PDA

View Full Version : New Member

monkeysuncle
11/24/2008 10:49pm,
Hello all, figured I'd introduce myself. Name is Brad. I am a noob to this forum for sure, though I've been on some other ones and do my best not to be a douche on forum sites. I currently have next to zero experience in the popular martial arts of this forum (BJJ, Judo, Sambo, Boxing, Thai Boxing) but understand generally what each of them entails. And, I get the fact that they are far superior to the load of "martial" crap out there. I do have martial arts experience, but I'm not going to list it - it was from a McDojo, and as such was useless. (Boy did I have fun elbowing those plastic re-breakables though!) Hopefully I can start at a local gym offering MMA classes soon (they have separate instructors for Muay Thai and BJJ). Admittedly I am a high school senior, so bring on the age jokes. That's all I have for now, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

GhostOfKimura
11/24/2008 10:50pm,
In spite of what some other web-sites would have you believe, we here at Bullshido.net welcome you, monkeysuncle, with open arms and hope that you will share with us your unique experiences and ideas on the martial arts.... so that we may then make fun of those experiences and ideas.

BackFistMonkey
11/24/2008 11:00pm,
Hello all, figured I'd introduce myself. Name is Brad. I am a noob to this forum for sure, though I've been on some other ones and do my best not to be a douche on forum sites. I currently have next to zero experience in the popular martial arts of this forum (BJJ, Judo, Sambo, Boxing, Thai Boxing) but understand generally what each of them entails. And, I get the fact that they are far superior to the load of "martial" crap out there. I do have martial arts experience, but I'm not going to list it - it was from a McDojo, and as such was useless. (Boy did I have fun elbowing those plastic re-breakables though!) Hopefully I can start at a local gym offering MMA classes soon (they have separate instructors for Muay Thai and BJJ). Admittedly I am a high school senior, so bring on the age jokes. That's all I have for now, feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Welcome to Bullshido monkeysuncle .

Don't sweat what we think of your past art , even a crappy McDojo may have imparted something positive in you . You will not know until you are in an art with good training methods , so jump on in to the MMA or BJJ or MT . Sink or swim you will live and if you stick with it you will learn , no matter what good or bad habits or mind sets your previous art imparted .

Board breaking is fun , but I think you will find alive training more addictive and fulfilling .

TheRuss
11/24/2008 11:05pm,
Hi, Brad. Welcome to Bullshido. The easiest way to get a feel for things here is to read lots and post sparingly.

monkeysuncle
11/24/2008 11:10pm,
I don't want to leave the impression that I have had no exposure to alive or MMA training. I said, "next to zero" not zero. It's just that it was so brief there was no real skill gained, but I did experience it through a few boxing and wrestling lessons. The past McDojo art was *drumroll*...... ATA Taekwondo. I got a first degree black belt. Yippee! The part I don't mention when I'm trying to impress the ladies with is that it was in fourth grade. But hey, it did make me more confident. That could be viewed as sarcasm, but I honestly was a shy kid back then and it gave me a positive environment, even if it didn't teach me to fight, so it wasn't all bad. However, I definitely know what NOT to look for now that I have a wee bit more maturity and pain tolerance under my belt. Outside spinning crescent kicks? No thank you sir.