PDA

View Full Version : Concerned about my BJJ training.

Pages : [1] 2

Rask
11/16/2008 9:10pm,
Hey guys,

Iíve just started BJJ and Iím loving it Ė Gracie Barra to be more specific. Something Iíve noticed however is that all the sparring/rolling we do in class is started from the knees or from the guard, so thereís no chance to practice throws or takedowns. The instructor told me that once a month or so a Judo instructor comes in and teaches throws and takedowns but other than on those occasions this aspect of fighting is not trained at this BJJ school. I want to train for BJJ competitions, but also to be a well-rounded fighter who can fight capably in real situations (t3h d34dly sTr33Tz); and thus I figure that skill in throws and takedowns is necessary. I have past experience in Wing Chun and have just started SE-Asian Kickboxing, so I feel like Iím covered for striking and in-fighting.

Questions: Should I be worried that my school only teaches throws/takedowns once a month or so?
Will these once-a-month sessions be enough to learn these techniques proficiently?
Would I be better to cross-train in Judo (perhaps one night per week, in addition to my two night per week of BJJ) in order to develop my skill at throws?
Am I mistaken in my idea that knowing throws and takedowns is really important for fighting Ė am I stressing over something really unimportant?

Have mercy.

Kentucky Fried Chokin
11/16/2008 9:16pm,
The starting from the knees part is pretty common, and the lack of takedowns is one of the more maligned parts of BBJ. My club only teaches takedowns once a week. You're not going to learn **** from once a month practices. You could definatley cross train in Judo to learn takedowns, but if you're still in school I recommend just joining the wrestling team. Also, if you've got the time you should try and make it to class more than twice a week.

Edit: Just noticed you're in Austraila, so no wrestling for you.

Rask
11/16/2008 9:26pm,
Indeed, no high school wrestling over here. As for the rest; thanks for the advice :)

Kentucky Fried Chokin
11/16/2008 9:27pm,
No takedowns = pull guard as your takedown

M.C.
11/16/2008 9:41pm,
Hmm, I guess I am spoiled because we drill takedowns almost (lets say 19/20) every class. But as suggested earlier if you do care about your takedowns, go train some Judo and learn how to do 2-6 take downs, that is all you ever need. Learn them as good as possible and you will have your ass covered for 99,5% of the time.

1point2
11/16/2008 9:48pm,
Hmm, I guess I am spoiled because we drill takedowns almost (lets say 19/20) every class. But as suggested earlier if you do care about your takedowns, go train some Judo and learn how to do 2-6 take downs, that is all you ever need. Learn them as good as possible and you will have your ass covered for 99,5% of the time.

Drill but not start from? That's how it was the one time I went to Renzo's, so I could be wrong. It's a lot better than once a month, but there's really no substitute for tachiwaza randori.

I think doing BJJ and kickboxing sounds like plenty for now. Maybe later pick up judo.

M.C.
11/16/2008 9:55pm,
Well in the Bluebelt class you don't do it, but in the purple/no-gi class you do start with takedowns.
There are several reasons why they don't start the rolling in the bluebelt class with the takedown, space+possible injury+working on specific positions are only a few of them.

1point2
11/16/2008 10:17pm,
Well in the Bluebelt class you don't do it, but in the purple/no-gi class you do start with takedowns.
There are several reasons why they don't start the rolling in the bluebelt class with the takedown, space+possible injury+working on specific positions are only a few of them.

Makes sense. The day I was there, they didn't even start from knees, it was so crowded in the blue belt class. Only positional rolling.

Which is another good point for the OP--when you're just starting out, don't worry about what you're going to learn or whether a specific aspect of your game is sufficient. If you've found a good place, they'll take care of you. If not, like I said, judo later.

Hedgehogey
11/16/2008 10:19pm,
I thought places like that were a myth. Must be a Gracie Barra thing.

Rask
11/17/2008 2:07am,
Okay, looks like I might have to do some Judo cross-training. But, (hypothetically) if I didn't have decent skills with takedowns and throws but I had good grappling skills, would I still get my ass kicked in a BJJ tournament?

shtupidhead
11/17/2008 2:44am,
the issue would be that you would start from a disadvantaged position.

being ahead on points from the onset of the fight makes competition so much easier.

cross train in judo

Rask
11/17/2008 8:10am,
Will they let me wear my BJJ gi to Judo classes, or will I have to buy a Judo gi?

PointyShinyBurn
11/17/2008 8:16am,
if I didn't have decent skills with takedowns and throws but I had good grappling skills, would I still get my ass kicked in a BJJ tournament?
You can compete and win in BJJ with no throwing or take down skills at all. There are plenty of BJJers who start every match by pulling guard.

Will they let me wear my BJJ gi to Judo classes, or will I have to buy a Judo gi?
The cut of competition legal gis are slightly different, but unless it's massively patch-covered or flashy (or you get a particularly anal Judo instructor) they're not likely to care for practice.

Asriel
11/17/2008 8:42am,
I wore my BJJ Gi at Judo and Vice Versa, noone seemed to care.

But I have no patches what so ever

Lindz
11/18/2008 12:47am,
It seems like a pretty negligent gap in your skills. Plagiarizing (I think from hedgehogey's handlebar mustache thread) this. What would you do against a judoka? He could throw you almost with impunity and would stand up as soon as he could. Scoring points without ever giving you the chance to gain some back on the ground.

Or what about a fight on the deadly streets. If your mugger has an effective sprawl you're fucked.

cuatro76
11/18/2008 1:23am,
IMO, since you're training 2 MA's, adding Judo right now isn't the best idea. Get the hang of BJJ and the kickboxing first. Them maybe a year from now start doing Judo. But keep in mind, to get competent with Judo throws you should do it 3-4 time a week (just as you should do BJJ and kick boxing 3-4 times a week).