PDA

View Full Version : Switching between striking arts

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

speedycerviche
11/24/2008 10:08am,
What do you think about doing two martial arts styles, one that fights left foot forward eg: muay thai, and one that fights right foot forward eg: choy lee fut? This is so that when your left foot is forward you fight using muay thai and when your right foot is forward you use choy lee fut. Seeing as you would spar in both using tatics and techniques from the stance that they use, and thus would know how to apply the techniques when you're fighting. You could change stance after a knee or kick and start using the other style. This should confuse the opponent and let you perhaps get a few strikes in. Those are my thoughts. Is there anyone who has done this before and been successful?

It is Fake
11/24/2008 10:10am,
What do you think about doing two martial arts styles, one that fights left foot forward eg: muay thai, and one that fights right foot forward eg: choy lee fut? This is so that when your left foot is forward you fight using muay thai and when your right foot is forward you use choy lee fut. Seeing as you would spar in both using tatics and techniques from the stance that they use, and thus would know how to apply the techniques when you're fighting. You could change stance after a knee or kick and start using the other style. This should confuse the opponent and let you perhaps get a few strikes in. Those are my thoughts. Is there anyone who has done this before and been successful?
How about you switch your style field to what you train, not what you want to train.

Left foot forward or right foot forward doesn't denote what style you train.

:spam4:

Lu Tze
11/24/2008 10:12am,
All kinds of strikers switch stances, why does it necessitate training in an entirely different style!?

If it were that easy to do though, everyone would do it.

sochin101
11/24/2008 10:15am,
What do you think about doing two martial arts styles, one that fights left foot forward eg: muay thai, and one that fights right foot forward eg: choy lee fut? This is so that when your left foot is forward you fight using muay thai and when your right foot is forward you use choy lee fut. Seeing as you would spar in both using tatics and techniques from the stance that they use, and thus would know how to apply the techniques when you're fighting. You could change stance after a knee or kick and start using the other style. This should confuse the opponent and let you perhaps get a few strikes in. Those are my thoughts. Is there anyone who has done this before and been successful? Or you could train to be proficient in one art, but from either stance.

That sounds like a better investment in time, money and effort to me.

Unless you particularly wanted to learn a martial art that sounds like an actor from Hard Boiled...

EDITUS COCKRINGUS: Lu Tze beat me to it... Yorkshire FTW!

Matt Phillips
11/24/2008 10:23am,
I started (adult) boxing in a JKD gym, so I box southpaw. When I started San Shou and MT I just kept the stance, although I later learned th fight from a left lead stance. If you want to do both arts, use one lead for both styles.

P.S. Don't get caught up in trying to 'confuse' your opponent. Your opponent is *smart*. If you assume otherwise, you're going to get hurt.

speedycerviche
11/24/2008 10:25am,
Thanks for your replys.

It is not however spam and i am sorry if it sounded like it i just had this idea today and wanted some feed back I do train in all the styles in my style field (although KK not at the moment) I can PM you pictures and results from comps if you dont beleive me (if thats a problem) and i train at 3 different gyms to train in my different styles.

rocketsurgeon
11/24/2008 10:47am,
This assumes that your opponent will even notice, and think "Oh noes, this thai boxer knows kung fu!" You might be overestimating their education or ability to think under adrenaline.

If you have managed to convince somebody that you'll be using "typical" thai techniques, wouldn't it be better to throw in something in a sneaky manner?

BTW your stock just went up for offering pics and credentials. Don't blow it if somebody calls.

Permalost
11/24/2008 10:57am,
I've been doing choy li fut for years, and I was never taught to adopt a right lead. In FMA definitely, because you want to lead with your weapon generally.

speedycerviche
11/24/2008 11:53am,
Thanks for the advice.

"Or you could train to be proficient in one art, but from either stance."

Would a Muay Thai or Choy Lee Fut school do that(or even let you do that)? I have never trained Choy Lee Fut but in the Muay Thai classes i went to they only ever attacked from a orthodox stance switching only for kicks and knees.

"All kinds of strikers switch stances, why does it necessitate training in an entirely different style!?"

