuous Advanced -80kg" under WUMA. Never heard of this fed. but then again I dont know kickboxing federations...
Hit-too-hard-and-get-DQd point fighting. It's certainly possible the guy can scrap anyway, though.

The tournaments seem to be open rather than in-house things at least:
http://www.wuma.uk.com/Tournaments/Boss2008/BOSrules2008.htm

His medal is on here:
http://www.wuma.uk.com/Tournaments/EuropeanStuff/EuropeanResult2005.html

Eddie Hardon
11/26/2008 8:44am,
For a comparison, you might want to check with the Paragon gym/system, anyway, it's run by John Lawson and his brothers Alex and Stuart, if memory serves. A colleague of mine (2nd Dan Trad JJ and BJJ Blue) trained with them and was highly complimentary. They have a structured syllabus and this will give you a good steer.

Sorry for lack of link but you'll probably get it with Google.co.uk.

Cheers

Matt Phillips
11/26/2008 8:46am,
John lewis has a black belt in some kind of MT w/belts system. I forget the name.

Marky Monk was in the Fonky Bunch, right.

P.S. I'm still waiting for Goodwill Hunting II: Six Quarks For Marky Mark

Torakaka
11/26/2008 11:34am,
Not a technique thread.

Matt Phillips
11/26/2008 11:45am,
Not a technique thread.

Can you explain why you made this comment. I don't see the problem, and I'm trying to learn when things are misplaced.

Lebell
11/26/2008 11:52am,
i took a BB test in teh UK once.
as far as i know we dont have it overhere.

Rene "Zendokan" Gysenbergs
11/26/2008 12:23pm,
Is it
Kun Gek Do/Gwon-gyokdo = Korean Muay Thai
or
Kyuk Too Ki = Korean Kickboxing?

A minority of MT or Kickboxing schools use colored sashes to indicate level, but this is an internal club system. There aren't national standards for colored sashes.

Also a minority of Korean based MT and KB clubs uses the sash system.

KTK and KGD are like Sanda: started as a ruleset for competition between participants of different styles, but also get trained nowadays as an independant style.

Lebell
11/26/2008 12:31pm,
Is it
Kun Gek Do/Gwon-gyokdo = Korean Muay Thai
or
Kyuk Too Ki = Korean Kickboxing?

Oh i don't know about that.
I'll describe it, maybe you then know what it was.

So i went in a padded room in some school with some 10 guys and started to kick and punch them, and they punched and kicked me.
Also did the most horrible submission fight of my life.
(don't ask)

Torakaka
11/26/2008 12:43pm,
Can you explain why you made this comment. I don't see the problem, and I'm trying to learn when things are misplaced.

The thread was posted in strikeistan, a forum for technical striking discussion. This thread is not a technical discussion, thus it was moved.