PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else have young kids in training?

Matt Phillips
11/18/2008 10:15am,
It would be cool to know how you are approaching their training, and maybe get a sense of where the other families are located.

hegs
11/18/2008 10:23am,
Son 5, daughter 9 both in Isshin-Ryu Karate. The boy has expressed an interest in BJJ and I will accommodate him when he is 6 as that is the mimimum age requirement of the local club. My daughter thinks she wants to move into kickboxing. While they enjoy their current training, we're all a little tired of katas.

Matt Phillips
11/18/2008 10:38am,
Son 5, daughter 9 both in Isshin-Ryu Karate. The boy has expressed an interest in BJJ and I will accommodate him when he is 6 as that is the mimimum age requirement of the local club. My daughter thinks she wants to move into kickboxing. While they enjoy their current training, we're all a little tired of katas.

Do you roll with your son? I started doing a little BJJ positioning with mine when he was around 4, and even with my (sub-blue belt level) skills, it gave him a great base. It gets 'in their bones' at that age.

hegs
11/18/2008 10:44am,
Roll with the whole family. Like you, just basic positioning. He got interested by watching me roll in class. He also witnessed a brutal sub (on me) at NAGA that I thought would send him running, but it only got him more interested. He also watches some of my training videos with me.

Southpaw
11/18/2008 10:50am,
My son is 5 and trains bjj. He loves it. We roll together all of the time. He is looking forward to doing MMA when he is 13 as he enjoys punching and kicking me.

He has a wicked RNC.

anza
11/18/2008 1:38pm,
My son will be 7 in a couple of months. He's training in BJJ and Muay Thai, and I do roll with him at home. I first got him started in Karate to get him interested, and get used to learning in a class environment. We just moved to Austin, and I have a heavybag to hang up this evening :)

DdlR
11/18/2008 3:20pm,
My son is 20 and he started training sometime around the age of 5. Just wrestling games etc. that gradually became more technical as he got older, eventually merging into basic (kick)boxing, lots of improvised self defense training, etc.

He's done a grand total of two formal MA/combat sport classes in his life (judo when he was about 10 and a weekend Systema workshop a couple of years ago) but he's hell on wheels in a fight now. I'm trying to get him interested in MMA because I think it would suit his temperament.

Matt Phillips
11/18/2008 3:38pm,
My son will be 7 in a couple of months. He's training in BJJ and Muay Thai, and I do roll with him at home. I first got him started in Karate to get him interested, and get used to learning in a class environment. We just moved to Austin, and I have a heavybag to hang up this evening :)

I started my kid Thai boxing at 7 yrs also. It's a good age for it. Do you have problems with parents of (school yard) bullies calling you to complain about black eyes. I laugh at them. A trained 7 year old hits harder than an untrained 11 year old.

anza
11/18/2008 3:52pm,
Do you have problems with parents of (school yard) bullies calling you to complain about black eyes.

Not yet ... but I don't discourage him to stick up for himself either. I'm more worried about him goofing off and grabbing other kids in a MT head lock and kneeing them in the groin ... that'd hurt.

Matt Phillips
11/18/2008 4:22pm,
Not yet ... but I don't discourage him to stick up for himself either. I'm more worried about him goofing off and grabbing other kids in a MT head lock and kneeing them in the groin ... that'd hurt.

Lol. Better the groin than the face :qshatter:

Vorpal
11/18/2008 4:49pm,
<<<<<<< Living room as dojo.

gandp1120
11/18/2008 5:08pm,
When I first met my wife I was already had my BB in TKD and was doing Amature kickboxing. Her daughter, from her first marriage, thought that kicking stuff was the coolest thing since sliced bread. My idea was to enroll her at the same place and it was a good opportunity to get to know my now step-daughter a little better. She was 7 and having a great time tell her dad, who is not the most physically imposing person you will ever meet, showed up to pick her up. My trainer and I were in the middle of sparring hard. She never came back. Her dad said he didn't like all the violence.

I bit my tounge and said ok and left it at that.

Now that I started training bjj I got my wife involved and when she comes to class our 2 1/2 year old son is there and he is starting to catch on. He is trying to RNC me and also throws the armbar. So as soon as he is 4 he is all over the bjj. Already got his gi.