PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

SamuraiJudo
11/20/2008 5:08am,
Hello, i'm making this post because, well, I have to.

I just recently got my yellow belt in Judo after a few weeks of training. I did alright except for my left throws were a bit crappy, especially for tai otoshi and my ippon seio nage was pretty crap despite it being my favourite throw.

I'm 16, almost 17 and i'm a pretty big bloke for my age, 6'2, 95kg.

I've trained in a few different styles:

-got to yellow belt in TKD when i was 10 and got bored with all the fitness training.

-trained in kickboxing for 6 weeks because i paid for the whole 6 weeks even though the instructor was an asshole.

-recently trained in wing chun for a few months before it was becoming untenable to travel the 30-45 minutes each way every couple of days.

-went to a Krotty dojo at a local gym once and never returned. They ask for $10 each lesson and teach you absolutely nothing and i mean nothing.

-Training in Judo currently and loving it because i'm actually learning stuff, getting fit and can throw other yellow belts and white belts around in randori, anyone above yellow can still kick my ass.

TKDBot
11/20/2008 5:09am,
We knew you could do it! SamuraiJudo posted, YAY! And if a bot is this rude, just imagine harsh this is gonna be. Hope you're wearing a thick gi.

danniboi07
11/20/2008 12:05pm,
Welcome buddy.

Hope you continue to enjoy Judo, despite your big mouth buddy.

Feel free to lurk around a bit and get used to the assholes on this website. I read your other thread and I'm sure you already got a good taste of what goes down here.

Also you can check out Judoinfo (http://www.judoinfo.com) and JudoForum (http://www.judoforum.com) for strict Judo talk.

SamuraiJudo
11/21/2008 8:13am,
Welcome buddy.

Hope you continue to enjoy Judo, despite your big mouth buddy.

Feel free to lurk around a bit and get used to the assholes on this website. I read your other thread and I'm sure you already got a good taste of what goes down here.

Also you can check out Judoinfo (http://www.judoinfo.com) and JudoForum (http://www.judoforum.com) for strict Judo talk.

Yeah I knew that was going to happen when I posted my first thread. I've been lurking for sometime so I sort of understand what goes on here. But where's the fun in staying quiet?

threetoe
11/21/2008 11:28am,
Welcome to Bullshido.

Don't worry about your seio nage being crap at this point. Though it is not a bad idea to try and get real good at one throw or another, it's still kind of early for you to have a favorite throw. I find it hard to transition to the ippon seio nage (basically I feel uncomfortable letting go with my power hand) and even if I'm in the position for it, I'll usually try for morote seio nage or some form of goshi.

Happy training!

KO'd N DOA
11/21/2008 11:37am,
Welcome to Bullshido,

Which Yellow belt, TKD or Judo do you think you earned more? Not trolling, just when I had all sorts of belts laying about the house, I would think of the effort required for each and compare.

My Orange Ju Jitsu was way harder than my Orange TKD. Yellows were the about the same, but I was not in shape yet.

SamuraiJudo
11/21/2008 7:43pm,
Welcome to Bullshido.

Don't worry about your seio nage being crap at this point. Though it is not a bad idea to try and get real good at one throw or another, it's still kind of early for you to have a favorite throw. I find it hard to transition to the ippon seio nage (basically I feel uncomfortable letting go with my power hand) and even if I'm in the position for it, I'll usually try for morote seio nage or some form of goshi.

Happy training! Even though I'm only a beginner O goshi or uki goshi has got to be my favourite, although I haven't been able to make uki goshi work in randori yet. It used to be O soto gari until i had to do randori and they would easily counter by pressing into me, pushing me off balance, and hooking my leg back.

I can't get morote seio nage as i'm not flexible enough yet and I don't have enough wrist power, as when i spin around it feels like i'm cramping the right side of my back and my wrist goes back instead of keeping it forward.

SamuraiJudo
11/21/2008 7:52pm,
Welcome to Bullshido,

Which Yellow belt, TKD or Judo do you think you earned more? Not trolling, just when I had all sorts of belts laying about the house, I would think of the effort required for each and compare.

My Orange Ju Jitsu was way harder than my Orange TKD. Yellows were the about the same, but I was not in shape yet.

Hey, it's good to be here.

Definately Judo, TKD was a bit easy as all I had to do was a bit of punching and kicking with another 200 people or so at the same time, and some grandmaster who wasn't really paying attention says "Alright everybody passes to yellow belt". I gave up soon after that.

Where in Judo I had to have some actual skill, 4 throws, 2 hold downs, 1 turnover, 1 move past the legs, 1 strangle and an armbar.

Also in the short amount of time I spent at TKD I was gaining weight, I was already an overweight kid and the kilos just kept coming. But now I exercise nearly every night excluding the nights I go to Judo which I see as the best form of exercise for me, I'm now only a slightly chubby teen after 7 weeks.