I thought one of the main reason why strikers switched stances was to throw the other fighters distance and timing off? So i thought it may screw their distance and timing up even more if you not only switched stance but also changes the way in which you attack and defend.

"If you have managed to convince somebody that you'll be using "typical" thai techniques, wouldn't it be better to throw in something in a sneaky manner?"

More the likely, but i was meaning to flow from style to style like throw a Muay Thai combo land with other foot foward and start Throwing some Choy Lee Fut combos and keep switching.

"I've been doing choy li fut for years, and I was never taught to adopt a right lead. In FMA definitely, because you want to lead with your weapon generally."

Sorry never having done Choy Lee Fut I didnt know but from what i was told by one of my friends who praticed it they stand predominately southpaw and also the videos i have seen they stand southpaw so i just assumed.

Matt Phillips
11/24/2008 12:01pm,
Thanks for the advice.

"Or you could train to be proficient in one art, but from either stance."

Would a Muay Thai or Choy Lee Fut school do that(or even let you do that)? I have never trained Choy Lee Fut but in the Muay Thai classes i went to they only ever attacked from a orthodox stance switching only for kicks and knees.

Just tell them you're a lefty. It works for me.

As far as CLF being a strong-side-forward style: I don't know that much about it. You might be thinking of JKD, specifically Jun Fan Kickboxing (aka original JKD). This is a notorious right lead style. JKD makes Choy La Fut swing, American!

Lu Tze
11/24/2008 12:15pm,
I thought one of the main reason why strikers switched stances was to throw the other fighters distance and timing off?Yeah, unfortunately the average newbie isn't Anderson Silva. It's likely the only person's distance and timing you'll be throwing off is your own.

Like I said, if it were easy then everyone would do it. There's a possibility you can, there's a 99% probability that you can't though.
So i thought it may screw their distance and timing up even more if you not only switched stance but also changes the way in which you attack and defend.How about you stop looking for gimmicks and actually train like your coach knows what the **** he's talking about? If the techniques worked within the context of muay thai, then it's highly likely that they're already in there. Such is the nature of combat sports.

Lebell
11/24/2008 1:25pm,
CLF forms give me nightmares.
When i see someone do a CLF form i suddenly start crying.
Go with muay thai.

Matt Phillips
11/24/2008 2:10pm,
Yeah, unfortunately the average newbie isn't Anderson Silva. It's likely the only person's distance and timing you'll be throwing off is your own.

Like I said, if it were easy then everyone would do it. There's a possibility you can, there's a 99% probability that you can't though.How about you stop looking for gimmicks and actually train like your coach knows what the **** he's talking about? If the techniques worked within the context of muay thai, then it's highly likely that they're already in there. Such is the nature of combat sports.

Agreed. Knowing how to fight from the other lead is usefull if you happen to end up there by accident. This can happen pretty easily if you put your foot straight down after landind a rear leg roundhouse. If you really want to try throwing the guy off w/o confusing youself, just switch leads for an entire round. You might gain a small advantage without worrying about switching back and forth under pressure.

DunkelAnanas
11/24/2008 2:21pm,

If you really want to confuse your opponent, try shitting yourself and then raving like a lunatic. Trust me, no one will come near you after you use this technique. Not even your own family.

speedycerviche
11/24/2008 2:32pm,
"If the techniques worked within the context of muay thai, then it's highly likely that they're already in there. Such is the nature of combat sports."

Throws and takedowns work in the context of BJJ yet that doesn't mean that you will learn them to the stanard of Judo or Wrestling. Just because something works in a certain rule set doesn't mean it will praticed by people who follow that rule set or do it to a standard of another group that puts more emphasis on it eg: the spinning hook kick works well in the context of Muay Thai but how often does an average Muay Thai school pratice that technique compared to an average Kyokushin school?

"How about you stop looking for gimmicks and actually train like your coach knows what the **** he's talking about?"

I was not looking for a gimmick I was merely asking a question about something that seemed like it may work. Also I DO train like my coach knows his stuff, because he does.

It is Fake
11/24/2008 2:37pm,
The question, everyone is dancing around is, how long you have trained your arts?